Sponsored

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
I’m also curious how everyone can tell wheel size by pictures. Preorder 20” AT here
So far, each size has a unique design.
Sponsored

sevengroove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition
The more I see the 21” wheels, the more I know I need to go to either 20” or 22”.
Hah same - although I think the 21's would look a lot better without those aero inserts. It's just a very flat look with them installed (which is intended for aerodynamics, I suppose) and hides the bright yellow brake calipers too.

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
Hah same - although I think the 21's would look a lot better without those aero inserts. It's just a very flat look with them installed (which is intended for aerodynamics, I suppose) and hides the bright yellow brake calipers too.
Perhaps not too different that the standard wheels on the Model 3. Plastic covers improve efficiency and range (about 3-5%), but there are some nice looking wheels under them.
Some owners keep them off for normal use and refit them for long trips.
It will be interesting to see what impact the inserts have on the Rivians range.

hed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3P, Raptor, Rivian Reservation 13##
I am not crazy about the shiny front black bumper in this photo, it looks like shiny piano black. If people think piano black interior trim showed every scratch and smudge, imagine if it's put on a front bumper. Hopefully it does not make it in the final release or I am wrong on what I am seeing.

Last edited:

Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Are you aware of any pictures without the inserts? I'd like to see them.

sevengroove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

Hmm, wonder why the bar in front is not lighting up.
Maybe there is an option to light up front bar, Charge port, or both.
I hope we have the ability to determine which indicator we want to display the state of charge. While sitting in a restaurant or shopping, it may be desirable to have the front and back bars visible to show SOC. That said, if my phone tells me the SOC, I might prefer to run silent on the exterior.

The light inside the plug housing might be OK inside my dark garage, but I certainly don't need the front and back SOC indicators lighting it up, especially if Rivvy (short for ORivia) is texting me as to how her charging is going. That might only be a small waste of energy, but why burn it if you don't need to, and all lights have a finite lifetime. No need to use them in an empty garage or call unneeded attention to your vehicle in a public garage/setting. I saw too many nice cars targeted in last year's unrest, apparently just for being a nice car.

Sponsored

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

yep you guys are right...
0727A1FF-66BE-4281-84AD-BDD3D4215B9E.png
Gearhead500, Thanks for loading in the pics! I love that Rivian gave us such great options, especially the free upgrade for the Launch Edition (I went for the 20' ATs). I'm wondering if the inserts are solely available on the 21s or also others. I know the improvement in the aerodynamics is little, but every little bit helps.

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

Is this thread about the green charge port light or rims? Asking for a friend... :cool:
jimcgov3, Thanks to your "friend" for pointing out the detour from SOC indicators to rims. I'm guilty of hijacking threads from time to time and even helped parts of this one move towards home charging options, as well. While it's never intentional, sometimes I get distrac...."SQUIRREL!!!"??

sevengroove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition

Laurent

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S
Laurent, How do like your Clipper Creek charger? Is it designed for your Tesla, or do you need an adapter? Also, where did you find it, and is it a plug-in or hardwired model?
We've had our ClipperCreek LCS-25 20A charger for nearly 10 years and it's been very reliable. We used it to charge a Nissan Leaf, a Rav4 EV, and a Pacifica Hybrid. ClipperCreek has been around since the early Tesla days and sells both plug-in and hardwired chargers depending on your needs. For a Rivian, you would need to get something like the 40A HCS-50 model.
As for my Tesla, I never had to buy a charger for it. I've been using the mobile connector that it came with, plugged into a 14-50 outlet. It's been trouble-free for the last 8 years. My understanding is that the Rivian will also come with a level 2 charger that you can plug into a 14-50 outlet.

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T
My understanding is that the Rivian will also come with a level 2 charger that you can plug into a 14-50 outlet.
I’d be interested to understand where this information came from? Rivian statement? CS? Forum speculation?
Thanks!
Sponsored