Sponsored

Huchen_Dong

First Name
Dong
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
As far as I know, there are 3 to 4 Rivians in China.
Two of them got Critical Battery Issue and one shipped back the US to fix(not sure whether come back), mine is the other.

Mine arrived in China like in September 2022(with sunroof glass had cracks). I waited for like half year since I booked it. It's a second hand car, but nearly brand new.
After the car arrived. I charged the HV battery full, drived a few miles and leaved it outdoor for 2 or 3 day. Then I found I couldn't unlock the car. I realized that the 12V battery might die(normally the DCDC should be working to make sure the 12V battery will not run out). I jump start then I found so many telltales pop up and I couldn't charge or put in drive. I thought the 12V battery might not full enough so I took out of the car (I found there were two but small! )and charged full. The issue were not fixed.

I tried so many times to reset(both softwares and the vehicle) in October 2022 but failed. I left it for about 5 months with 260 miles left in the HV battery.

Recently I chat online with Rivian technical support and I am been told to do a sleep cycle(lock all doors, make sure nothing on the seats or any seat belts plugged in, lock the car and take the key far enough, leave the car for 30-45min), it may help(I saw one R1T was fixed in this forum by sleep cycle, that one popped up many telltales, cannot put in drive too, but no Critical battery issue). If it doesn't work, the car must ship back to the US as Rivian say.(Customer Service Center only in the US? maybe). I saw a few case like mine, Rivian replace the HV battery to solve this problem at last.

I try a sleep cycle today(March 2023), the car didn't come back(250 miles left in the HV battery, the electric quantity barely drops, is there a security mode?). The last hope was gone.

So, here is the story. I attached some pics or videos blow.
Is there any way to fix the car without shipping back to the US?

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian R1T imported to China, Critical Battery Issue appeared! WechatIMG6

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian R1T imported to China, Critical Battery Issue appeared! WechatIMG4

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian R1T imported to China, Critical Battery Issue appeared! WechatIMG3

VIDEO:

Sponsored

Last edited:

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
It seems like some of the Rivians that were shipped to other parts of the world, the cause of their issue was the seller or shipping company failed to put it into shipping mode. We know of at least one person in Kuwait who this happened to and they actually found a third party EV repair company that brought theirs back to life again.

I believe the others are also going again too, although we don’t know for sure if it was all the same issue. I wouldn’t expect much help from Rivian on this. Without the truck being here there isn’t much they can do. If I were you I would try to find some EV experts in China who can get it figured out.

Good luck!

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Supposedly the way to do a full power-off reset after getting weird behavior after 12V batteries run down is to disconnect both batteries, charge the batteries up completely, then time re-engaging power on both of them to happen at exactly the same time.

Whether or not this will actually work for you, I've never needed to try on my truck before, so no idea. But if it's already a brick, I don't think you can make it drive any worse.

rivian_germany

First Name
D-Rok
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 R1T, '22 M3LR, '09 Honda Odyssey
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Can you try this:
1. Disconnect the 12v batteries and the HV battery
2. Reconnect the HV battery
3. Reconnect the 12v batteries *AT THE SAME TIME* - no more than a couple seconds apart
4. Wait 5-10 minutes for the truck to boot up
5. perform a hard reset (hazard button and left arrow on steering wheel)

Good luck!

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

"disassembled for benchmarking" must mean taken apart so the Chinese can steal all the technology that's copyrighted.
"The Chinese," how Donald of you 😃🫱🍿

Sponsored

OP
OP
Huchen_Dong

Huchen_Dong

First Name
Dong
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
It seems like some of the Rivians that were shipped to other parts of the world, the cause of their issue was the seller or shipping company failed to put it into shipping mode. We know of at least one person in Kuwait who this happened to and they actually found a third party EV repair company that brought theirs back to life again.

I believe the others are also going again too, although we don’t know for sure if it was all the same issue. I wouldn’t expect much help from Rivian on this. Without the truck being here there isn’t much they can do. If I were you I would try to find some EV experts in China who can get it figured out.

Good luck!
I know that car in Kuwait, I've seen the post, I'm very interested in how they fix it. I do have some engineer friends, maybe experts of fixing Tesla may have a clue to fix it. I'll try.
R1T is a cool product, it's a pity that I haven't fully experience it's performance.

OP
OP
Huchen_Dong

Huchen_Dong

First Name
Dong
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Supposedly the way to do a full power-off reset after getting weird behavior after 12V batteries run down is to disconnect both batteries, charge the batteries up completely, then time re-engaging power on both of them to happen at exactly the same time.

Whether or not this will actually work for you, I've never needed to try on my truck before, so no idea. But if it's already a brick, I don't think you can make it drive any worse.
Thank you for the hint. I‘ll try.

OP
OP
Huchen_Dong

Huchen_Dong

First Name
Dong
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Can you try this:
3. Reconnect the 12v batteries *AT THE SAME TIME* - no more than a couple seconds apart

Good luck!
You are the second person saying*AT THE SAME TIME*! I'll try! Hope u enjoy R1T in Germany!

OP
OP
Huchen_Dong

Huchen_Dong

First Name
Dong
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Can you try this:

Good luck!
Did u bring your truck back by the steps above?

rivian_germany

First Name
D-Rok
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Did u bring your truck back by the steps above?
I had the shipper disconnect in the USA and reconnect in Germany. I didn't do it personally but there was no issue. Hopefully it fixes the issue.

Sponsored

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
"The Chinese," how Donald of you 😃🫱🍿
Sorry your delicate sensibilities are offended but referring to a country by what they call themselves is not at all offensive. Only an asshole who’s pushing an agenda would think so.

If you don’t like what I say feel free to use that block button but I’m not going to apologize for saying something true and not at all offensive. Enjoy your popcorn.

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Sorry your delicate sensibilities are offended but referring to a country by what they call themselves is not at all offensive. Only an asshole who’s pushing an agenda would think so.

If you don’t like what I say feel free to use that block button but I’m not going to apologize for saying something true and not at all offensive. Enjoy your popcorn.
I would never block you, I respect your thoughts and opinions on here! We're all in the same boat (truck?). I just like poking fun, and eating popcorn. I hope to share a pitcher with you and others same day.

@Huchen_Dong search through the forums for "Kuwait" and "Germany" then hit up folks like @rivian_germany and @myboodai for advice. They've done this successfully.

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
I would never block you, I respect your thoughts and opinions on here! We're all in the same boat (truck?). I just like poking fun, and eating popcorn. I hope to share a pitcher with you and others same day.

@Huchen_Dong search through the forums for "Kuwait" and "Germany" then hit up folks like @rivian_germany and @myboodai for advice. They've done this successfully.
That’s all well and good if that’s your intention but I don’t personally care much for the implication that I’m acting Racist for making a valid and benign statement.

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
I had the shipper disconnect in the USA and reconnect in Germany. I didn't do it personally but there was no issue. Hopefully it fixes the issue.
Sort of OT... but since this was done before shipping, did you still lose HV battery energy (range) during the in-transit time? My guess is you did not lose any or anything like the 10mi/day people are commonly seeing.

rivian_germany

First Name
D-Rok
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Sort of OT... but since this was done before shipping, did you still lose HV battery energy (range) during the in-transit time? My guess is you did not lose any or anything like the 10mi/day people are commonly seeing.
No charge lost while it was unplugged. I don't have exact numbers since I wasn't present, but it was around 60% when unplugged and 57% when I picked it up about 22 days later.
Sponsored