First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Residential & Commerical Builder
A simple question but very important to those of us utilizing the truck for 8+ hour every day:
Have their been any estimates of idle time available for the R1T in a stationary with A/C or heat running? (R1Tspecfic question as less space to heat/cool than the SUV) A conversion would be nice showing something similar to: 1 mile=5 minutes of idle with a/c running type of scenario? (Complete random numbers when I state 1 mile = 5 mins.)
While I do log a few hundred miles a day, the other 6 hours I am working in the vehicle without any driving but just using the 110V plug and air conditioning.
This would be the deciding factor for me in battery choice.
Sponsored

Smithery

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MX 100D, XC70, Cooper S JCW, R1T Large
The guidance from Tesla in Model S/X is "leaving the AC on full blast costs you 5 miles of range per hour"

Averaging between S and X that implies about a 1.5kw power draw for the compressor.

In practice, if you're parked - especially in the shade - and set a reasonable temperature, it should use half that, or less.

We once used dog mode in our Model X for 5 hours to keep the AC at 70º
It was ~100º out.
We parked in 90% shade, by the time we got back were maybe only 15% shaded.

The average power draw over that 5 hours was more like 650w than 1.5kw.

After that experiment, we've internalized that "running the AC costs 2 miles per hour", and that's almost always exactly spot on.

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
The average power draw over that 5 hours was more like 650w than 1.5kw.

After that experiment, we've internalized that "running the AC costs 2 miles per hour", and that's almost always exactly spot on.
Which should be more like 1.5 R1T/S range miles per hour, since they are less efficient than Teslas at around 450Wh/mi (hopefully a bit better).

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
While I do log a few hundred miles a day, the other 6 hours I am working in the vehicle without any driving but just using the 110V plug and air conditioning.
This would be the deciding factor for me in battery choice.
A hundred miles of driving is going to consume about 45 kWh, 200 will take 90. The "working" range of a battery is 10 - 90 or better 20 - 80% of its SoC range that is 60 - 80% of its "capacity". So that means your 300 mile vehicle is, practically speaking, a 180 - 240 mile vehicle. For a "few" hundred miles you definitely want the 400 mile version auxiliary battery use or not.
Sponsored

Last edited: