Sponsored

Max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Truck
I was disappointed that the low speed noise maker was not drowned. I am not sure how but it looks like it is water proof.

Last edited:

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

Probably needed to air down considerably more.
The AT tires really aren't well suited for that sort of activity. Even airing them down won't replace some knobby M/Ts to get purchase in that type of slick mud.

OrthoBlock

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, X5 PHEV

YouTube Rex Briggs
I hope they have the ability to increase the torque applied to the wheels in an OTA (e.g., by reprogramming at least some of the off-road modes.)

It makes me sad to continue to see these videos where wheels that might have traction are not spinning on an R1T in an off-road situation. I was always excited about the ability to do away with lockers, by being able to just apply enough power to each wheel individually, but I'm beginning to have more doubts about whether or not the current solution can in fact apply enough torque to each wheel...

Oh well. Crossing fingers that an OTA will fix all :)

p.s., I can't help but have to comment on the traction related comments (they always seem to come up when a Rivian struggles off-road): whether it is tyre type, or amount of air in the tire, in a situation where a tire is not spinning, tire with better traction would have not done anything better--I realize that it's possible that one of the tires that WAS spinning might have benefitted from better traction.

Sponsored

Cavalryscout18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
I hope they have the ability to increase the torque applied to the wheels in an OTA (e.g., by reprogramming at least some of the off-road modes.)

It makes me sad to continue to see these videos where wheels that might have traction are not spinning on an R1T in an off-road situation. I was always excited about the ability to do away with lockers, by being able to just apply enough power to each wheel individually, but I'm beginning to have more doubts about whether or not the current solution can in fact apply enough torque to each wheel...

Oh well. Crossing fingers that an OTA will fix all :)

p.s., I can't help but have to comment on the traction related comments (they always seem to come up when a Rivian struggles off-road): whether it is tyre type, or amount of air in the tire, in a situation where a tire is not spinning, tire with better traction would have not done anything better--I realize that it's possible that one of the tires that WAS spinning might have benefitted from better traction.
When I saw that video, at first I thought the same thing. But later in the video it seemed like he switched from off-road all purpose to rock crawl. Why would you try that on all purpose and only after 6 attempts did they put it in rock crawl? Seems like people are still trying to figure out all of the different settings and which ones to use for each scenario.

Inkedsphynx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 LE R1T, '21 CB500FA, '21 CMX1100A
Yea, you can definitely tell that the torque mapping for the wheels is different in rock crawl, and they should have been in rock crawl to begin with, for this obstacle. That would have been where I'd set it. Once they set Rock Crawl, i think they'd have been fine without the max trax, just needed to give it some juice and get a bit of a start, rather than trying to start it halfway up the embankment at an off-camber angle with the passenger driver wheel up against a tall vertical obstacle.

Honey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford edge 2013
Occupation
Firefighter
How would the r1s fair since it has a greater departure angle.

Honey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford edge 2013
Occupation
Firefighter
Going off that steep drop with any expensive vehicle is a strange choice
I know, but I am still curious though.
Sponsored