Sponsored

martinb8

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y
Took delivery this past weekend of my R1T, Midnight, Black interior, 22" bright wheels. I ended up selling my 2020 Tesla Model Y to Carvana at the same time and so here are just some quick things to point out since I assume many people may be looking to make a similar jump.
  • Build quality on the R1T is 1,000x better then it was on my Model Y. It's not even close in comparison.
    • The panel gaps all seem within spec. Model Y had several panel issues that couldn't be fixed because they would make others worse.
    • The paint quality is excellent. Model Y had alot of orange peal in the paint.
    • Materials used are higher quality. This shouldn't surprise anyone.
  • Ride Quality
    • Given the R1T has multiple different ride options to choose from, you can find the type of ride you want and enjoy it if it's stiff or soft. The truck can handle pothole and bumpy roads. Model Y was always stiff, in my opinion.
    • R1T is significantly quieter when on the highway.
  • Things I miss about the Tesla? (Mostly software items that could be addressed with updates later)
    • I have not gone on a 500+ mile roadtrip yet, but I already know I'm going to dread not being able to use the Tesla Superchargers to charge up. Other fast charging options aren't nearly as reliable and that will give me anxiety. Fortunately, I can charge at home, and the rumor is Tesla will open up super chargers to non Tesla's sometime in the near-ish future.
    • No option for the windows to roll up automatically when the car is locked. Great for people who roll them down for pets as you drive or just enjoy them down in general. I've left my windows on the R1T down overnight on accident because of the habit from my Tesla
    • The Rivian app has some key missing features and in general, not user friendly compared to Tesla's
      • Rivian's app won't alert you to a door being open or a window being down if you're away from the truck.
      • No way to share a destination with the truck (that I'm aware of).
      • Visually, alot of dead space on the screen where they could improve appearance and flow
    • When stopped at a light or in traffic, I miss that my Tesla would chime when the light went green or the car ahead of me moved forward. It was so minor and I know Tesla pushed that as an update in recent years, but it really was awesome. This may take alot more time for Rivian to add given you have to code it to read traffic lights.
    • I read where others wished there was a "kneel" mode for the R1T for getting in and out. Up till I took delivery, I thought that was an overreaction to the ride height, but after having it for a few days, I would agree that having the truck "kneel" as you get in to allow easier entry would be extremely handy given it's still a little harder to climb in then the tesla was even at the lowest height and I'm 5'11"
  • Things I DON'T miss about Tesla?
    • FULL SELF DRIVING. I had it on my Model Y and it was nice for roadtrips, but not worth the cost, especially at today's pricing. The R1T driver assist is plenty for those roadtrips. yes, it would be nice if it changed lanes automatically and I assume that'll come in the next couple years, but I had no need for FSD to drive me around a city and when I used FSD Beta, it actually cause more issues then if I just drove it myself.
    • Estimated mileage was ALWAYS overstated for Tesla. I rarely, if ever, actually got close to 300 miles in range in my Model Y and I just accepted that and moved on. With the R1T, the mileage I see has actually been pretty spot on which has me cautiously optimistic...at least till the winter when things may not be great without a heat pump.
    • The lack of blind spot warning in the mirrors was a simple let down from my Tesla. Not sure why they chose to leave that off and relay simply on loud beeps to bring your attention to the center screen to see that someone is in your blindspot. Seems counterintuitive for someone trying to get to the left, to have to turn their head right. Fortunately, Rivian has the blind spot warning in the mirrors.
    • Paint quality was so bad on the Tesla. Small scratches would appear from the simplest of things because the paint was so thin.
    • Personally, I found the seat in the Tesla to be overly soft and not breathable so I'm thrilled to now have ventilated ones in the R1T. I know alot of people love their Tesla seats, but they weren't for me.
  • Notable design flaws on the R1T - not necessarily comparing to the Tesla
    • Wireless charging is basically useless unless you're sitting still. The phone slides all over the little rubber mat in the R1T. In my Tesla, my phone (iphone 12 max) was too big to charge on that wireless charger altogether so the Rivian is a little better here.
    • As others have mentioned, there is no tailgate handle to grab onto when putting the tailgate up. The tailgate is automatic in going down, but you have to manually push it up. Without the handle, there really is no good play to place your hand to do this and I suspect many may scratch the paint around that area.
    • I personally love the proximity sensors to tell when you're getting close to the truck to unlock it, but I would still like an audible noise (such as the chirp) to let me know it sense me. Just another way to know if I've set them off, intentionally or unintentionally.
    • I don't love the vents in the truck. I find them to be in an odd place and on a hot day when you just want cold air blowing on you, it's difficult to get that to happen given the middle vents are so low. It would have been nicer if it was coming out in the middle of the dash, similar to the tesla.
So that's it for now. I'm sure there are plenty of other things, but figured I would share my two cents. Feel free to ask any questions on this thread and I'll try to answer them when I have time.
Rivian R1T R1S R1T First Impressions and Comparisons Coming From a Tesla Model Y 7A1D874B-6E16-4F3B-A7F1-9BCBA796DFD9_1_105_c
Sponsored

Last edited:

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
This may be a good place to mention that we threw a 26 gal. air compressor (in carton) in the bed yesterday and when we got home we opened the tail gate and slid the carton over the top of the tail gate towards the floor of the garage. Problem was the trim piece on the top of the tall gate popped right off (it snaps on to the tailgate as so many trim pieces on modern cars do). The attachment is not secure. It snapped back on, of course, but frequent snapping and un-snapping cannot be good.

RealBillNye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer
I am really surprised that more people haven’t complained about a spot to lift the tailgate that wont scratch paint. It is the primary reason I am getting it covered in PPF.

TexasBob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Thanks for your write up. Coming from a model 3 I am particularly interested in your comments re FSD.
  • FULL SELF DRIVING. I had it on my Model Y and it was nice for roadtrips, but not worth the cost, especially at today's pricing. The R1T driver assist is plenty for those roadtrips. yes, it would be nice if it changed lanes automatically and I assume that'll come in the next couple years, but I had no need for FSD to drive me around a city and when I used FSD Beta, it actually cause more issues then if I just drove it myself.
I agree it is (a) not worth the current cost - but I only paid $7k for EAP and FSD including the computer upgrade so I am happy - and (b) still not all that useful on city streets. But that said, I find it super useful and super reliable on the highway. How do you find the Rivian DA versus the Enhanced Autopilot function? It is the one thing I am most reluctant to surrender on my Tesla.

OP
OP

martinb8

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y
@TexasBob I’d actually say EA is almost the same as DA+. The one caveat may be that DA+ May not work on as many highways as EA, but it’ll come with time. I’m in Columbus, Ohio and the major highways here are mapped which I was kind of shocked by. I did notice the Rivian tends to maybe be a little shaky when staying in the lane. What I mean by that is you’ll feel it bounce between the lanes subtly trying to stay centered. It’s pretty minimal, but I sensed it on some highways. Again, that should be improved overtime. One thing here also to note is I’m not sure how future proof the rivian is which is a mild concern of mine. If Rivian introduces future self driving (like FSD) can the current hardware support that? I don’t know. It has a lot of tech, but it’s notable the cameras on the rivian aren’t as sharp as the Tesla yet they’re able to get birdseye view and Tesla hasn’t done that yet.

Sponsored

TexasBob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
@TexasBob I’d actually say EA is almost the same as DA+. The one caveat may be that DA+ May not work on as many highways as EA, but it’ll come with time. I’m in Columbus, Ohio and the major highways here are mapped which I was kind of shocked by. I did notice the Rivian tends to maybe be a little shaky when staying in the lane. What I mean by that is you’ll feel it bounce between the lanes subtly trying to stay centered. It’s pretty minimal, but I sensed it on some highways. Again, that should be improved overtime. One thing here also to note is I’m not sure how future proof the rivian is which is a mild concern of mine. If Rivian introduces future self driving (like FSD) can the current hardware support that? I don’t know. It has a lot of tech, but it’s notable the cameras on the rivian aren’t as sharp as the Tesla yet they’re able to get birdseye view and Tesla hasn’t done that yet.
Thanks for the perspective. I suppose one good thing about being stuck with what will inevitably be a later 23 delivery is that Rivian may upgrade some of the camera tech. I think the biggest problem with the FSD will be the computer. Regardlesss of what people may say about Tesla's FSD, its new FSD computer has monster computing capacity. Still, I think its biggest flaw is not the system at all but the company's belligerent refusal to use detailed maps and geofencing. Even a human struggles to drive well in a complex new environment they have never seen before. AP sees everything for the first time every time it drives. Very annoying. But what do I know? Really appreciate you post. Thanks

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management
Also coming from a Model Y (and previously a Model 3 Performance) and agree with pretty much everything. Great writeup. I'd also add that the driving feel (ride comfort and performance) are superior to the Y and 3.

And I absolutely love having a full size spare and some proper sidewall - I have had no less than six flats in my Teslas in four years between the overly low profile tires, stiff ride, and lots of construction debris in my neighborhood. The R1T is both more durable and has a spare.

Thanks for your write up. Coming from a model 3 I am particularly interested in your comments re FSD.
I agree it is (a) not worth the current cost - but I only paid $7k for EAP and FSD including the computer upgrade so I am happy - and (b) still not all that useful on city streets. But that said, I find it super useful and super reliable on the highway. How do you find the Rivian DA versus the Enhanced Autopilot function? It is the one thing I am most reluctant to surrender on my Tesla.
I'd +1 not missing EAP in my Rivian. Driver+ is quite good and I'd actually rate the adaptive cruise as superior to Tesla. The only drawbacks are mapped roads only, trouble with tunnels, and no lane changes. And the stoplight chime as mentioned. But with those features I wouldn't miss EAP even if it had been free, let alone as a paid premium.

The FSD gimmick wore off fast; all I really want is great adaptive cruise and highway lane following, good emergency features, and maybe a few driver awareness features like light chimes as a bonus. Driver+ is 80% of the way there already.

OP
OP

martinb8

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y
Also coming from a Model Y (and previously a Model 3 Performance) and agree with pretty much everything. Great writeup. I'd also add that the driving feel (ride comfort and performance) are superior to the Y and 3.

And I absolutely love having a full size spare and some proper sidewall - I have had no less than six flats in my Teslas in four years between the overly low profile tires, stiff ride, and lots of construction debris in my neighborhood. The R1T is both more durable and has a spare.

I'd +1 not missing EAP in my Rivian. Driver+ is quite good and I'd actually rate the adaptive cruise as superior to Tesla. The only drawbacks are mapped roads only, trouble with tunnels, and no lane changes. And the stoplight chime as mentioned. But with those features I wouldn't miss EAP even if it had been free, let alone as a paid premium.

The FSD gimmick wore off fast; all I really want is great adaptive cruise and highway lane following, good emergency features, and maybe a few driver awareness features like light chimes as a bonus. Driver+ is 80% of the way there already.
@kylealden great comment about the tires/wheels. I had the truck like 48 hours before grazing a curb when trying to parallel park. As you mentioned, the tire sidewall is much better than a Tesla and the wheels were unharmed and all is well. On my MY I curb rashed 3 out of the 4 wheels and I honestly consider myself a good parker...but those Tesla wheels miserable.

norivian

First Name
norivianyet
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T in 2023 🤞
Took delivery this past weekend of my R1T, Midnight, Black interior, 22" bright wheels. I ended up selling my 2020 Tesla Model Y to Carvana at the same time and so here are just some quick things to point out since I assume many people may be looking to make a similar jump.
  • Build quality on the R1T is 1,000x better then it was on my Model Y. It's not even close in comparison.
    • The panel gaps all seem within spec. Model Y had several panel issues that couldn't be fixed because they would make others worse.
    • The paint quality is excellent. Model Y had alot of orange peal in the paint.
    • Materials used are higher quality. This shouldn't surprise anyone.
  • Ride Quality
    • Given the R1T has multiple different ride options to choose from, you can find the type of ride you want and enjoy it if it's stiff or soft. The truck can handle pothole and bumpy roads. Model Y was always stiff, in my opinion.
    • R1T is significantly quieter when on the highway.
  • Things I miss about the Tesla? (Mostly software items that could be addressed with updates later)
    • I have not gone on a 500+ mile roadtrip yet, but I already know I'm going to dread not being able to use the Tesla Superchargers to charge up. Other fast charging options aren't nearly as reliable and that will give me anxiety. Fortunately, I can charge at home, and the rumor is Tesla will open up super chargers to non Tesla's sometime in the near-ish future.
    • No option for the windows to roll up automatically when the car is locked. Great for people who roll them down for pets as you drive or just enjoy them down in general. I've left my windows on the R1T down overnight on accident because of the habit from my Tesla
    • The Rivian app has some key missing features and in general, not user friendly compared to Tesla's
      • Rivian's app won't alert you to a door being open or a window being down if you're away from the truck.
      • No way to share a destination with the truck (that I'm aware of).
      • Visually, alot of dead space on the screen where they could improve appearance and flow
    • When stopped at a light or in traffic, I miss that my Tesla would chime when the light went green or the car ahead of me moved forward. It was so minor and I know Tesla pushed that as an update in recent years, but it really was awesome. This may take alot more time for Rivian to add given you have to code it to read traffic lights.
    • I read where others wished there was a "kneel" mode for the R1T for getting in and out. Up till I took delivery, I thought that was an overreaction to the ride height, but after having it for a few days, I would agree that having the truck "kneel" as you get in to allow easier entry would be extremely handy given it's still a little harder to climb in then the tesla was even at the lowest height and I'm 5'11"
  • Things I DON'T miss about Tesla?
    • Estimated mileage was ALWAYS overstated for Tesla. I rarely, if ever, actually got close to 300 miles in range in my Model Y and I just accepted that and moved on. With the R1T, the mileage I see has actually been pretty spot on which has me cautiously optimistic...at least till the winter when things may not be great without a heat pump.
    • The lack of blind spot warning in the mirrors was a simple let down from my Tesla. Not sure why they chose to leave that off and relay simply on loud beeps to bring your attention to the center screen to see that someone is in your blindspot. Seems counterintuitive for someone trying to get to the left, to have to turn their head right. Fortunately, Rivian has the blind spot warning in the mirrors.
    • Paint quality was so bad on the Tesla. Small scratches would appear from the simplest of things because the paint was so thin.
    • Personally, I found the seat in the Tesla to be overly soft and not breathable so I'm thrilled to now have ventilated ones in the R1T. I know alot of people love their Tesla seats, but they weren't for me.
  • Notable design flaws on the R1T - not necessarily comparing to the Tesla
    • Wireless charging is basically useless unless you're sitting still. The phone slides all over the little rubber mat in the R1T. In my Tesla, my phone (iphone 12 max) was too big to charge on that wireless charger altogether so the Rivian is a little better here.
    • As others have mentioned, there is no tailgate handle to grab onto when putting the tailgate up. The tailgate is automatic in going down, but you have to manually push it up. Without the handle, there really is no good play to place your hand to do this and I suspect many may scratch the paint around that area.
    • I personally love the proximity sensors to tell when you're getting close to the truck to unlock it, but I would still like an audible noise (such as the chirp) to let me know it sense me. Just another way to know if I've set them off, intentionally or unintentionally.
    • I don't love the vents in the truck. I find them to be in an odd place and on a hot day when you just want cold air blowing on you, it's difficult to get that to happen given the middle vents are so low. It would have been nicer if it was coming out in the middle of the dash, similar to the tesla.
So that's it for now. I'm sure there are plenty of other things, but figured I would share my two cents. Feel free to ask any questions on this thread and I'll try to answer them when I have time.
7A1D874B-6E16-4F3B-A7F1-9BCBA796DFD9_1_105_c.jpeg
Thank you. Nice color! I am looking forward to getting mine. I have a 2021 TMY and luckily I don’t have some of the issues you mentioned while I could relate to a few. Having the Tesla app and user feedback/ experience to go by, Rivian should expectedly mature and get up to speed much faster(?). I am thinking twice about trading in mine for a Rivian now until some of these stability/reliability issues are more manageable.

The superchargers opening up is a downer (to be truthful 😊✌). It will be what it will be. The pain will depend on how it’s implemented. It will be for the common good and we’ll all benefit in the long run.

Separate topic but what does that make of the yet to be built RAN? Will it be open to all even right off the bat? We all like some level of exclusivity or is it just me :).

How about the people running EA set a higher expectation of themselves by making their system/equipment as reliable as Tesla’s and build more stations. They should have money and are charging money. If the future of EV charging networks are like how EA is now, mass adoption of EVs will be a major fail IMHO.

Sponsored

OP
OP

martinb8

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y
Thank you. Nice color! I am looking forward to getting mine. I have a 2021 TMY and luckily I don’t have some of the issues you mentioned while I could relate to a few. Having the Tesla app and user feedback/ experience to go by, Rivian should expectedly mature and get up to speed much faster(?). I am thinking twice about trading in mine for a Rivian now until some of these stability/reliability issues are more manageable.

The superchargers opening up is a downer (to be truthful 😊✌). It will be what it will be. The pain will depend on how it’s implemented. It will be for the common good and we’ll all benefit in the long run.

Separate topic but what does that make of the yet to be built RAN? Will it be open to all even right off the bat? We all like some level of exclusivity or is it just me :).

How about the people running EA set a higher expectation of themselves by making their system/equipment as reliable as Tesla’s and build more stations. They should have money and are charging money. If the future of EV charging networks are like how EA is now, mass adoption of EVs will be a major fail IMHO.
@norivian honestly, I don’t think the adventure network will ever be a network really. It’ll be some rivian chargers in parks and more remote areas but that’s it. And even then it’ll be one or two chargers there at most probably. It’s more so a necessity to provide them there given their market. I would have preferred them to just partner with like EA or another major charging company to invest money to speed up charger production and installation and to give free charging to buyers for a year or so.

Gsxr150

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F

Writing this as a Tesla owner. Yes, I have FSD and would never pay for it (came with my pre-owned vehicle). The only useful feature I have is the "ding" when the light turns green. Rivian will never have that.

It's unacceptable that Rivian doesn't have lane-centering on city streets. That's rediculous... Toyota Corola's have that simple feature. Come on Rivian.

Summon is an un-usable party trick. Unless the parking lot is totally empty and you want to impress your 3-year-old.

Being able to go forward or backwards out of a tight spot with the app is cool, but again, even inexpensive cars have that today. Rivian really should have that basic feature.

Then again, I'm not buying a Rivian for their Tesla competing software.

norivian

First Name
norivianyet
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T in 2023 🤞
@norivian honestly, I don’t think the adventure network will ever be a network really. It’ll be some rivian chargers in parks and more remote areas but that’s it. And even then it’ll be one or two chargers there at most probably. It’s more so a necessity to provide them there given their market. I would have preferred them to just partner with like EA or another major charging company to invest money to speed up charger production and installation and to give free charging to buyers for a year or so.
Good point. Am afraid you’re right but will be happier if we’re both wrong on that.

DJG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Various
Actually it's the opposite. The L3 Rivian Adventure Network is going to predominantly be located along interstates, and many are going to be right next to EA stations. Some will be in new locations like Salida, but the majority will replicate what already exists from EA.

The L2 Waypoint chargers are meant to be in the more remote locations like parks, because those are the places you have more time to charge or only need a small charge to get you to a L3 station.

mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Model Y
Nice detailed review.

We own a Model Y and appreciate that Rivian gives buyers an option to purchase a full size matching spare. The Model Y is not equipped with a spare OR run flat tires so a blowout event can be very stressful.
Sponsored