First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion Hybrid, Rivian R1T
Occupation
Retired USN
The hybrid Maverick is just fine for a fuel efficient urban grocery hauler. Without AWD its next to useless for the variety of uses the R1T or Hummer will be able to do. And as you pointed out, it will suffer from the notorious Ford production quality issues. In my mind the Maverick isn't even a worthy candidate for a vote other than it's cheap. GM did a nice job with the Hummer - at a steep price. Factoring in the most bang for the buck, I give the edge to the R1T. If Ford would have put the earlier investments into an electric Ranger at its launch, I suspect they would have had the winner. But they didn't.
Sponsored

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
I didn't get the same sensation of instant, overwhelming massive solid rocket booster thrust in the R1T as I did in the Hummer. That's a strictly seat of the pants observation, not measured in any way.
I wonder if this is because of the different suspensions. I don't know much about the Hummer's setup, but from all the "launch" videos I've seen of the R1T, it looks like the suspension doesn't allow it to rock back the way a lot of trucks would when hitting the gas to the floor. But that lean adds to the effect of being thrown backward.

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

I wonder if this is because of the different suspensions. I don't know much about the Hummer's setup, but from all the "launch" videos I've seen of the R1T, it looks like the suspension doesn't allow it to rock back the way a lot of trucks would when hitting the gas to the floor. But that lean adds to the effect of being thrown backward.
I thought this same thing. In terms of "seat of the pants feel" I think the Rivian is a bit if a victim of its own masterful suspension when it comes to acceleration because in sport mode there seems to be almost no shift in weight. Meanwhile the Hummer in WTF looked like it was doing a Carolina Squat in the videos I watched, which probably makes it FEEL faster in the same way that Star Wars ride at Disney seems like you're going light speed by tilting you nose up.

To be perfect frank, based on everything I've seen from the Hummer and all of it's [wanking motion .gif] features, if it wins the NACTOY award over the Rivian the only thing that will reinforce for me is how pointless that award is for my buying decisions.

Speedrye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Commodore, Supra, FJ Cruiser
I'm really curious how the Rivian achieves its 0-60 time. If it's like the Hummer or S Plaid needing a bunch of time to prep the batteries for that time, I'll be very disappointed. Unlike most, my daily driver runs several 0-60 runs daily, and I enjoy that immensely, hence a large part of my attraction to Rivian.

As far as the different acceleration feel of the Hummer and Rivian, I'm not too concerned. Take a turbo 4-cylinder car compared to a large naturally aspirated V8 car, and they might have similar 0-60 times, but the feel will be radically different. Alternately, Rivian might have more speed in there, but chose to engineer some torque management in to prolong drivetrain reliability. Lots of variables.

For those that have actually driven the R1T, how fast are your cars? Do you have a good comparison to a quick car, or would anything have felt fast compared to what you're used to? My daily driver runs in the low 4-second range to 60, but getting in the boss's 911 Turbo feels notably faster. If you get in my car from something that takes 6-seconds to get to 60, it'll feel really fast. My point is this- during these test drives, was the Rivian performing at its max potential, or would it have felt fast regardless of whether it was ripping of 3.0 second 0-60s or 4.0 second 0-60s? Would you have known the difference?

To the OP- any insight on the Blackwing's chances of winning in the car category? That's the only other vehicle I'm cross-shopping the R1S with (yeah, I know, apples and oranges is a serious understatement here).

OP
OP

Rich Truett

First Name
Rich Truett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1979 Triumph TR8; 1981 Triumph TR8; 2005 Saab 9-2
Occupation
Reporter
So the jurors seem to be happy to ignore that the R1T gets 70 MPGe then? That's significantly better than even the Maverick hybrid. Getting people out of gas hogging trucks is a big deal. The TRX only gets 12 MPG and requires premium gasoline.
No. Not at all. I can tell you the jurors are very professional, extremely knowledgeable, fair, open-minded and take all aspects of each vehicle into consideration.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Rich Truett

First Name
Rich Truett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Reporter
BTW, how was the nvh of the Hummer vs the R1T? The previous videos of the preproduction Hummer made it seem like it was a bit loud when going highway speeds when compared to Rivian. Is this the same thing you noticed, or did the production version of the Hummer fixed that?
Glad you asked. The Hummer's aggressive off-road tires make a droning sound on the pavement that is truly annoying. Otherwise, it's like other electric vehicles.

OP
OP

Rich Truett

First Name
Rich Truett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Reporter
So some jurors will judge it as a commuter vehicle and disregard its advantages and capabilities in one niche area (offroading, adventures, snow/terrain, etc.) while knocking it for not excelling in another niche area (towing/hauling)?

That's unfortunate. Are there not constraints or guidelines for what constitutes the "best" truck? Like is the goal to pick the most innovative truck, the best work truck, the best commuter truck, the best off-road truck, the truck that best achieves its goals, etc?
I think most jurors don't really give much consideration what the end user does with it. We are mostly focused on performance, equipment, quality, value, efficiency, refinement, features, etc. I mean, look at it this way: We all know people who drop 6 figures on a Range Rover or a Bentley Bentayga are never going to take those vehicles off the road. Does that color our thinking? Not much. If it does, than only in a positive way. It's nice to know a vehicle has more capability and versatility than you'll likely ever need.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Glad you asked. The Hummer's aggressive off-road tires make a droning sound on the pavement that is truly annoying. Otherwise, it's like other electric vehicles.
That's not their amplified electric motor noise GM pipes into the cabin?

TessP100D

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla 2017 P100D MS
Could just be how hard it hits. I would be surprised if they were actually timing the acceleration so it was just a seat of the pants feeling. I also seem to recall seeing somewhere that GM was being conservative when they said 0-60 was 3 seconds...

They also probably had the 20's on the truck which is not the fastest configuration.
But the 20’’ is the best configuration, as it’s still a truck… right?

Sponsored

kizamybute'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
This one, that one and the other one.
Clubs

I LOVE the look of the Hummer. It would be my first choice if not for the price and size of it. That thing is a beast in size and primarily, width. Trying to park will be more of an issue.

I love the look of the Raptor or the TRX. Just mean looking trucks. If Ford had done the Lighting with more Raptor styling and off-road capability, it likely would have gotten my money.

The Rivian, clearly followed Tesla's approach. Designed a "nice" looking truck, but quite subdued compared to sportier style offerings. On capabilities and features alone, the Rivian wins hands down. Never been in love with the look of a Tesla, but its features and capabilities outweigh that and has kept me in one for 9 years running. The Rivian very much fits into the same category, just for Trucks instead. The Nikola rendering was awesome. Was rooting for that one.

So best I can tell, of the EV's due in the next year, Rivian will be at the top of my list, if they can deliver.

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
I can almost guarantee the Hummer doesn't accelerate faster than the R1T, but I have no doubt that it might feel like it does, and that might be very intentional.

If I routinely unbuttoned my shirt and wore gold chains, I'd pick the Hummer hands down.
I literally laughed out loud, thank you! Funny in that we also recorded some thoughts with a very special guest earlier this week, & the Hummer came up.

But it seems too big to take on a lot of trails…it’s size is an issue…it isn’t going down Black Bear pass anytime soon unless it’s rolling down the hill.
It is definitely too big and too heavy for A LOT of off road situations. It might be too wide for Black Bear, but the 4 wheel steering would be sweet for the switchbacks (if it could get to them). R1S is going to eat Black Bear's lunch like Goldilocks.

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

If I routinely unbuttoned my shirt and wore gold chains, I'd pick the Hummer hands down.
opnwide,

That's hilarious!

These things are already called a Hummer! Why not just label the fun button "Foreplay" or "Happy Finish" and call it good?

I can see the ad now: Johnny Goldchain spots his prey and pulls up alongside. He glances over and makes (in)appropriate eye contact. Launch event initiated. It's Go Time! He fidgets for 60 seconds while waiting impatiently for a green light as he works up to the main event. He adds a little music, maybe some mood lighting, and some cools vibrations to improve the experience. He checks out his hair in the mirror and adjusts his chains, and then he gets the GO sign and he's off to the races! Within two minutes of going into Full Launch Mode, he's done!

Fully satisfied with his performance, he pulls over for a smoke before prowling for his next conquest....

I can see and hear the ad playing in this year's Superbowl:

"The New Hummer. You Know You Want One!"

Babbuino

First Name
Manuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3
Occupation
DESIGN engineer
Another video review in spanish about this event. he started with a rant/ disclaimer before his review ??
"This company had an event in CO last week, they didn't invite me to that event. That was a very good event because it was in the mountains off roading, things I really love doing and recording.
Now I got it here, in Detroit, in this event and they gave me 1 hour to do this.
While I drive it, I have to have 2 people in the vehicle with me, so I have a huge conflict with this.
I'll be fair with my vote since I won't take any of that into account, but I'm pissed"

Dohmar

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Skyline R32 GTR, Subaru Forester Turbo SH9
Occupation
IT Professional
I wonder if the rear drivetrain of the Hummer would be less rugged than a fixed steering option in the long run, and if so, what damage would be the most likely, and which parts would need replacing.

Crab walk is cool, but WRT acceleration, this is possibly something that is set inside the ECU and limited accordingly - maybe a software tweak would allow you to 'overclock' the stock settings of the electric motors.

I've always been a fan of 4 wheel steering (I have it in my R32 Skyline) but I do wonder how robust it is when the going gets tough. Crab walk to me seems like more of a feature I'd like in peak hour traffic ;) But I can see it could also be used in the context of the off road trails (give the sidewalls some space so they dont rip etc)

I'm pretty sure I'll buy an R1T in 2024 when they're supposed to come to Oz, but I'll want to see some regional customization, not least a decent 240v inverter..
Sponsored