Sponsored

koersontap

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None!
Occupation
Engineer
I think GM was smart with the wtf mode. Having music playing, vehicle lowering, and steering wheel vibrating gets you more excited with what's about to happen.
I'm sure this feels way more over the top than just pressing the accelerator like on the R1T.
Even Tesla with the cheetah stance made you feel much faster than without it, even though in reality the difference wasn't that much
I actually feel the opposite. Primarily because the performance is so dramatic between WTF mode and regular drive mode. Like, how many times are you going to stop at a light, enter WTF mode while you're waiting, while the minute long sequence completes? Sure, it's a really neat party trick, and will be fun to experience. But I see it as a thing that's rarely used outside of a few "dude, hold my beer" moments.

In the meanwhile, for all the time you're *not* using it, you've got significantly less performance than you would otherwise. While with the Rivian, you don't have to worry about that. You just stomp and go. Weeee's for days.
Sponsored

ruawahoo2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Palisade and CX-5
So the jurors seem to be happy to ignore that the R1T gets 70 MPGe then? That's significantly better than even the Maverick hybrid. Getting people out of gas hogging trucks is a big deal. The TRX only gets 12 MPG and requires premium gasoline.
This is my frustration: If you want to do anything remotely fun in the new Ford Maverick, you can’t do it in the base hybrid trim. I think it’s disingenuous for people to trumpet that particular feature as the vehicle’s defining feature when it really doesn’t carry through to other trims, such towing or four-wheel drive. By comparison, one could say that about the Ford F-150 hybrid because that engine choice accommodated almost all of the other vehicle options and was available for almost all trims (maybe all of them?).

Don’t get me wrong, I think the Maverick is a great vehicle. But I also feel that it is a little bit Jekyll and Hyde in that the Maverick has one body, but the characteristics of the two sides are vastly different and mutually exclusive.

Okay, my rant is over. Now more Rivian videos! Pics aren’t cutting it for me anymore. My addiction is deepening…

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
I think GM was smart with the wtf mode. Having music playing, vehicle lowering, and steering wheel vibrating gets you more excited with what's about to happen.
I'm sure this feels way more over the top than just pressing the accelerator like on the R1T.
Even Tesla with the cheetah stance made you feel much faster than without it, even though in reality the difference wasn't that much
Watching videos on WTF and the "launch" videos with Rivian, I wonder if Rivian expects people to do the prime things by pressing the break and accelerator at the same time. WTF just prompts you for that.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
This is my frustration: If you want to do anything remotely fun in the new Ford Maverick, you can’t do it in the base hybrid trim. I think it’s disingenuous for people to trumpet that particular feature as the vehicle’s defining feature when it really doesn’t carry through to other trims, such towing or four-wheel drive. By comparison, one could say that about the Ford F-150 hybrid because that engine choice accommodated almost all of the other vehicle options and was available for almost all trims (maybe all of them?).

Don’t get me wrong, I think the Maverick is a great vehicle. But I also feel that it is a little bit Jekyll and Hyde in that the Maverick has one body, but the characteristics of the two sides are vastly different and mutually exclusive.

Okay, my rant is over. Now more Rivian videos! Pics aren’t cutting it for me anymore. My addiction is deepening…
mine is that the maverick doesn't have a AWD/4WD version with the hybrid (and that they don't have an all electric version).

3l3c7r1c

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Hyundai Palisade Limited, 2012 Honda CR-V
Ah. Thanks. The Hummer (and every full sized truck) has the same issue predominately, right?
To me, Hummer looks more off-road enthusiast focused. They have underbody camera, crabwalk, better approach & departure angle, removable top. Rivian's marketing of "Adventure" might be actually quite new. The way I see it - you use it for utility, commute, hauling family members, and have some fun on camping and drive to difficult to reach hiking trails.

Sponsored

Sdvictor

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I'd give a slight edge to the Hummer in terms of screen content. What they've done with graphics is really cool.
After testing both you realize we are at the start of a new era and big changes are coming.
Rivian is using QNX (like the old uconnect systems) with an Unreal engine based UX/UI while GM is using Android Automotive w/ an Unreal engine based UX/UI. I'm assuming that GM might have spent more time working on dialing in the interface in this case.

Babbuino

First Name
Manuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3
Occupation
DESIGN engineer
Rivian sent two trucks, one green test mule, and one blue early production vehicle, to the hotel in Ann Arbor where the testing for NACTOY is happening this week.

Generally, these are the impressions:
(1) The jurors are very surprised at the quality of the materials and the manufacturing.
(2) The really smart storage features also drew a lot of praise.
(3) Lots of positive comments and compliments on how the R1T drives, handles, accelerates and brakes.
(4) Some didn't really understand its mission and think it doesn't make a lot of sense because it will be used like a regular ICE truck and guzzle electricity hauling and towing, etc.
(5) The styling is a hit; everyone loved it.

In any other year, I'd say the R1T would have truck of the year in the bag. It's that good. And if you have one on order, you'll forget how late it is once you get it.

But this is not an ordinary year.

The GMC Hummer EV is also in the running, and that thing is freakin' amazeballs. It's big. It's heavy. But it feels light and agile. There is no doubt that it is much faster than the R1T. Press the Hummer's accelerator pedal into the carpet and you feel like you are being blasted into space.

The crab walk feature is waaaaay cool.
And if that weren't enough, the new Ford Maverick compact pickup is also going to get some votes.

Here's an entry level truck that is mega-affordable, really nicely equipped, and that does all the things you expect of a Ford truck. The hybrid version gets 42 mpg!

I was prepared to competely dismiss it. After all, the engine is mounted sideways! And yet the Maverick was the biggest surprise of the day.

Choosing how to spend my votes for Truck of The Year will be the hardest thing I have ever done since joining the NACTOY jury 8 years ago. All three are worthy.

riv.jpg
BTW, how was the nvh of the Hummer vs the R1T? The previous videos of the preproduction Hummer made it seem like it was a bit loud when going highway speeds when compared to Rivian. Is this the same thing you noticed, or did the production version of the Hummer fixed that?

Sponsored

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

To me, Hummer looks more off-road enthusiast focused. They have underbody camera, crabwalk, better approach & departure angle, removable top. Rivian's marketing of "Adventure" might be actually quite new. The way I see it - you use it for utility, commute, hauling family members, and have some fun on camping and drive to difficult to reach hiking trails.
Exactly. I will use my R1T for my commute because I can charge it with electricity produced by my solar system. All the while I can use it for projects when I want to haul something in the back or adventure when I want to head to a remote TH or up the mountain on a powder day. No other vehicle on the market offers that today without using petroleum.

But haters will be haters.... my guess is the Maverick wins just because of cost and what you get but I would vote for the Rivian all day.

MurryR1T

First Name
Marvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T delivered 3-24-22
Thank You Thank You Thank You for giving us an honest opinion without fluff. I am ready for this vehicle even if it’s going to be a lot longer than I thought. Not sure where your votes will go but I am totally interested in hearing your thoughts after the results are published.

As far as the acceleration goes, I’m not sure I know many (if any) that will regularly trying to go 0-60 off the line. The thing that matters is, it’s fast if I need it.

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
But it seems too big to take on a lot of trails…it’s size is an issue…it isn’t going down Black Bear pass anytime soon unless it’s rolling down the hill.

BigE

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Honda S2000
I didn't get the same sensation of instant, overwhelming massive solid rocket booster thrust in the R1T as I did in the Hummer. That's a strictly seat of the pants observation, not measured in any way.
Also, the Hummer has a special prep mode (WTF) to access that level of kWh/thrust. Normal driving and hit the pedal as in the Rivian, the Hummer is much slower as the WFT is 3.5 sec 0-60 at best.

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
Driving impression is going to sway the journalists instead of actual times. I get the impression that they were not doing standing start 0-60s, but just relaying the fell when stomping on it while in motion.
A more aggressively mapped accelerator pedal and/or motor response can feel faster. That also comes with the likely sacrifice of a smooth overall driving experience. The Rivian likely can be set to respond a bit more like the Hummer, but likely was in the default mode that would be a bit softer/smoother.
Sponsored