LoneStar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S Launch Ed.
Occupation
engineer
Clubs

Big Bear Mtn road filmed by Skydio2 autonomous drone with amazing AI obstacle avoidance technology
Sponsored

Last edited:

Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model 3, SC Bronson
Occupation
Product Development
Great stuff! Looks like youā€™re in the Holcomb valley! Love the loop from north shore of the lake to the dump. Also, did I see you in the village at lake arrowhead this weekend? There were 2 there, both LG, but one had a tent

OP
OP
LoneStar

LoneStar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S Launch Ed.
Occupation
engineer
Clubs

I stayed in Big Bear during the weekend, didn't go to Arrowhead. I saw another LG R1T myself (without a tent) so there are a growing number running around the mountain tops

Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model 3, SC Bronson
Occupation
Product Development
Hopefully Iā€™ll join those ranks sooner than later!

Lil'O Annie

First Name
Becky
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicles
R1T LE/LG/FE, 2022 Lariat Lightning
Occupation
Farming, semi-retired
Very nice! I haven't had the nerve to try out auto-tracking/obstacle-avoidance on my Mavic 3 in the forest yet. I'll have to give that a go. ;) Your Skydio2 did a great job!

Sponsored

ADVNOW

First Name
Dom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Wrangler JK, JL 4XE
Occupation
Manufacturing
Clubs

I hope they get more charges and fast chargers installed up there. they should install a RAN charging station there especially since there is so much to do up there. and miles of trails to cover.

Where did you charge at while there. the lack of chargers is the only reason I haven't taken my R1T there yet. I only saw a level 2 in running springs.

OP
OP
LoneStar

LoneStar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S Launch Ed.
Occupation
engineer
Clubs

Where did you charge at while there. the lack of chargers is the only reason I haven't taken my R1T there yet. I only saw a level 2 in running springs.
Well, within the past month or so a new pair of 50kW chargers branded "loop" (all small letters) got installed behind the Union Bank right there in town. So this is very good news in general. However I should say my first charging experience with it was Fantastic - especially since it just started charging my R1T for free! But when I returned a couple days later to top-off before heading back down the hill, the freebie function went away as did the ability to function properly whatsoever. I downloaded the "loop" app and put $20 on it using a credit card. That didn't help. I sent a message through the app and surprisingly got a reply within a couple hours. Basically said they are just now putting the two chargers online and working out the kinks.

So bottomline is good news if not the fabulous news of finding RAN stations there.. maybe someday soon.

Titanium91352

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Design Engineeer
Nice aerial shots of the vehicle. I have the same truck and live in Big Bear. I haven't decided to take it up the trails yet. Hoping to be the first to do the John Bull trail in a Rivian. I have done it with my 2012 Rubicon a few times. I make the trip up and down the hill each week to Canoga Park and it beats out my 2014 Roush Raptor hands down. My only challenge is if I do a full charge for a round trip, I lose my regen braking as I go down hill so I do a charge down the hill. I ordered my vehicle Nov 27th 2018 and it has been a frustrating wait for sure. But the vehicle shines overall but has a lot of bugs to work out. I have two other R1S on order, a FG slated for Oct-Dec and another White with OC slated for 1H2023. Living in Big Bear, they are the perfect vehicle for the family.

ADVNOW

First Name
Dom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Wrangler JK, JL 4XE
Occupation
Manufacturing
Clubs

Nice aerial shots of the vehicle. I have the same truck and live in Big Bear. I haven't decided to take it up the trails yet. Hoping to be the first to do the John Bull trail in a Rivian. I have done it with my 2012 Rubicon a few times. I make the trip up and down the hill each week to Canoga Park and it beats out my 2014 Roush Raptor hands down. My only challenge is if I do a full charge for a round trip, I lose my regen braking as I go down hill so I do a charge down the hill. I ordered my vehicle Nov 27th 2018 and it has been a frustrating wait for sure. But the vehicle shines overall but has a lot of bugs to work out. I have two other R1S on order, a FG slated for Oct-Dec and another White with OC slated for 1H2023. Living in Big Bear, they are the perfect vehicle for the family.
Wow, John bull in the R1T I hope you shoot a video that's a tough trail in a modified jeep with all the articulation need to get over all the rocks and boulders. Some points have sharp and steep turns. I love that trail in the winter with the ice and snow. it adds a whole new level of complexity.

LaunchGreen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover

Big Bear Mtn road filmed by Skydio2 autonomous drone with amazing AI obstacle avoidance technology

Iā€™m pulling a boat up there next week. How was the efficiency on the climb?

OP
OP
LoneStar

LoneStar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S Launch Ed.
Occupation
engineer
Clubs

Iā€™m pulling a boat up there next week. How was the efficiency on the climb?
I didn't bother to note the energy use per mile up the hill but it didn't do anything to shock me. It may be a closer trade-off if you keep the speed down to limit or a tad less. There are a good many passing lane sections both up and down the hill.
Sponsored