Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

Does anyone know when NAToTY and the separate Motor Trend Truck of the Year will be/historically have been announced?
Last years NAToTY was announced on January 11th, 2021.
The Motor Trend ToTY was announced on Dec 2nd, 2020.
Sponsored

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Dang... looks like they're leaning in favor of value.

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
The Maverick won.

Sponsored

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

Yep. I mean, they knocked it out of the park with the value proposition. The Rivian is a better truck by every standard, but it's 4 times the price. I can see why the Maverick won on that alone.
Agreed. If they weighted the results towards value, then the Maverick wins. No argument from me on that at all. The Rivian, is an excellent value for its price, but you still have to pay that price.

ja_kub_sz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 LR Discovery, 2019 LR Range Rover Velar
I have to disagree... To contextualize value is something that's debatable especially after they gave the Jeep Gladiator top honors last year (value?).

Have there been better trucks with a better price point (value) in years prior? Perhaps... which is why I say this is a easily biased way to come to their conclusion weighting value as the deciding factor. It's important, but probably lower on the list of significant criteria for "Truck of the Year" honors considering everything that the R1T does that no other truck ever has.

Without question though regarding the R1T its...

An EV pickup (that's a first)

A non-full size trick that tows 11k lbs (that's a fist)

A truck that hits 0-60 in 3 seconds (that's a first)

A truck with driving dynamics and performance numbers such as the R1T; G's, suspension, handling, slalom, stopping, 0-100-0, etc. (that's a first).

Has utility, and off road prowess second to none (that's a first) Hummer EV withstanding, but that's an *

To say the Maverick won out because it's so cheap compared to what you get (value), well another person who "values" cheaper vehicles could say a cheaper truck is better because it's certainly cheaper. But you have to place a value on what your getting. And regarding the R1T there has never been another truck to offer up what it does, so the value proposition is off the charts considering it's cheaper then the best full size trucks on the market that have won this title before (2019 Ram) who can't and never have been able to offer up what it does.

And put this in perspective this award was given to the Jeep Gladiator last year (seriously?). What does said vehicle have to offer in the "value" category considering that the Gladiator costs 65k?

I wholeheartedly disagree with this conclusion.

Not saying the Maverick isn't a great value, but considering what you get at 75k for the Rivian with it's EV value alone, that value has never even been remotely seen before in the truck segment.
Sponsored