First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Skyline R32 GTR, Subaru Forester Turbo SH9
Occupation
IT Professional
Another video review in spanish about this event. he started with a rant/ disclaimer before his review ??
"This company had an event in CO last week, they didn't invite me to that event. That was a very good event because it was in the mountains off roading, things I really love doing and recording.
Now I got it here, in Detroit, in this event and they gave me 1 hour to do this.
While I drive it, I have to have 2 people in the vehicle with me, so I have a huge conflict with this.
I'll be fair with my vote since I won't take any of that into account, but I'm pissed"
He's pissed that he gets to ride and test an R1T 2 years before I will? Sense of entitlement much?
Whatever compay...
Sponsored

Speedrye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Commodore, Supra, FJ Cruiser
I wonder if the rear drivetrain of the Hummer would be less rugged than a fixed steering option in the long run, and if so, what damage would be the most likely, and which parts would need replacing.

Crab walk is cool, but WRT acceleration, this is possibly something that is set inside the ECU and limited accordingly - maybe a software tweak would allow you to 'overclock' the stock settings of the electric motors.

I've always been a fan of 4 wheel steering (I have it in my R32 Skyline) but I do wonder how robust it is when the going gets tough. Crab walk to me seems like more of a feature I'd like in peak hour traffic ;) But I can see it could also be used in the context of the off road trails (give the sidewalls some space so they dont rip etc)

I'm pretty sure I'll buy an R1T in 2024 when they're supposed to come to Oz, but I'll want to see some regional customization, not least a decent 240v inverter..
Is it really any different than the front suspension? I mean, they're pretty much the same front and rear, and I'd be quite surprised if GM didn't just use the same components where possible on each end. Steering rack, control arms, etc. I don't see reliability issues beyond what you'd normally see with an IFS off road. Then again, the Hummer wouldn't even fit on most of the trails I go on, so the point may be moot.

Trandall

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2023 Mach-E
Occupation
Construction Management
He's pissed that he gets to ride and test an R1T 2 years before I will? Sense of entitlement much?
Whatever compay...
Haha...I'll bet he's uttered the phrase "I'm kinda a big deal, people know me" before.

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
I wonder if the rear drivetrain of the Hummer would be less rugged than a fixed steering option in the long run, and if so, what damage would be the most likely, and which parts would need replacing.
Yes, it's less rugged & more complex...more moving parts to potentially break, & definitely to replace at some point.

Dohmar

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Skyline R32 GTR, Subaru Forester Turbo SH9
Occupation
IT Professional
Is it really any different than the front suspension? I mean, they're pretty much the same front and rear, and I'd be quite surprised if GM didn't just use the same components where possible on each end. Steering rack, control arms, etc. I don't see reliability issues beyond what you'd normally see with an IFS off road. Then again, the Hummer wouldn't even fit on most of the trails I go on, so the point may be moot.
I've no doubt the front and rear steering systems are equally as robust in terms of their fabrication, however as skyote points out, its just more stuff that can break...

Sponsored

Blur1t

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Launch, Subaru Cross trek
Occupation
Enrolled Agent
opnwide,

That's hilarious!

These things are already called a Hummer! Why not just label the fun button "Foreplay" or "Happy Finish" and call it good?

I can see the ad now: Johnny Goldchain spots his prey and pulls up alongside. He glances over and makes (in)appropriate eye contact. Launch event initiated. It's Go Time! He fidgets for 60 seconds while waiting impatiently for a green light as he works up to the main event. He adds a little music, maybe some mood lighting, and some cools vibrations to improve the experience. He checks out his hair in the mirror and adjusts his chains, and then he gets the GO sign and he's off to the races! Within two minutes of going into Full Launch Mode, he's done!

Fully satisfied with his performance, he pulls over for a smoke before prowling for his next conquest....

I can see and hear the ad playing in this year's Superbowl:

"The New Hummer. You Know You Want One!"
I think we found another calling for you. I just woke the wife up choking on my laughter…. ?

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

I think we found another calling for you. I just woke the wife up choking on my laughter…. ?
Blur1t,

Thanks for that, but I was simply building on the historical visual that @opnwide conjured up so well. I couldn't help but think of Tom Jones singing "It's Not Unusual". Even as a kid, he kinda creeped me out, but all this talk about gold chains and hummers brought it all back again.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
We have only 1 award for trucks. I have also been in the Sante Fe. It's an SUV with a small truck bed,
You may have meant "Santa Cruz"?

The Santa Fe is a conventional crossover/suv.

Sponsored

Kaprice

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Quest
Occupation
Marketer
Rivian could easily implement crab walk with a software update, right? I mean, if it can do a tank turn, a crab walk seems like child's play.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Rivian could easily implement crab walk with a software update, right? I mean, if it can do a tank turn, a crab walk seems like child's play.
No, they can't. The Hummer EV has rear-wheel steering, which the R1T does not.

Rivian can independently control each wheel (thanks to quad motors) but that is how they get Tank Turn. Different from Crab Walk.

intimidator

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F150, BMW 3GT
Occupation
Business owner
Much faster than an R1T? This seems surprising, since both have been reported at 0-60 in 3 seconds. Perhaps the R1T wasn’t in sport mode when they were doing the testing? Seems like an odd miss.
I recently got a test ride in the Ford Lightning. I have no idea what the actual 0-60 time was, but the acceleration all the way to 80 mph slammed me back in the seat. So it is kinda of dumb to care if you truck goes 0-60 in 3 seconds or 0-60 in 3.5 seconds. Anything sub 5 seconds is blazing fast.

Joel

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo
No, they can't. The Hummer EV has rear-wheel steering, which the R1T does not.

Rivian can independently control each wheel (thanks to quad motors) but that is how they get Tank Turn. Different from Crab Walk.
As cool as crab walk is I don’t want the repair bill when it breaks.