Sponsored

Gator42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Defender
The R1T is built for off-road adventures. Some jurors were thinking it'll never be used that way by some buyers. It'll just be a commuter vehicle. That's probably true.
Couldn’t the same be said for the new Hummer? The old H2 was a vehicle for female models to drive around South Beach- H2 ads even promoted that idea…
Sponsored

OP
OP

Rich Truett

First Name
Rich Truett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1979 Triumph TR8; 1981 Triumph TR8; 2005 Saab 9-2
Occupation
Reporter
It's not surprising the Hummer delivers high levels of performance. I'd expect nothing less at that price point. What makes the R1T so remarkable is what it delivers at a $40,000 lower starting price.
Yeah...the Edition 1 version of the Hummer that will be available for a year before the other models checks in at $112k. I think the R1T we tested was $73,00 and change.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Yeah...the Edition 1 version of the Hummer that will be available for a year before the other models checks in at $112k. I think the R1T we tested was $73,00 and change.
That's a tough choice. They're kind of in three different categories. It's sort of like comparing the Defender against the Mach e. Both are "SUVs" and both service totally different purposes have different sides. It's a bit of a bummer that the Maverick and Santa Cruz have to be compared against an F150 or R1T and that the R1T compares against the Hummer at half the cost. Tough choice.

The Hummer speed vs R1T speed is a bit baffling when both are rated at 0-60 in 3 seconds.

Three very neat trucks.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

The R1T is built for off-road adventures. Some jurors were thinking it'll never be used that way by some buyers. It'll just be a commuter vehicle. That's probably true.
So the jurors seem to be happy to ignore that the R1T gets 70 MPGe then? That's significantly better than even the Maverick hybrid. Getting people out of gas hogging trucks is a big deal. The TRX only gets 12 MPG and requires premium gasoline.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Rich Truett

First Name
Rich Truett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Reporter
That's a tough choice. They're kind of in three different categories. It's sort of like comparing the Defender against the Mach e. Both are "SUVs" and both service totally different purposes have different sides. It's a bit of a bummer that the Maverick and Santa Cruz have to be compared against an F150 or R1T and that the R1T compares against the Hummer at half the cost. Tough choice.

The Hummer speed vs R1T speed is a bit baffling when both are rated at 0-60 in 3 seconds.

Three very neat trucks.
We have only 1 award for trucks. I have also been in the Sante Fe. It's an SUV with a small truck bed, not really a contender in my mind. I could sleep well voting for any of the three. Rivian: What an accomplishment to build such a high quality, feature-laden vehicle, so much creativity and fresh thinking and a damn good drive. Hummer: It's in your face, no-excuses monster truck that is at least friendlier on the environment than previous Hummers. Anyone can drive it, despite it massive weight and girth. Maverick: When the average price of a new vehicle is now $45,000, here's one that starts at less than 1/2 of that, will work for you, has plenty of room for you and your gear and, if you spend around $25k for the hybrid version, will give you 42 mpg on the highway. It's also really quick w/ no torque steer.
I usually award all my points to just one vehicle. I don't know how I will spend them this year.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Much faster than an R1T? This seems surprising, since both have been reported at 0-60 in 3 seconds. Perhaps the R1T wasn’t in sport mode when they were doing the testing? Seems like an odd miss.
I haven't driven the Hummer, but I do have a Bolt. Seat of the pants feel is a little inconsistent day-to-day. It's hard to really describe it. It also has quite a bit less power when the battery is at 70% vs 100%. At 20% and less it feels like a completely different vehicle.

harkco

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE / 2018 Lexus GX
Make sure to let us know how the final vote ends up! Thanks again!

OP
OP

Rich Truett

First Name
Rich Truett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Reporter
Make sure to let us know how the final vote ends up! Thanks again!
I believe we vote around the end of December with the results coming Jan. 11.

Pherdnut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Mazda CX-9
Much faster than an R1T? This seems surprising, since both have been reported at 0-60 in 3 seconds. Perhaps the R1T wasn’t in sport mode when they were doing the testing? Seems like an odd miss.
That's the OP's own take on it. The Hummer makes roughly the same acceleration as the Rivian IF you give it a minute to warm up first. Not kidding. It needs to prime the battery or some-such. No idea what it's legit 0 to 60 from a standstill is but it's clearly not 3 seconds.

Sponsored

koersontap

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None!
Occupation
Engineer
This surprises me too. Everything I've seen is that in order to even get that advertised 3 second 0-60, you need to do it in WTF mode, which is effectively just a launch control system (why is this even needed???). One of their engineers stated that without WTF mode engaged, you're looking at 4.5 seconds to 60. Which is a full 50% slower!

Babbuino

First Name
Manuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3
Occupation
DESIGN engineer
How long were you able to drive them so you can draw all your conclusions?

Pherdnut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Mazda CX-9
This surprises me too. Everything I've seen is that in order to even get that advertised 3 second 0-60, you need to do it in WTF mode, which is effectively just a launch control system (why is this even needed???). One of their engineers stated that without WTF mode engaged, you're looking at 4.5 seconds to 60. Which is a full 50% slower!
I could see how you could walk away thinking the R1T wasn't as fast if you didn't actually floor it. There's a ton of play in the lower range in normal mode for daily driving. But when we floored it at First Mile in Normal, in normal mode, it was like being on one of those L-shaped magnetic accelerator rides. I remember thinking "has it been 3 seconds yet" and then noticing that the speedometer already at 100mph. Also, very quiet. No fake engine noise. It just took off like a stealth ninja bat out of hell.

Babbuino

First Name
Manuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3
Occupation
DESIGN engineer
I could see how you could walk away thinking the R1T wasn't as fast if you didn't actually floor it. There's a ton of play in the lower range in normal mode for daily driving. But when we floored it at First Mile in Normal, in normal mode, it was like being on one of those L-shaped magnetic accelerator rides. I remember thinking "has it been 3 seconds yet" and then noticing that the speedometer already at 100mph. Also, very quiet. No fake engine noise. It just took off like a stealth ninja bat out of hell.
I think GM was smart with the wtf mode. Having music playing, vehicle lowering, and steering wheel vibrating gets you more excited with what's about to happen.
I'm sure this feels way more over the top than just pressing the accelerator like on the R1T.
Even Tesla with the cheetah stance made you feel much faster than without it, even though in reality the difference wasn't that much

PastyPilgrim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
So some jurors will judge it as a commuter vehicle and disregard its advantages and capabilities in one niche area (offroading, adventures, snow/terrain, etc.) while knocking it for not excelling in another niche area (towing/hauling)?

That's unfortunate. Are there not constraints or guidelines for what constitutes the "best" truck? Like is the goal to pick the most innovative truck, the best work truck, the best commuter truck, the best off-road truck, the truck that best achieves its goals, etc?
Sponsored