R1T $69,000 starting price - opinions

VinsRiv

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Hello members, new member here. I would like to get opinions & thoughts on this vehicle. I am very interested in the purchase of this truck, I prefer the R1S, but does it really make sense to put a $1,000 pre-order in for a company that isn’t fully off the ground yet, wouldn’t it be wise to wait & see the actual vehicle, where the company will have there service centers, I think it would be better to wait & see the actual prices, with options & how everything will be done before & after purchase. Also to get the bugs out of the first year vehicle, I am sure it will have a few in its first year. Right now I have a14 Jeep Grand Cherokee and would like very much to have a vehicle like this, also waiting on the model y. Your thoughts & opinions would be appreciated thank you
Sponsored

Revelation

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian Blue R1T
Occupation
IT Solutions Architect
Hey VinsRiv,

The $1k is a refundable deposit, so you are technically not out any money. The money is supposed to sit in an escrow account and it isn't supposed to be touched by the company until orders are actually placed.

Rivian is far more along and more organized than any other startup EV company outside of Tesla. Could they fail, sure. "We" are betting that they won't fail and that they will bring their products to market.

I love Grand Cherokees! I went from a '12 JGC Overland to a Tesla Model 3. I think the R1S will be bigger than the JGC but it should be very similar to what the JGC is. The Model Y should be a bit smaller than the JGC though it should also have many of the capabilities. I do not know what the off-road capabilities of the Y will be and that is where I think it will be lacking. The good news is we should learn more about the Model Y soon.

The Model Y will most likely be shipping prior to Rivian's products, though I don't think by that much. Tesla is also notorious for delays and that could cause the Model Y to be delayed after the Rivian R1S or R1T.

VinsRiv

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee
I agree with you, Revelation I was going to get a model 3 also but I will wait for model Y cause I rather have the higher seating height, wont be doing much off roading but I like everything theR1S has to offer. Thanks for your thoughts

RockDaphne98296

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E FE,
Occupation
Commercial Aerospace Interiors
I think the price is aligned for the value - comparable to Tesla (Less expensive actually) and current truck offerings from Ford, etc. We have an F-350 and it was over the $75k mark when it was new... This truck is most likely closer to a F-150 but still...

Last edited:

Hydro

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
still searching
I think the price is aligned for the value - comparable to Tesla (Less expensive actually) and current trick offerings from Ford, etc. We have an F-350 and it was over the $75k mark when it was new... This truck is most likely closer to a F-150 but still...
Totally agree if they deliver on the promised performance I think it offers a ton of features and innovation for the money compared to the others. The big unknown for me is how much the options will cost and what a fully loaded one will cost.

I see you preordered a R1S. Care to share your preorder in this thread? I'm deciding between the R1T and R1S myself but don't want to make a commitment then change my mind and have to go to the back of the line again.

Sponsored

RockDaphne98296

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E FE,
Occupation
Totally agree if they deliver on the promised performance I think it offers a ton of features and innovation for the money compared to the others. The big unknown for me is how much the options will cost and what a fully loaded one will cost.

I see you preordered a R1S. Care to share your preorder in this thread? I'm deciding between the R1T and R1S myself but don't want to make a commitment then change my mind and have to go to the back of the line again.
Thanks Hydro - I have added a post to the preorder thread :-D I totally agree with you - I am sincerely hoping all of the cool toys and features are included, but not sure until Rivian confirms the trim levels - so far it seems the items dictating price is the battery size/range...

About the model selection - my confirmation email says this " If at any time you decide you'd like to switch models, no need to cancel your order and lose your place in line — when it’s time to configure your vehicle, you’ll be able to switch between the R1T and R1S. " So I wouldn't worry about losing your place in line...

Hydro

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
still searching
Thanks Hydro - I have added a post to the preorder thread :-D I totally agree with you - I am sincerely hoping all of the cool toys and features are included, but not sure until Rivian confirms the trim levels - so far it seems the items dictating price is the battery size/range...

About the model selection - my confirmation email says this " If at any time you decide you'd like to switch models, no need to cancel your order and lose your place in line — when it’s time to configure your vehicle, you’ll be able to switch between the R1T and R1S. " So I wouldn't worry about losing your place in line...
That's great news, thanks for letting me know! I may go ahead and put down a deposit on R1T for now then. I'd really love to see both in person first.

It will be interesting to see if Rivian has the same trim levels and options for both, with same price scaling, given the R1S starts at a higher base price. Does that mean the R1S comes standard with more creature comforts/tech/safety features?

VValleyEV

First Name
Rollin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
What is going to be interesting to me is the choice between the long-range and mid-range battery pack versions.

With the $70k price for short-range battery, lets say for example that the mid-range version will start at $80k and the long-range at $90k. From what I can gather, there will be a number of attractive options available for the base models, and I would have to expect those to add at least $10k for “fully loaded”. So if hypothetically I start with a budget of $90k, which of course is a whole lot of money, I still may have to make a hard choice between a “stripped down” long range version vs a “fully loaded” medium range. Although I love the idea of a 400-mile range EV pickup, and kinda started from that position as a given, I may be sorely tempted to settle for “only” a 300-mile range model to get the nice options that I want. Also the mid-range model has the highest performance, quoted in 0-60mph times anyway.

RockDaphne98296

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E FE,
Occupation
That's great news, thanks for letting me know! I may go ahead and put down a deposit on R1T for now then. I'd really love to see both in person first.

It will be interesting to see if Rivian has the same trim levels and options for both, with same price scaling, given the R1S starts at a higher base price. Does that mean the R1S comes standard with more creature comforts/tech/safety features?
I guess I have thought that the SUV was priced higher simply because of the back end - truck bed (even with super cool features) vs. enclosed interior with a third row of seats or cargo area. Otherwise they appear to be similarly equipped. But I haven't studied the details to that level - I am SUV leaning...

Last edited:

bathbunny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 RWD LR, first-production
What do you guys think of the $69,000 starting price ($61,500 with the tax credit)? I assume most will opt for the larger battery too.

Looking at the specs on paper, if they can really deliver on them it almost seems like a bargain for the level of luxury and performance. Is it just me?
It's comparable in terms of luxury to equivalently priced ICE pickups. In terms of performance, well, anything with electric motors pretty automatically outperforms anything with ICEs in the same price range. So I think the price is reasonable -- neither a bargain nor overpriced. You could not start with a barebones vehicle aimed at the $30-35K market -- with limited production for at least a few years, you need some distinguishing feature. Bollinger chose offroad performance and ruggedness, emphasizing the utilitarian aspect; Rivian chose onroad performance and the "great outdoors" theme, emphasizing luxury; both added clever twists (the Bollinger front-to-rear passthrough, good for lumber, the Rivian sideways passthrough, good for outdoors toys).

I put down my $1K with Rivian, but had also put down my name with Bollinger much earlier, and am still on the fence as to which one I'd rather buy -- I guess it will come down to whether Bollinger can really make it (very unclear at this point) and whether Tesla can top Rivian's offer, which we'll find out later this year.

Sponsored

bathbunny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 RWD LR, first-production
What is going to be interesting to me is the choice between the long-range and mid-range battery pack versions.

With the $70k price for short-range battery, lets say for example that the mid-range version will start at $80k and the long-range at $90k. From what I can gather, there will be a number of attractive options available for the base models, and I would have to expect those to add at least $10k for “fully loaded”. So if hypothetically I start with a budget of $90k, which of course is a whole lot of money, I still may have to make a hard choice between a “stripped down” long range version vs a “fully loaded” medium range. Although I love the idea of a 400-mile range EV pickup, and kinda started from that position as a given, I may be sorely tempted to settle for “only” a 300-mile range model to get the nice options that I want. Also the mid-range model has the highest performance, quoted in 0-60mph times anyway.
Mid-range, for sure. Much better specs for what seems to be a fairly modest additional outlay (15% extra); given that the truck is expensive to start with, the extra 15% seems like a modest price for the increased performance.
The ultra-long range remains poorly defined, but specs given so far suggest it gives up on almost every other aspect of performance for the (admittedly spectacular) range. An in my case, I don't need the range... My Model 3 has 325mi range and that's enough on the Big Island of Hawaii that I never have to use a public charger -- I can go anywhere on the island, including a full tour of all parks and have enough juice left to make it back home. Since at home I charge from my solar panels, I have true carbon-free driving and will keep it that way.

KeithPleas

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus GX, Porsche Boxster
I'm deciding between the R1T and R1S myself but don't want to make a commitment then change my mind and have to go to the back of the line again.
My Feb 18 pre-order confirmation email said "If at any time you decide you'd like to switch models, no need to cancel your order and lose your place in line — when it’s time to configure your vehicle, you’ll be able to switch between the R1T and R1S. "

Larsas

First Name
Lars
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S85D
Just came across this on youtube, the interviewer is amazed at the low price, thinks it should cost 100.000$, and the Rivian representative says "a fully loaded one with everything on it will be". I'm assuming he's referring to the R1S with 185kw battery pack, he also hints to level 3 self driving being an optional add on for extra cost.

KeithPleas

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus GX, Porsche Boxster
Just came across this on youtube...
That's helpful - quite a few details in there I hadn't seen before and folks had asked about. We saw the full size spare below the truck bed, the roof rack bars that could be moved to the bed as well, the dual position tailgate, and a rationale for the "stadium" lighting on the grill. And the joke about the hot tub in the frunk...that would indeed be cool. My favorite mention though was the thermochromic roof panels.

Cardiffarian

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3; Jag F Pace; ‘66 Bronco
That's helpful - quite a few details in there I hadn't seen before and folks had asked about. We saw the full size spare below the truck bed, the roof rack bars that could be moved to the bed as well, the dual position tailgate, and a rationale for the "stadium" lighting on the grill. And the joke about the hot tub in the frunk...that would indeed be cool. My favorite mention though was the thermochromic roof panels.
For me it will probably be the mid-range truck. I am skeptical about standard features, though. Hoping for the best but expecting the worst. There could be some deal killers in there if it’s a scant standard list and a “too pricey” options list. Don’t care if it compares to a loaded up Tahoe or something....if it over promises and under delivers I will most likely pass on it. The lack of info doesn’t help. Sorry if this sounds too negative because I love this truck, but I also know how the car industry works. Let’s all hope that Rivian is different.
Sponsored