Sponsored

cohall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Another video of R1T on the road in Cali somewhere.

And possibly a hint to what it will sound like at low speeds? I can't tell if it's the Rivian making the sound, or the delivery van behind it. If it's the Van, that's one bad-ass sounding delivery van.

Sponsored

Eager2own

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Rivian R1T LE
Another video of R1T on the road in Cali somewhere.

And possibly a hint to what it will sound like at low speeds? I can't tell if it's the Rivian making the sound, or the delivery van behind it. If it's the Van, that's one bad-ass sounding delivery van.

Sounds like the van behind it. I particularly hope so as the sound was there when the R1T is not even moving, and I'd hope that the sound isn't required when the vehicle is in full stop.

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
Sounds like the van behind it. I particularly hope so as the sound was there when the R1T is not even moving, and I'd hope that the sound isn't required when the vehicle is in full stop.
Anytime it is out of "Park" it is required.

49 CFR § 571.141
S5.1.1 Stationary. When stationary the vehicle must satisfy S5.1.1.1 and S5.1.1.2 whenever the vehicle's propulsion system is activated and:​
(i) In the case of a vehicle with an automatic transmission, the vehicle's gear selector is in Neutral or any gear position other than Park that provides forward vehicle propulsion;​
(iii) in the case of a vehicle with a manual transmission, the vehicle's parking brake is released and the gear selector is not in Reverse.​
S5.1.1.1 For detection, the vehicle must emit a sound having at least the A-weighted sound pressure level according to Table 1 in each of four non-adjacent bands spanning no fewer than 9 of the 13 bands from 315 to 5000 Hz.​
S5.1.1.2 For directivity, the vehicle must emit a sound measured at the microphone on the line CC' having at least the A-weighted sound pressure level according to Table 1 in each of four non-adjacent bands spanning no fewer than 9 of the 13 bands from 315 to 5000Hz.​

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/49/571.141

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
I think that sound is the truck, and it sounds like a high tech artificial exhaust. When the van starts moving, I think its engine noise is distinguishable & completely different.

You never know with these videos, but if the noise is coming from the R1T, I don't hate it...

azbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mach E, Hummer EV SUT
Occupation
Engineer
Anytime it is out of "Park" it is required.

49 CFR § 571.141
S5.1.1 Stationary. When stationary the vehicle must satisfy S5.1.1.1 and S5.1.1.2 whenever the vehicle's propulsion system is activated and:​
(i) In the case of a vehicle with an automatic transmission, the vehicle's gear selector is in Neutral or any gear position other than Park that provides forward vehicle propulsion;​
(iii) in the case of a vehicle with a manual transmission, the vehicle's parking brake is released and the gear selector is not in Reverse.​
S5.1.1.1 For detection, the vehicle must emit a sound having at least the A-weighted sound pressure level according to Table 1 in each of four non-adjacent bands spanning no fewer than 9 of the 13 bands from 315 to 5000 Hz.​
S5.1.1.2 For directivity, the vehicle must emit a sound measured at the microphone on the line CC' having at least the A-weighted sound pressure level according to Table 1 in each of four non-adjacent bands spanning no fewer than 9 of the 13 bands from 315 to 5000Hz.​

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/49/571.141
Yes, that is how my Bolt works, the sound is on as soon as you go out of park.

Sponsored

azbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mach E, Hummer EV SUT
Occupation
Engineer
I think that sound is the truck, and it sounds like a high tech artificial exhaust. When the van starts moving, I think its engine noise is distinguishable & completely different.

You never know with these videos, but if the noise is coming from the R1T, I don't hate it...
The sound is similar to my Bolt, but the Rivian seems louder, and the Bolt does not change the sound as it accelerates.

harkco

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE / 2018 Lexus GX
I don't know - didn't Rivian release a video at some point talking about how quiet their vehicles were. Maybe it was on Long Way Down? I just seem to remember a video where an engineer at Rivian was talking about the only sound you would hear was the sound of nature or something silly like that.

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I don't know - didn't Rivian release a video at some point talking about how quiet their vehicles were. Maybe it was on Long Way Down? I just seem to remember a video where an engineer at Rivian was talking about the only sound you would hear was the sound of nature or something silly like that.
Yeah, I remember something like that too. I just hope there is an option to disable the noise, especially when out in nature. If not, I'll have to do it the old fashioned way...

P.S. Beautiful pup & glad to see the Texas contingent growing here!

AltaTruck

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda RX8, R1T, Alta EXR (road) , Alta EXR (woods)
Occupation
Retired Science teacher
The feature of the Alta electric dirt bike that sold me was.................No Noise. I could hear the traction of my tires over the uneven terrain. If that is the noise from the R1T I will be looking for a way to reduce it.

harkco

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE / 2018 Lexus GX
Thanks! She is a 3 year old beast at this point! And yes - looking forward to the Texas Rivian "wave" at some point.

Sponsored

UT Rivian

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMWM2
I love seeing the (more frequent now) test vehicle sightings of the R1T.

I wish we could see just one R1S though.

Mjhirsch78

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Odyssey became an R1T: MAGIC!
Occupation
Teacher
I could do with a sound like that if we can turn it off in the woods, maybe a notification that I accept responsibility for injury (most likely deer, squirrels, or rabbits jumping at us)

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I love seeing the (more frequent now) test vehicle sightings of the R1T.

I wish we could see just one R1S though.
I'm not sure they're producing them yet. We know the Ts started rolling off the line back in October, so it's probably about time for the S to start.
Sponsored