R1T $69,000 starting price - opinions

RivMan

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M4
What do you guys think of the $69,000 starting price ($61,500 with the tax credit)? I assume most will opt for the larger battery too.

Looking at the specs on paper, if they can really deliver on them it almost seems like a bargain for the level of luxury and performance. Is it just me?
Sponsored

Electronaut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A4
The tax credit really remains to be seen since the current administration is trying to eliminate them permanently while the manufacturers are lobbying to extend them permanently.

Obviously I haven't had a chance to check out the concept in person but based on all the reviews they rave about the quality. And the performance and range speak for themselves. $69k isn't unheard of for a full size pickup (spec'd F-150, Raptor) but that'll be the most expensive price point for a midsize pickup yet. So I think big question is gonna be how much does the midsize segment grow and take on new demographic in the couple of years until Rivian launches the R1T.

VSukx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover
The specs are impressive but how many buyers will actually use the R1T to its full capabilities gotta wonder? I think the question of price will be whether there is a big enough market for a high tech luxury pickup and whether electrification will appeal to or at least not turn off traditional truck buyers --if that is even the demographic that will give this truck a look.

Me personally I've always hoped for a pickup with the bells and whistles. It greatly exceeds my needs for towing and payload.

A Hawk

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i8
It'll be the most expensive base price for a pickup truck out there at least until Tesla's offering. There's no denying the savings and performance benefits of electifying pickups but to justify the price you have to really buy into that, and ignore the issues of range anxiety on steroids (heavier, possibly pulling weight) and challenges of offroading and possibly banging up a truck with a large battery under it.

Cardiffarian

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3; Jag F Pace; ā€˜66 Bronco
Hello out there. New Member and 1 Grand depositor. The $61,500 doesnā€™t bother me too much ā€˜cuz Iā€™m already groomed for it due to Jaguar F Pace and Model 3 in the garage. But $69,000 might be a big cause for concern if we lose the tax rebate. Especially so if a bunch of cool features turn out to be expensive options. Lots of Qā€™s about that and pricing for the mid-range version. For what I do and where I go, the mid-range would be just fine....but not if itā€™s $85,000. Would love the top of the line with all the goodies, but not at the anticipated $100,000. Would also need to see some progress on the supercharger network, although I try to use destination chargers as much as possible. What think you??

Last edited:

Sponsored

Revelation

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian Blue R1T
Occupation
IT Solutions Architect
I'm not too concerned with the federal rebate. Whilst it is nice to have it does not define my purchase. The only thing the rebate would provide is an incentive to purchase a vehicle prior to it expiring.

I, too, wonder what the options will be going from the base on up to the highest trim model. That long range battery, depending on what deals they have made, maybe the biggest option to select. On typical vehicles things like standard interior vs premium interior; standard suspension vs air-ride suspension and the list goes on. Hopefully Rivian doesn't act like a traditional manufacturer where it seems like they leave out options just to make you pay for it.

One thing I liked about Tesla; with the purchase of the premium interior (only option at this time, I know) I didn't have to pay more for a premium audio system or upgraded NAV system.

When it comes to trucks... I see the price coming in right where it needs to in order to penetrate the market. I know people who own $60k Ford Raptors that have never seen dirt. Even guys with trucks like to have that off-the-start power and I think electric trucks will be widely accepted and sought after. I think that will also be the catalyst for acceptance of EV's in general with the American population. The higher trim levels in trucks these days can get up to $90k and I see no reason why Rivian cannot compete throughout that entire market segment.

If Rivian can build out a "supercharger network" by deploying their own, teaming up with Electrify America or even Tesla then they will have a solid shot at taking market share away from the "Big 3." The fact that the trucks are designed to be off-road machines "off of the lot" will entice a lot of truck people. One only needs to look at how popular the Ford Raptor, Ram PowerWagon, etc.. are to consumers.

One thing I think Atlas is doing right is trying to work with third party accessory makers for their line of trucks to ensure everything fits together correctly and just works. I think that is something that Rivian could learn from while they are still very early in the game. With Tesla, Atlas and Rivian bringing out trucks in the next 2-3 years it will be very interesting to see how the "Big 3" handle things as I don't believe they are anywhere close to having an answer.

Cardiffarian

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I'm not too concerned with the federal rebate. Whilst it is nice to have it does not define my purchase. The only thing the rebate would provide is an incentive to purchase a vehicle prior to it expiring.

I, too, wonder what the options will be going from the base on up to the highest trim model. That long range battery, depending on what deals they have made, maybe the biggest option to select. On typical vehicles things like standard interior vs premium interior; standard suspension vs air-ride suspension and the list goes on. Hopefully Rivian doesn't act like a traditional manufacturer where it seems like they leave out options just to make you pay for it.

One thing I liked about Tesla; with the purchase of the premium interior (only option at this time, I know) I didn't have to pay more for a premium audio system or upgraded NAV system.

When it comes to trucks... I see the price coming in right where it needs to in order to penetrate the market. I know people who own $60k Ford Raptors that have never seen dirt. Even guys with trucks like to have that off-the-start power and I think electric trucks will be widely accepted and sought after. I think that will also be the catalyst for acceptance of EV's in general with the American population. The higher trim levels in trucks these days can get up to $90k and I see no reason why Rivian cannot compete throughout that entire market segment.

If Rivian can build out a "supercharger network" by deploying their own, teaming up with Electrify America or even Tesla then they will have a solid shot at taking market share away from the "Big 3." The fact that the trucks are designed to be off-road machines "off of the lot" will entice a lot of truck people. One only needs to look at how popular the Ford Raptor, Ram PowerWagon, etc.. are to consumers.

One thing I think Atlas is doing right is trying to work with third party accessory makers for their line of trucks to ensure everything fits together correctly and just works. I think that is something that Rivian could learn from while they are still very early in the game. With Tesla, Atlas and Rivian bringing out trucks in the next 2-3 years it will be very interesting to see how the "Big 3" handle things as I don't believe they are anywhere close to having an answer.

Cardiffarian

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Well said, Revelation. Iā€™m very looking forward to the answers to all the questions. The answers will most likely be the make or break point for a lot of us, I presume. My maximum sweet spot for a vehicle probably doesnā€™t exceed $80,000. That is still a shload for a pickup truck no matter the exotic nature of it. Still excited about the prospects, though. Interested to see if there will be any design changes between now and production (otherwise I suppose I will need to get used to that cartoonish front end, kind of like I did with the Model 3). Also, it interests me to know what my priority number is or at least how many have put down a deposit.

CappyJax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Forester
Well said, Revelation. Iā€™m very looking forward to the answers to all the questions. The answers will most likely be the make or break point for a lot of us, I presume. My maximum sweet spot for a vehicle probably doesnā€™t exceed $80,000. That is still a shload for a pickup truck no matter the exotic nature of it. Still excited about the prospects, though. Interested to see if there will be any design changes between now and production (otherwise I suppose I will need to get used to that cartoonish front end, kind of like I did with the Model 3). Also, it interests me to know what my priority number is or at least how many have put down a deposit.
But this one truck will do everything the three you own no can do and more. Except maybe drive around with the top off;)

Cardiffarian

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yep! Exactly why I want one. Just canā€™t stop whining about the lack of info on costs and options. The answer might be because Rivian doesnā€™t know either. Darn, probably answered my own question. ;) Hmmm, maybe they know but just donā€™t want to say yet...adds to the intrigue.

Sponsored

Papalock

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RAM 1500, Mustang GT
Yep! Exactly why I want one. Just canā€™t stop whining about the lack of info on costs and options. The answer might be because Rivian doesnā€™t know either. Darn, probably answered my own question. ;) Hmmm, maybe they know but just donā€™t want to say yet...adds to the intrigue.
I was involved in some FCA vehicle launches back in the day and can tell you that pricing, options/packaging were the last things to be finalized and sometimes it changed last minute before the launch. Of course this is FCA we're talking :) Rivian being a smaller company with only two vehicles I am sure will have a simpler process. But often times they won't finalize it until the very end since pricing is so susceptible to market forces, competition, etc.

CappyJax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Forester
Rivian is much smarter than Tesla. They aren't promising something they can't deliver such as a $35,000 model 3. Musk is a politician. Over promising and under delivering. But in the long run, it just ends up pissing off his would be customers. I would have a Tesla if it wasn't for Musk.

Revelation

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian Blue R1T
Occupation
IT Solutions Architect
Rivian is much smarter than Tesla. They aren't promising something they can't deliver such as a $35,000 model 3. Musk is a politician. Over promising and under delivering. But in the long run, it just ends up pissing off his would be customers. I would have a Tesla if it wasn't for Musk.
Really? Why do you hate Elon so much?

You do realize that Tesla said form the beginning that they would release the more expensive Model 3 and later release the base $35k model 3? You know, the EXACT same thing that Rivian has stated that they are going to do...

I really think you have an issue with Elon and you should sit and talk with someone about it. I can tell you that Rivian won't get everything right and they will have growing pains. Are you going to throw Rivian and RJ Scaringe under the bus as well when that happens?

If it wasn't for Musk, there would be no Teslas to buy.

CappyJax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Forester
Let's see. He is an arrogant, immature, loud mouth, brat who thinks his money allows him special privileges. He defames others to boost his ego, he has no loyalty to the employees that built up his companies, he has committed fraud, he has wasted billions on PR stunts, and he acts like a spoiled child.

Growing pains are one thing, and they are expected. Promising something you can't deliver when your company is on the verge of bankruptcy reeks of desperation.

Also, he isn't even that smart, just lucky. Without the money he made from Zip2, he wouldn't have started Paypal, and without that money, he wouldn't have been able to do anything. A lot of people could do far more than he has done what that kind of money.

If RJ Scaringe acted like Elon Musk, I certainly would call him out. I don't worship people for their celebrity status.
Sponsored