R1T Bricked After 2022.47.0 OTA

Max Power

First Name
Wyatt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T - Replaces F-150 Raptor and Tesla Model 3
I'll provide updates as it goes, but truck is currently dead in my driveway awaiting a mobile technician visit after kicking off the mobile update last night.

Approx 5:30pm with about 75% charge I parked in my driveway and kicked off the update.
Notes:
I did not plug into charger (and the orientation I have parked my charger cord cannot reach).
I have a string of Christmas lights plugged into the 120v plus in the bed and the timer probably had 15 minutes left on it. I forgot to shut this off when I kicked off the update, but when I realized it, I didn't think it should matter (I don't know if it mattered or not).

About 10pm I went to check on it, look for snow mode, test the new app features (seat heaters, send to nav, etc...).

The truck was dark, doors closed, handles folded in. Nothing would work to unlock, or wake it. Stays dark no matter what I do.

I called Tech Support and they had me move my keys to other side of house, turn BT off on my phone and way 40 minutes for sleep cycle. They Called me back 40min later and we tried to wake it a bunch of different ways. Nothing worked, stays dark and locked.

I was contacted this morning again by Rivian looking to find a mobile tech who can come by. As of 10am, still waiting to get an appointment time. Guys on the phone think it might need to be towed to South SF SC.

I suspect 12v system is dead for some reason. Could be due to the Christmas lights. If I can get away from my desk, I might see if I can test them with my multimeter. I'm not sure if the jump leads will work for that but they should in theory.

The silver lining might be that my niggling issues with front camera and steering wheel might get address a month early (appointment for those made 2 weeks ago is currently Jan 20).

I'll let you know what happens.
Sponsored

p3ck

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Merry Christmas? Sorry, couldn't resist!

And Thank you for the important PSA - I currently have xmas lights on in the bed of my truck and will be sure to turn them off if I do an upgrade..

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I have a string of Christmas lights plugged into the 120v plus in the bed and the timer probably had 15 minutes left on it. I forgot to shut this off when I kicked off the update, but when I realized it, I didn't think it should matter (I don't know if it mattered or not).
I'm about 90% sure that the 120V inverter has it's own dedicated power supply lines off the HV battery. I've left my 120V inverter on with a fridge running on past updates and it just results in it being off when the update completes.

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
Maybe a blessing in disguise? If the update somehow killed the 12V batts, they were probably on the way out anyway and better it happened with the truck safely in your driveway vs. out on the road somewhere.

OP
OP

Max Power

First Name
Wyatt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I'm about 90% sure that the 120V inverter has it's own dedicated power supply lines off the HV battery. I've left my 120V inverter on with a fridge running on past updates and it just results in it being off when the update completes.
Yeah, that's how I figured it would go and so didn't jump to try and yank the plug out. It's not intuitive to think that outlet would be tied to the 12v.

Maybe a blessing in disguise? If the update somehow killed the 12V batts, they were probably on the way out anyway and better it happened with the truck safely in your driveway vs. out on the road somewhere.

I'm not yet stressed about it. I'm happy its in my driveway and I'm also lucky that I don't NEED to drive it for awhile. If they get it going and also replace the front camera (grille) which somehow let water leak into it, I'll be pretty pleased.

I did want to let other people know this happened. If I were to do this again I might have had it plugged into charger and removed anything that could potentially disrupt. Might also leave a door or window open (weather permitting) so I could get at the reset buttons. Of course we'll see what the actual diagnosis is.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Max Power

First Name
Wyatt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Update:

Rivian wants to deep dive on the truck in the SC so are going to tow it in without even sending a tech. They think a "bad module" could be involved. I think I'd seen that come up with other service issues elsewhere on this forum or the FB groups. I guess we'll see.

I'm in the SF Bay, so there are a lot of Rivians here and maybe they just don't have a mobile tech available... Dunno.

The neighborhood will be watching it get towed away... Doh! I'll probably hear about it from a few friends and neighbors. šŸ˜œ

cohall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
You are not alone. This is from the local Rivian Facebook group this morning.
Extremely disappointed to wake up this AM to a completely dead truck. Ran the OTA update last night and the truck woke up after about 45 mins despite it saying it would take 90 so thought that was a little odd. Then I plugged it in and set to charge to 100% as I planned on going skiing this AM. But in the AM the truck is totally dead and has to be towed to service center.

These OTA updated are a disaster. Iā€™ve read so many horror stories about them and now Iā€™m living it. My first update about a month ago also had troubles.

Iā€™m really bummed right now.
I just received notification itā€™s time to do the update for my truck, but am considering waiting given it might have caused at least 2 bricks. I really need my truck working over the next week.

PowerBugs

First Name
Dru
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota
I thought about doing the OTA today while reading the Snow Mode update yesterday at work.
When I check the SOC this morning I was surprised it has only 36% from 43% yesterday and it was only parked at the driveway.
Thanks for the PSA, I will be holding off the update until I hear some good news.
Hope they get yours up and running pretty soon.

srazz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y and R1T
I'm all in on OTA updates. Been doing it for a few years with Tesla and when its available I update.

The technology thats in these vehicles is no different than other high tech hardware. Things like this are bound to happen unfortunately.

Having said that... I kicked off my update about 60m ago.

flightlevel

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
rivian
Have you tried a couple hard resets (left steering wheel + hazard)? I had something similar on an update and a couple of these fixed it.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Max Power

First Name
Wyatt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Have you tried a couple hard resets (left steering wheel + hazard)? I had something similar on an update and a couple of these fixed it.
Truck is completely dead. You can't do a hard reset if you can't open the door... :no:

SoCalTravels

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Hyundai Nexo, Lexus RX450h
Truck is completely dead. You can't do a hard reset if you can't open the door... :no:
this brings up another questionā€¦ on most vehicles when the battery dies you can pop off the handle or a plastic piece near the handle and insert the key hidden in the fob.

I was under the impression Rivianā€™s doors were mechanical and not electronic. Does Rivian not have a spot to open the door from the outside when the battery dies? I know rivian doesnā€™t have a key inside the fob, which would lead me to believe they donā€™t have an option for thisā€¦ just seems like an oversight.

mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Model Y
The HV battery pack keeps both low voltage 12v batteries charged.

The R1ā€™s have a unique 12v dual battery design that splits the power down each side of the vehicle to run the accessories like the PW, PL, AC, headlights, etc.

I wouldnā€™t be surprised if Rivian re-engineers this design in the next 1-2 years. Itā€™s a PITA for Rivian service technicians to troubleshoot and repair.

You can see the two 12v batteries near the top center of the photo.
Rivian R1T R1S R1T Bricked After 2022.47.0 OTA 63367584-E12D-4BB0-88DB-5CE155AB1C7D

Last edited:

JoulesVerne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T LE, 2022 Ioniq 5 SEL
It's the curse of the .0 release.
Sponsored