Wyatt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX, R1T
Occupation
Project Manager
Well, to catch you up this happened last week:

https://www.rivianforums.com/forum/...00ft-elevation-change.6294/page-2#post-168187

Basically, from what I'm told a coolant line bursted/broke, which caused battery overheating and the truck inability to cool its motors/batteries whatever. Not sure if it is a weak point or defect (which is my main concern if a weak point). This caused the truck to basically brick itself and become unmovable for about 2-3 hours.

Just got a call back from Rivian Service. They have been pretty good at communicating during the ordeal in general, but have been pretty vague about all that has been repaired and what checks or reporting I'll be able to see to make sure everything is back to 100%. Obviously, when a conventional truck overheats it can cause lasting damage to other components/systems that don't necessarily show up right away.

All in all, I've been pretty happy with customer service, short of provding an R1T as a loaner but I'm getting by. New company so I've been trying to be as patient as possible.

Also, sounds like the tow company winched at a bad point and may have tweaked the suspension a little so the service center is trying to get the alignment correct. If all goes well, I should have my R1T back tomorrow, ready for another towing adventure this weekend with my ski Boat. We shall see how it goes!

~5000ln boat/Trailer
~4600' Elevation change
~80 miles
4% Grade for about 17 miles (and it wil be 90-95deg +) at the beginning of the trip which has me a little gunshy now :)

I may need to make a video blog on this trip, just in case it gets interesting again. I'll be traveling with a couple other trucks that can tow the boat if I get in a pinch again. Fingers crossed we are past this. If need be, I can leave a broken R1T on the side of the road for someone who wants it :)

Rivian R1T R1S R1T breakdown while towing - repair follow-up cause: coolant line bursted/broke, causing battery overheat 1656444830564
Rivian R1T R1S R1T breakdown while towing - repair follow-up cause: coolant line bursted/broke, causing battery overheat 1656444795506
Sponsored

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
I would guess a defective hose/fitting/crimp/whatever vs. a weak point in the design. From what we've seen in the Monroe tear down video's the R1T is built like a brick $hithouse!

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model-Y, VW GTI, Holden Commodore (Chevy SS)
Occupation
Engineer, Business Owner, Sales Guy
Yikes, I guess drive it and hope the battery pack holds up. You're covered with the warranty but I'm like you - I would prefer to replace parts that have been pushed beyond their limits even if they appear to function well after the fact.

Reactions: Max
OP
OP
HA-Opec

HA-Opec

First Name
Wyatt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX, R1T
Occupation
Project Manager
Well, me and my R1T went through a rough patch, but I'm optimistic about where our relationship is going now :).
Can't say enough about the support service staff out of W Sacramento,
Rivian R1T R1S R1T breakdown while towing - repair follow-up cause: coolant line bursted/broke, causing battery overheat 20220629_123423
Rivian R1T R1S R1T breakdown while towing - repair follow-up cause: coolant line bursted/broke, causing battery overheat 20220629_123325
Rivian R1T R1S R1T breakdown while towing - repair follow-up cause: coolant line bursted/broke, causing battery overheat 20220629_123318
they went out of there way to drive up my Rivian today 75 miles to Chico (couldn't get a tow till tomorrow). Now we can head to the Lake :)
I took a couple shots of two Rivians in my driveway!

moosehead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜22 Ioniq 5, ā€˜78 Jeep Wagoneer
Good onya @HA-Opec, not a fun way to end a tow outing which usually has enough other reasons to be stressed other than new rig malfunction.

Hope she goes well next run. I'd offer to do it with you in a sweep vehicle if nearby.

How are water levels at Almanor?

Cheers.

Sponsored

OP
OP
HA-Opec

HA-Opec

First Name
Wyatt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX, R1T
Occupation
Project Manager
Low for this time of year but not the worst I've seen. If you'r local and want to check it out just let me know! I ordered Aug 21, and got lucky on my configuration schedule for Oct to Feb

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Quad Motor R1T (Selling the Xterra)
Clubs

Credit to you as well, even in your posts you seemed pretty "go with the flow". I'm sure they appreciated that as much as you did them repairing your T.

To adventures over repairs! šŸ» ;)

moosehead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜22 Ioniq 5, ā€˜78 Jeep Wagoneer
IIRC there have been a few instances of these coolant leaks, though not quite sure what were battery vs other?

Either way, seems to suggest these systems were either not torqued correctly at assembly and/or were not sufficiently tested under heat loads and therefore undertorqued or under equipment specā€™d?

CUBldr97

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
TESLA MS85 RIVIAN reservation holder
IIRC there have been a few instances of these coolant leaks, though not quite sure what were battery vs other?

Either way, seems to suggest these systems were either not torqued correctly at assembly and/or were not sufficiently tested under heat loads and therefore undertorqued or under equipment specā€™d?
like your profile picture GO AVS.. I was a ticket holder for 1996 season and Stanley Cup

OP
OP
HA-Opec

HA-Opec

First Name
Wyatt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX, R1T
Occupation
Project Manager
Clarification

Yes, I should have clarified. My service provider cleared this up with me, stating that some type of "clip" was not correctly fastened for a coolant line which eventually popped off causing immediate loss of coolant. All hoses were inspected and or replaced and properly fastened.
I've been unable to find a Monroe video that shows the coolant system, but if someone has a link please link it for me :)

Sponsored

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S

Olsonsolar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt - R1T on preorder
Occupation
enjoying life
Wow I feel for you. Man you are taking all this a whole lot better than I think I could. I hope this truck becomes what you were hoping.

atebit

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Porsche Boxster
Clubs

The issue for me would be less about the breakdown (Rivian will deal with that), but what to do with the tow load? I have a 7.5K dump trailer. Thereā€™s no way youā€™re going to manhandle that out of harms way if your prime mover craps out in the middle of an intersection. At least with an ICE you might be able to maneuver a little out of the way before all of the magic smoke comes out. In an EV, itā€™s usually either in the ā€œ1ā€ or ā€œ0ā€ position.

I havenā€™t had a chance to hookup the trailer yet, but I will definitely make some empty runs before I go filling DR ROKZO up with material.

Max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Truck