R1T $69,000 starting price - opinions

JerseyGreens

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S ADV
Occupation
CAT Property Underwriter
Pure speculation, but I think configurator availability timing will be announced @ Fully Charged Live Feb 1/2, possibly for a month or two later. Previous statements have been early 2020, if I'm not mistaken...hopefully not later than April.
I hope they are following this board as our community is ready for a key update!
Sponsored

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
I hope they are following this board as our community is ready for a key update!
I can confirm that they do, but they also only put out good info. They don't 'shoot from the hip' like other EV makers.

JerseyGreens

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S ADV
Occupation
CAT Property Underwriter
Which is, in my opinion, the wrong approach. "Any news is good news". They need to keep us engaged or our minds (and our wallets) will wander.
I thought they would have released a key update when the cybertruck came out but nope they kept their head down and focused on the goal.

They aren't the type to share information solely for marketing purposes like other EV companies.

This is a company of engineers. They don't care for fireworks. Although I do want a concrete update soon. It's been too quiet.

eltrkadvntrr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rice Burner
Rivian is the sort of company that refrains from blowing hot air. When they speak they have substance. In my opinion when news comes out they mean it. Id prefer this approach over one that runs their mouth and leaves the recipient(s) with doubt.

Sponsored

CappyJax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Forester
Which is, in my opinion, the wrong approach. "Any news is good news". They need to keep us engaged or our minds (and our wallets) will wander.
No, it isn't. I don't listen to anything Musk or Tesla says, because it has a very high change of being BS. I would never buy a Tesla because of this. I want a vehicle from a company that can deliver what they say they can.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
Clearly Musk's approach is indeed the correct approach as he has been consistently been, though not without some bumps in the road, immensely successful at everything to which he has set his hand. He is clearly a genius though perhaps a mad one. The most recent example of this was made manifest in Cramer's recent show where he reversed his previous position on TSLA due in part to the influence of his step daughter and wife who separately found the cars "must have" largely because of, ready for this, the Emissions Testing mode. Preposterous, of course, but it sells cars. Genius!

Last edited:

CappyJax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Forester
Clearly Musk's approach is indeed the correct approach as he has been consistently been, though not without some bumps in the road, immensely successful at everything to which he has set his hand. He is clearly a genius though perhaps a mad one.
Being smart doesn't make one successful. Being lucky and willing to exploit others does. There are many studies showing this.

Without a great deal of EV competition, Tesla has a bit of a monopoly in the field. Once competition starts to pull from his share of the market, Tesla will start to have trouble with him at the helm.

eltrkadvntrr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rice Burner
"Musk's approach is indeed correct..." Like the whole cybertruck vs f150 campaign ad. The ad that compares apples to oranges and was devised to only take advantage of those whom are not educated in the classification of trucks in the US. Yeah I would say he nailed that. LOL

Clearly Musk's approach is indeed the correct approach as he has been consistently been, though not without some bumps in the road, immensely successful at everything to which he has set his hand. He is clearly a genius though perhaps a mad one. The most recent example of this was made manifest in Cramer's recent show where he reversed his previous position on TSLA due in part to the influence of his step daughter and wife who separately found the cars "must have" largely because of, ready for this, the Emissions Testing mode. Preposterous, of course, but it sells cars. Genius!

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE Retired
Being smart doesn't make one successful.
No. I know lots of people that are not particularly successful who are very smat. OTOH I know quite a few successful people and they have all been smart. But to imply that being smart isn't a tremendous asset and a major factor in success is naive in the extreme,

Being lucky ... does.
Funny, I was just discussing this with a new financial advisor Wednesday. We had both found in our life experiences that all the lucky people we have known have also been smart. Neither of us, I guess, has known a lottery winner. You'd have to be pretty dumb to buy a lottery ticket and of those that win the vast majority piss it all away in an incredibly short time and so, I suppose, could not be considered successful.

...and willing to exploit others does.
Well neither of us has known any drug dealers or pimps either i guess. Of course the state exploits the stupid in selling them lottery tickets. I guess that makes them successful.

There are many studies showing this.
Yes but 7.4 times as many studies show the opposite.

Without a great deal of EV competition, Tesla has a bit of a monopoly in the field.
And they got the monopoly position by being lucky, I suppose?

Once competition starts to pull from his share of the market, Tesla will start to have trouble with him at the helm.
Well he got in trouble with the SEC and basically gave them the finger and prevailed. He got in trouble with the pedo guy and basically gave him the finger too and then prevailed again. He smoked one of the biggest joints I've ever seen essentially in public without consequences. He put a fart generator in a $100+ luxury automobile. He broke the unbreakable window in the CyberTruck at its debut. Sheer genius! He came up with the concept of the SC years ago and no other manufacturer has had the perception to perceive what an act of genius that was to this day. No one knows what the future may hold but at the moment his cars are so far ahead of anything the competition has that while eventually some may catch on (perhaps Rivian) I'm not too concerned about "his share" of the market being appreciably eroded too soon.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Feathermerchant

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 P+, 2011 F150 SC 8ft bed
At the rate battery costs are declining, I'd expect the actual Rivian price to be lower than estimated.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE Retired
At the rate battery costs are declining, I'd expect the actual Rivian price to be lower than estimated.
Interestingly I just saw a piece from MIT describing a study by one of their Profs that says we will NOT reach $100/kWh by 2030 as everyone has been assuming as to do so would require the raw materials (Ni, Co, Mn, Li...) to be available going forward at essentially the same prices as today's. As mining is pretty much mature he doesn't think that will happen.

Of course this doesn't mean the guy is right. Broader use of recycled metals, new chemistries etc. may have as yet unanticipated pleasant surprises in store for us.

azjohnny

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S 100D Toyota Tundra
The game changer in battery tech will be the solid state battery

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
That's at least 4-5 yrs away according to the article I linked here.
I think we will hear/see more within 18 months, and see vehicle application in 4-5.
Sponsored