Sponsored

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
I’d be interested to understand where this information came from? Rivian statement? CS? Forum speculation?
Thanks!
Here is what Rivian's web site states:
Rivian R1T R1S R1T charging port glowing green in new photo riv_cables
Sponsored

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
Here is what Rivian's web site states:
riv_cables.png
And it is likely to be 32A (16/25 = 64%, 48A x 64% = ~31A).
A 32A EVSE requires a 40A circuit, and the approved outlets on a 40A circuit are 6-50 and 14-50 (the 14-50 has a neutral and the 6-50 does not). The 14-50 is much more common, particularly at campgrounds and thus is almost certain to be the plug type of the included charging cable,

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

We've had our ClipperCreek LCS-25 20A charger for nearly 10 years and it's been very reliable. We used it to charge a Nissan Leaf, a Rav4 EV, and a Pacifica Hybrid. ClipperCreek has been around since the early Tesla days and sells both plug-in and hardwired chargers depending on your needs. For a Rivian, you would need to get something like the 40A HCS-50 model.
As for my Tesla, I never had to buy a charger for it. I've been using the mobile connector that it came with, plugged into a 14-50 outlet. It's been trouble-free for the last 8 years. My understanding is that the Rivian will also come with a level 2 charger that you can plug into a 14-50 outlet.
Laurent, Thanks for the info about your positive experience with the ClipperCreek equipment. I also appreciate the heads-up about the EVSE goodies that will accompany our Rivians. I was going to call today to inquire about that, as well as any recommendations they may have for plug-in and/or hardwired units. As soon as I posted this reply, I noticed the other great input from electruck and DucRider. Thanks to all of you for your inputs and insights!

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T
And it is likely to be 32A (16/25 = 64%, 48A x 64% = ~31A).
A 32A EVSE requires a 40A circuit, and the approved outlets on a 40A circuit are 6-50 and 14-50 (the 14-50 has a neutral and the 6-50 does not). The 14-50 is much more common, particularly at campgrounds and thus is almost certain to be the plug type of the included charging cable,
I’m assuming they will have one cable with various adapters. That’s what my Tesla came with. I think it has 3-4 different adapters which include standard 110v wall outlet and NEMA 14-50 that I’ve used. Not sure what other ones it has. Back then (2015) it was all included free with the car. From what I understand, now you have to pay extra for it. I hope Rivian includes it all at no extra cost. I put a dryer plug (NEMA 14-50) in my garage, but hardly ever used it since I had free charging at work.

GMK83

First Name
Guerin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S (preorder)
so there are pictures of the charge port on the passenger side and pictures of it on the driver side. Which side will it be on in the production vehicles?

Sponsored

jimcgov3

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Jacksonville, Florida // Satellite Beach, FL
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model S 75, Rivian R1T Owner
Clubs

All of the show vehicles were early “concepts” and had them on the passenger side. Once they built the two trucks for LWU, they moved the charge port to the driver’s side and that’s where it’s been ever since.

GMK83

First Name
Guerin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S (preorder)
All of the show vehicles were early “concepts” and had them on the passenger side. Once they built the two trucks for LWU, they moved the charge port to the driver’s side and that’s where it’s been ever since.
Thanks! Haven’t been following as closely after having placed my preorder knowing it’s a long ways out yet.