First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
You've now got me wondering. Is the R1S big enough to put a washing machine in the back. Enquiring minds want to go to Home Depot to find out. *laying down obviously*
I haven't seen an R1S in person yet, but I would think that should be no problem at all. If I can fit both a W/D (boxed) in the bed of my Tacoma it should should work lying down in an SUV. I think most washers are approximately 30" deep (front to back).
Sponsored

madgrey

First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2016 Miata, 2015 Viper
Occupation
Hardware Design Verification
I went from a RAM2500 to a RAM1500 after I sold the Airstream trailer. Now, I'm getting by fine with an R1T. With a large property and many car projects, the R1T is perfect for my "truck stuff". I'm mostly hauling around engines and other car parts, tractor parts and green waste. I also do occasional towing (cars short distances, picked up a 4-post lift recently). One thing I might miss is hauling long lumber (I recently built a 10 foot long ramp for one of my sheds). The R1T also does fine hauling the two 90 gallon cans down to the pickup area 1/4 mile away. I like being able to put it in kneel mode, makes it easier to lift the recycles can into the bed. The other one goes on a special hitch receiver. Very truck like stuff.

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

You've now got me wondering. Is the R1S big enough to put a washing machine in the back. Enquiring minds want to go to Home Depot to find out. *laying down obviously*
I personally would never transport a washer machine laying down.

mabowden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Kia Seltos SX
Occupation
Toby Flenderson
I personally would never transport a washer machine laying down.
Also, I've seen more than one time a washing machine bust out a rear window. Not sure this would happen on the R1S but on more of the "Swoopy" suv, where the first thing to hit the washer if it slides back is glass. I would just pay to get it delivered :).

moosehead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Ioniq 5, ‘78 Jeep Wagoneer
Last week I dropped my wife off at the local Porsche dealer to get her Cayenne a winter wheel set. Brought the R1T to take her street setup home and pulled around the rear service area to load up the wheels.

The Rivian somehow drew a small crowd even in the back lot. One dood pulled his Taycan around to ask if I wanted to race.

I said sure, but may want to keep the wheel set loaded in the R1T to make it a fair fight.

Sponsored

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Welcome to the Maple Valley area! I'll keep any eye out for a breathing body of tats in another R1T. :)

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Welcome to the Maple Valley area! I'll keep any eye out for a breathing body of tats in another R1T. :)
He'll be the guy with a truck full of legos.

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

frostbit3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Engineer
My R1T replaced a Silverado 1500 that I had for years, and its meet about 90% of my needs. Some issues i've had with it was transporting a couple of TV's as they wouldn't fit in the bed with the tailgate up, so I had to get creative on how to fit them. They would have fit in my Silverado no problem.

The other issue that I personally have is hauling lumber, I'm waiting for someone to release bed rails that I can put on the truck so I can haul lumber, which I've seen a few but AFAIK they haven't reached the market yet.

Other than that, it's been great as far as comparing it to a typical truck.

windblowlc

First Name
Loc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911 Turbo S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo Coupe
Occupation
Retired
That's awesome! We forget sometimes that "truck stuff" isn't just hauling plywood and tools. It's also the regular stuff we all have to do in our trucks, like moving, shopping, loading and unloading. That's why I switched to a Tacoma after years of SUVs - I can't pick up a washer/ dryer for our business in an SUV. I can't wait to do it in my R1T.
Same here. I switched to a Ridgeline and it was amazing the amount of stuff it can facilitate, from moving to hauling to remodeling etc... Hopefully someone can come out with a cab height crossbars so I can carry the longer stuff on top of my R1T.

Sponsored

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Same here. I switched to a Ridgeline and it was amazing the amount of stuff it can facilitate, from moving to hauling to remodeling etc... Hopefully someone can come out with a cab height crossbars so I can carry the longer stuff on top of my R1T.
I am sure someone will. There are a couple cab height overlanding racks that will be available soon, so clever people are working on attachment points, etc. other types of racks can’t be far behind.

OP
OP

Inkedsphynx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 LE R1T, '21 CB500FA, '21 CMX1100A
My main takeaway from this thread is that @Inkedsphynx has approximately 22,000lbs worth of legos.
If I had an hour to burn I'd look up the weight of each set and total them up. It's a sizeable collection, though the heaviest set is probably the Imperial Star Destroyer (Sadly sold my Super Star Destroyer a few years back) and it's ~7lbs, so while it's a heavy collection, it's probably only a few hundred pounds at most.

If I had 11 tons worth of Lego I'd be selling them from my personal warehouse and retiring 😆 I wonder which is cheaper by weight - Lego or Cocaine? 😆

Count Orlok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1S/ 2024 INEOS Grenadier/ 1969 Ford / etc.
Occupation
retired
I'll call it a truck when the front end is robust enough for a snow plow.

Bonobojones

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T Adventure, 1989 Isuzu Trooper
Occupation
Winemaker
Oh this thing is a truck all right. I've posted here a couple times showing me use my R1T as a work truck at my winery. It replaced an F-250 and I've used them identically, and the R1T matches and exceeds in every way. Since I'm using it as an Ag truck, I am at the farm supply all the time hauling full trailers of equipment and feed, and I get a lot of questions about how it is holding up and performing. Even though i work in tried and true "Truck Country", I get nothing but positive feedback. Trust me, nobody likes the price of diesel and any way of escaping that cost burden gets people's attention. I give it full glowing reviews except for my main complaint. The R1T as it stands is like a King Ranch/Denali outfitted truck and those are for gentleman farming, not everyday beating on. So I always tell people to be patient as someday hopefully Rivian will make a more rugged less bougie version.
I really feel like the outsider use case currently as it is a bit of a shame to use such a nice ass vehicle the way I am using it. Most people on the forums/reddit seem concerned about needing Car Play or dashcam and other OTA improvements. That makes sense, as I think most people are using it in more of a sedan/SUV use case. I just really wish there was a beefier more analog interior version coming down the pipeline, something that would be less cringe inducing as the front end loader dumps gravel in the bed. (Although a back-up mode to help more smoothly approach the trailer hitch WOULD be nice!) I have a feeling Rivian will probably cede that market to Ford/GM, but it's a bit of a shame as I feel the overall engineering and attention to detail at Rivian is just so much better.

OP
OP

Inkedsphynx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 LE R1T, '21 CB500FA, '21 CMX1100A
On the opposite end of the spectrum I don't live in anywhere I'd classically call 'truck country' (though there are a LOT of them, especially out here in the 'burbs), and while moving this last weekend I had someone pull up behind me in an older model beat up truck and start screaming and throwing stuff at my truck as soon as they pulled up behind me (I did absolutely nothing to antagonize them). I hopped out of my truck pretty pissed off to figure out what this asshole was throwing at it and by the time my feet hit the ground and I had turned around, he had a pistol pointed through the windshield at me.

Luckily I got back in my truck and managed to drive off without getting shot. Filed a police report, doubt anything much was done about it though.

No clue if this guy was just having a bad day or hates EVs (or Rivian specifically) or was just pissed that I was driving a nice truck and he was driving a rusted pile of garbage, but none of it excuses any little bit of that type of behavior. I hope nobody else has had any similar experiences.
Sponsored