Sponsored

Ssaygmo

First Name
Sage
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt
Anyways, the downhill video looks promising in terms of wheel control, the uphill video looked pretty bumpy and I would have liked seeing them try to crawl it vs using momentum. A surprising amount of vehicles can make it up a hill using momentum, it slow speed technical crawling is a whole different story and shows articulation (which visually suffers here with the suspension in full extension mode). Good to see videos though, and I look forward to them sharing more as we get closer to production.

LeoH

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RIVIAN R1S, Tesla S, MAzda CX-30, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Software Engineering Director
Well since this is the same base recipe for R1S as well, this these clips convinced me to take up off-roading as a new hobby!

Sponsored

Dr. Byrd

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2001 Mustang GT convertible
Occupation
Professor, consultant, farmer
I drive on ā€œunimprovedā€œ river gravel and limestone chat roads a lot. Not quite as intense as this, but can be a challenge between loose rocks and washed out holes. I find these two videos quite reassuring for my most likely off road usage. Iā€™ll be able to get myself stuck in all new and inventive ways! :)

Eager2own

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜22 Rivian R1T LE
Anyone else notice the handles were out for the entire ascent video? That still bothers me for some reason.
People had speculated whether that was dependent on the car being in Park vs. Drive. Having seen several videos of it driving with handles out, Iā€™m wondering if that is dependent on doors being locked or unlocked (locked - handles in; unlocked - handles out?).

Rivian-WI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC60
People had speculated whether that was dependent on the car being in Park vs. Drive. Having seen several videos of it driving with handles out, Iā€™m wondering if that is dependent on doors being locked or unlocked (locked - handles in; unlocked - handles out?).
Could also be a matter of speed. Most likely someone got out to spot or run the camera. So, they popped out. Since they really don't get up to speed, they don't pop in and/or auto-lock the doors.

BillArnett

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T; Tesla Model 3 (Cybertruck on order)
Occupation
Retired
I'm not impressed. Lots of tire slippage. Despite trying to go too fast he lost his forward momentum at one point. That little hill would be child's play with my Wrangler. OK, I know Rivian isn't trying to be a serious off-roader. But I wish they would stop pretending to be. It will be a superb vehicle for cities and freeways and the occasional forest road. But from what I've seen so far it doesn't have a chance in H**l of getting thru the Rubicon Trail (as was promised at the event in Sausalito last year).

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
I'm not impressed. Lots of tire slippage. Despite trying to go too fast he lost his forward momentum at one point. That little hill would be child's play with my Wrangler. OK, I know Rivian isn't trying to be a serious off-roader. But I wish they would stop pretending to be. It will be a superb vehicle for cities and freeways and the occasional forest road. But from what I've seen so far it doesn't have a chance in H**l of getting thru the Rubicon Trail (as was promised at the event in Sausalito last year).
We havenā€™t seen a Rivian with serious off-road tires, yes.

Put the Rivian tires on a Wrangler and itā€™s not going to do well, imo.

Sponsored

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T
Are you talking about those Rubicons that get towed there on a trailer because they are completely intolerable to drive on main roads to get there? If so, you can tow them there with a Rivian!

OP
OP
Rhidan

Rhidan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Emme Hall said she drove the R1T up the top of Oldsmobile Hill in Glamis, the first time she had done so in a stock vehicle.

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
Two things:
1) As a Jeeper, you probably know that pics & video rarely do the terrain justice. They can make really steep stuff look tame.
2) Tires don't appear to be properly aired down, and that makes a world of difference in the rocks.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Emme Hall said she drove the R1T up the top of Oldsmobile Hill in Glamis, the first time she had done so in a stock vehicle.
Another good point. What we're seeing is a STOCK R1T. Most wranglers you see off-road have so much customization and aftermarket parts that they basically paid twice (or more) for their Jeep.

Ssaygmo

First Name
Sage
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt
My biggest issue with all the videos we have seen at lower speed, in low grip situations, is maintaining wheel speed synchronization ( like a locked center diff and locked front and rear axles gives you) which is essential for keeping momentum. When a fully locked 4x4 lifts tires in the air, the engine rpm stays the same and the weight of the vehicle and the power shifts to the tire with grip. Hopefully we see more programming fixing this, at the current time it looks like a Land Rover lr4 hopping up a hill (quite decent off-road but not much articulation and brake/computer based lockers that cannot maintain momentum like a fully locked 4x4 can.

As was stated previously though, this isnā€™t marketed as a rock crawler, less jeep rubicon and more as a luxury exploring vehicle like a Range Rover and Lexus.
Sponsored