First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2023 Mach-E
Occupation
Construction Management
I would argue the average person (myself included) don't care about "efficiency" we care about "range" because we operate under this assumption that charging the car is basically "free" (even though I realize it's not). I literally have no idea how much it will cost to charge it, but I also know that most of that cost will be hidden in my electricity bill which I never see because it's on autopay and I just get a notice that it's been settled every month (and that bill already fluctuates based on the season - so it's highly unpredictable)

So, folks are going to compare 314 EPA range vs. whatever else they are looking at.
Range is most important to me as well. You can easily see how much 135KW of power cost at your home, for me it's only about $8.00 so negligible as you mention. DCFC rates very considerably so a 20-80% charge could cost anywhere from $0.00-$85.00 depending on the network charge time etc... which is a material cost for me. Some people charge exclusively at home other exclusively on public chargers and mixed so cost to fill up is more complex than an ICE.
I thought it was comical you haven't considered cost to charge as it is one of the top 3 selling points for me.

mgc0216

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, BMW R1200RT, BMW F800GS
Occupation
Software guy
Clubs

I thought it was comical you haven't considered cost to charge as it is one of the top 3 selling points for me.
Primary assumption: It won't be more than filling up a truck with gas or diesel. It might be more than 300 miles of range in my Subaru in some cases, but probably not on average. So overall it's going to cost me much less to operate the R1T/R1S than an ICE (esp if you include maintenance).

Secondary consideration: It's not going to be enough to make me second guess the purchase because it's not going to be enough that I think about it all that often since I expect 90% of the time I'll charge at home

What I am worried about is how much I'm going to spend to put in a home charger (my current breaker panel is full, and it's in my house and my garage is detached). If I was amortizing that cost as part of the "charging" costs then then I might be afraid, but I'm choosing to ignore that.

ChrissyOne

First Name
Chrissy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus RX350, R1T Pre-order
Occupation
Creative Production Manager at Wizards of the Coast
Well whaddaya got? ?

Sponsored

ChrissyOne

First Name
Chrissy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus RX350, R1T Pre-order
Occupation
Creative Production Manager at Wizards of the Coast
I honestly wish I knew anything about the TF game. I do. I love to help people. It’s my job to bring you joy through gaming. I love it even more than trolling Elon Musk fans. But sadly I got nothin. ?

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
This accolade from Edmonds (the inaugural award) is just silly. They rated it a 7 in efficiency because it is far less efficient than a Chevy Bolt! C'mon Edmonds, appreciate that you like it but this does more to confuse the average consumer who still doesn't understand BEV's.
Yeah, their ratings are just stupid. Somehow it has the same efficiency and range rating as the XC40?

Sponsored