Sponsored

R1T = a high maintenance princess (demands a $29k fix ;) )

Rivian_Hugh_III

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Infiniti EX35
I would think they test all that stuff at the factory before it's even loaded up on a truck. That might not catch a fluid leak though.

Been a while since I made that mistake you made. Never hit anything but definitely very quickly threw the trans in my truck into park.
I shifted too but in the moment ended up in neutral not park. Yeah, maybe fluid leak. OPā€™s experience sounds outside the norm
Sponsored

lg3103

First Name
Lars
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW Atlas, Mini SE
Occupation
Director
I have a VW Atlas as an interim vehicle (been driving it for 3 years now šŸ˜‚). Needed a repair on the front number, grill and hood latch due to an accident and itā€™s taken over two months and there are still parts missingā€¦this isnā€™t just a Rivian problem at the moment

Hello,

I preordered last year and received my R1T in June. YAY!

The process moved along really quickly. My estimated delivery window was from October to December, but after everything magically appeared in my online account, I received the delivery a week and a half later. Communication with the Guide was minimal to nonexistent.

I loved the truck for a whole week before I got into a fender bender :( I loved the truck even though the whole time I felt like I was testing a buggy product for Rivian. On the other hand, if I'm out somewhere with the truck a lot of people will comment on how cool it looks. The acceleration is awesome and the gear tunnel is fantastic!

Coming back to the story, I never had an auto accident in life but I guess there is always the first, right? Well, I applied the breaks as hard as I can but the truck felt like it was on ice and I knew 3-4 seconds before it crashed that it is not stopping. Luckily, we were going 20-25 mph. The incident left a dent on the hood and minor damages to the bumper.

Collision Center Nightmares:
Unfortunately, there is only one Rivian authorized collision center in my state (VA), and they didn't had any appointments for the next three months. For some reason, Rivian will only deliver components to this collision center. I spoke with Rivian, and they decided to work on other warranty items first. Rivian has been very helpful and trying to do what they can. They talked with the collision center and got me a date for the subsequent month. Well, it's now being "repaired". Try to guess what I get next. THE ESTIMATE!!! and how much is it, exactly? 29k!!! ;)
Well, the repair shop placed the order for the parts, but they either received the wrong ones or broken ones from Rivian. The only thing I hope for now is to get my truck back one day! I hope I get it back eventually, it's been about 3 months and counting.

It seems like there is nothing like repair in R1T, it is all about replacing the parts. If I have another chance I will probably wait to buy R1T up until Rivian has more roots established.

Overall, I loved the truck for the time I had while most of the time it felt like I'm someone testing the software, truck and reporting bugs, for Rivian lol. I hope that with more truck/SUV rollouts there will be more collision centers and better handing of the repairs.

Till next time! Cheers!

rivianguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
The traffic was going extremely slow, we were doing 20-25mph. The people in front of me were braking and coming to a complete stop. I tried doing the same but my truck wasn't slowing down and it felt like the system took over my brakes and it didn't matter how hard I apply the brakes it wasn't really slowing down. My wife felt the same that it was sliding on the ice.
The traffic was going extremely slow, we were doing 20-25mph. The people in front of me were braking and coming to a complete stop. I tried doing the same but my truck wasn't slowing down and it felt like the system took over my brakes and it didn't matter how hard I apply the brakes it wasn't really slowing down. My wife felt the same that it was sliding on the ice.
If I were an insurance adjuster (which I'm not) I would have a few concerns about this account to be honest. The main one being that this was a low speed accident (20-25 mph) and that you state that it took between 3-4 seconds to come to a stop. Short of a complete brake failure I cannot imagine that scenario actually happening in this vehicle even if you were truly on ice. Further if your top speed was 25 mph and you hammered the brakes for 4 seconds I just can't understand how that would lead to significant damage to the front of the vehicle. 20 mph to not being able to stop in 1....2....3....4 seconds implies a total loss of braking control. With these vehicles the regenerative braking is so aggressive that they lend themselves to 'one pedal driving' and typically come to a stop even at high speeds at a much shorter time, so this would imply braking failure as well as regenerative braking failure potentially. Just seems odd.

SolartoEV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T VIN 269*, 2019 RAV4 Hybrid, 1999 Ford F-250
The truck uses the brakes towards the end of a full regenerative braking application. I can hear mine squeak every now and then because even after 11,000 miles my rotors are shinny new looking. So unless OP received vehicle and the accident was the first time the brought the truck to a stop it would be hard to explain them not working.

Sponsored

Gsxr150

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F
I believe I have like 50-60 tickets open lol
Just to list a few AC vents never worked for me lol (they like to blow air only in one direction, I have learnt though that they have fixed this issue via OTA), driver+ (I stopped using it and when it rains it sees invisible things and brakes for no reason or drives where ever. My rental now has lane feature and that works a lot better lol. The cruise control was a joke in R1T), the truck pulls to one direction is the other one.
It was flat road and sunny day. We were coming back from the beach :)
Hopefully it will upload the picture now!

IMG_9097.jpg
Wait...you have 50 issues with a week old truck? Surprised you're not banished from this forum for saying that.

Echoix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None
Braking issue IS concerning. Doesnā€™t add up. I am sorry this happened.

I wanted to comment on the body shop challenge. I am in the Atlanta area. One certified Rivian repair shop available with several locations offered. The closest shop took the call and set up the photos / estimate. They gave me a repair date 10-11 weeks out.

The following day this shop called me about the estimate being available and that only one of the shop locations took ā€œexoticā€ vehicles like a Rivian. (Whatever!) This shop is 50 miles away. So not convenient. However, they did say bring it to them ASAP, whenever I could. I was thankful to not have to wait 11 weeks, just to get in the door!

The repair place had it in the shop, torn down, parts ordered and back in my hands under 2 weeks! They gave regular text updates. I thought this entire experience was stunningly amazing/ epic service. Predominantly on the repair shop side but also Rivian Normal.
My damage was front bumper hit and run tow hitch puncture, so not what the red truck had, but still stellar. $3k.

Rivian R1T R1S R1T = a high maintenance princess (demands a $29k fix ;) ) AFE9DD8C-D473-4D8F-9D38-FCFC9E440B38

mount_finkus

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
(Sold) 1984 Toyota Land Cruiser
Occupation
Web Development
Wait...you have 50 issues with a week old truck? Surprised you're not banished from this forum for saying that.
Have you ever tried adding to a conversation instead of whining about your own problems?

Gsxr150

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F
Have you ever tried adding to a conversation instead of whining about your own problems?
Look at my posts. The issues with this truck are stacking up, aren't they? From the glass to the washer fluid sprayers not working. The list is growing, unfortunately.

Sponsored

Tonicart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Braking does seem slower than in my last vehicle, a Subaru Forester. Probably has something to do with the vehicle weighing 8,000 lbs
I find that my braking reaction time is slower in the R1T / EV, because I'm usually regen braking. Takes me a while to register that I need to use the brake pedal / brembos.

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

Please everyone "bed your brakes". Start with slow stops, then medium stops, work your way up to higher MPH and HARD stops. New brake pads don't work well.
Iā€˜m used to doing this with new pads on new discs, but the OPD throws a twist in, I think. Is it safe to say that the best way of doing this on a Rivian is to set regen to low and use the brake pedal so the friction brakes are used? I picture people using high regen and OPD to try to bed the brakes and I donā€˜t I picture that doing much if the vehicle is using little to no friction braking.

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

Look at my posts. The issues with this truck are stacking up, aren't they? From the glass to the washer fluid sprayers not working. The list is growing, unfortunately.
The list is growing but each of us must evaluate our own risk tolerance. I signed up for the Rivian experience expecting a brand new product to meet my expectations for a new vehicle from an established brand: Land Rover. While I have had fantastic luck with our existing Land Rover, Iā€™m not fooling myself into thinking that my experience is even close to typical.

Maybe your perspective is coming from a manufacturer known for trouble-free product launches and little to no unplanned maintenance, but if thatā€™s the case then Rivian may add an unacceptable amount of stress to your life.

redwolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Is it safe to say that the best way of doing this on a Rivian is to set regen to low and use the brake pedal so the friction brakes are used?
Set to low and go for a spirited back road drive. Or just do it on a major, but not busy, street. I use the friction brakes on top of the high regen sometimes, driving in LA city traffic.

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

Set to low and go for a spirited back road drive. Or just do it on a major, but not busy, street. I use the friction brakes on top of the high regen sometimes, driving in LA city traffic.
When we get our R1S I donā€™t think itā€™ll take much arm twisting to go for a spirited back road drive. :like:
Sponsored