First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
I have verified that the inverter produces 120 VAC (121.5 no load) at 59.9 Hz with 2.4% THD.
Sponsored

pc500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
dodge ram
If you're willing please do a load test up to the tripping point and post how it fades. My experience is I ran ~300 watts over the rating before it tripped, but that was a hairdryer and kill-a-watt meter during a demo drive.

I'm also very curious if the inverter runs off the high voltage system or the low voltage. I need 2,200 watts for RV AC, so I'm wondering if its upgradable.

Ladiver

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GMC 3500, Corvette Z06, Rivian R1T, Rivian R1S
Clubs

For us common-folk, what does this mean?
You can’t run a hair dryer off your truck.

I think this was a miss by Rivian. Hopefully, the inverter will be upgradable.

chrismc

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
r1t
I think this was a miss by Rivian. Hopefully, the inverter will be upgradable.
A huge miss! Of all things to cheap out on, the price difference for a larger inverter would have been negligible on a truck this expensive. I would expect 120V/2400W (3600 surge), or a very solid 1800W as absolute bare minimum. 240V/30A (7.2kW) would be perfect!

Sponsored

OP
OP

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
For us common-folk, what does this mean?
It was meant to resolve the uncertainty as to whether the inverter produced 110 or 120V.

As for a load test - I'm trying to get out of towns as soon after the 4th as we can and so won't be able to do a load test. As to whether it is powered from the traction or 12V I'd guess it's the former as it would be a 125A draw from the latter.

atebit

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Porsche Boxster
Clubs

Plus, I don’t even think the 12V is a proper “car” battery anyway. It was the same thing in my Taycan, like a glorified alarm system backup battery.
Now, I don’t think that a BEV necessarily needs a series-whatever wet cell battery like your grandfather’s Fairlane, but given the criticality of some of the electrical consumers the 12V system oughta be a little more robust in order to give it more autonomy from the traction battery if that were to have a critical failure.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Plus, I don’t even think the 12V is a proper “car” battery anyway. It was the same thing in my Taycan, like a glorified alarm system backup battery.
Now, I don’t think that a BEV necessarily needs a series-whatever wet cell battery like your grandfather’s Fairlane, but given the criticality of some of the electrical consumers the 12V system oughta be a little more robust in order to give it more autonomy from the traction battery if that were to have a critical failure.
This is precisely why they use a deep cycle (probably AGM) battery instead of a "proper" (by your definition) car battery. The different battery types are designed to support different load cycles.

atebit

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Porsche Boxster
Clubs

No, most of my recent cars have had AGM batteries. They just weren’t so itty-bitty.

Sponsored

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
The 2.4% THD figure is respectable and is below the acceptable THD threshold for so called "sensitive" electronic devices.

1,500 watts max (12.5 amps) is not terrible as most modern portable devices will draw well below that figure. It really reinforces the fact that Rivian did not design the R1T as a true "work truck" where it would be used at job sites to power table saws, floor sanders, miter saws, etc...

pc500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
dodge ram
The 2.4% THD figure is respectable and is below the acceptable THD threshold for so called "sensitive" electronic devices.

1,500 watts max (12.5 amps) is not terrible as most modern portable devices will draw well below that figure. It really reinforces the fact that Rivian did not design the R1T as a true "work truck" where it would be used at job sites to power table saws, floor sanders, miter saws, etc...
it just sucks because it missed one critical aspect: Camping with a RV. 2,200 watt would have done that -- most people use that honda inverter genset.

thrill

First Name
billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
i3s, (r1t)
Does anyone have a photo of the inverter(s) used for the 120v system? How swappable will it be or are they on a dedicated board requiring keyholevehicularsurgery to change?

Max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Truck
I agree that 1,500 watts is not terrible but I respectfully disagree with the implication that a respectable power output is a "work truck" feature. Anyone that goes on an adventure lives in a home and can benefit from decent power during an outage. Folks that go camping as mentioned above could use more power on an adventure. I bet people that go off the beaten path on an adventure with their R1 and run out of juice would rather to get a boost from another R1 with 240V/30A output rather than being demoralized by a Lightning coming to help their flagship R1T. Electricity is not just for work. 1,500 Watts is OK on R2 but R1 could do better.
Sponsored