Sponsored

R1T $69,000 starting price - opinions

discsinthesky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Element
I'm hoping the addition of more competition pushes Rivian to be a bit more cost-competitive. https://www.detroitnews.com/story/b...rs-pushes-forward-endurance-truck/3728164001/

Rivian has my strong preference for lots of varied reasons, but I'm not in a position where price is no object either. It does seem like a 55/65/75 price structure for the basic trim levels would keep them fairly competitive with what else is coming, and given the federal/state incentives that still exist.
Sponsored

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
I'm hoping the addition of more competition pushes Rivian to be a bit more cost-competitive. https://www.detroitnews.com/story/b...rs-pushes-forward-endurance-truck/3728164001/

Rivian has my strong preference for lots of varied reasons, but I'm not in a position where price is no object either. It does seem like a 55/65/75 price structure for the basic trim levels would keep them fairly competitive with what else is coming, and given the federal/state incentives that still exist.
Lordstown is a completely mostly different market than the Rivian.
Range maxes at 250, and top speed of 80 mph. Perfectly adequate for the fleet/utility and work truck customers they are targeting, but probably not what most that signed up for the Rivian are looking for.
Rivian has hinted at future models at a lower price point (less HP, fewer motors, etc), but they have at least a couple of years of R1T/S orders to fill (along with the Amazon Vans) before they add new models.

discsinthesky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Element
Range maxes at 250, and top speed of 80 mph. Perfectly adequate for the fleet/utility and work truck customers they are targeting, but probably not what most that signed up for the Rivian are looking for.
Rivian has hinted at future models at a lower price point (less HP, fewer motors, etc), but they have at least a couple of years of R1T/S orders to fill (along with the Amazon Vans) before they add new models.
Yeah, I get that they are targeting different markets, and at different price points, but I think a certain amount of comparison/overlap is inevitable until the market fills out a bit more. I guess I'm hoping that some indirect competition will still help us who are still squarely in the Rivian camp.

Jehorton

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Model Y Performance
Occupation
Firefighter/Paramedic
Why has Rivian not updated the pricing? I see many people making videos on YouTube and even big companies writing articles using the base model starting at $69k. All the comments are saying that’s a lot and most are into the cheap Tesla price instead. Wish Rivian would educate people on how the mid level R1T is the 69k.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/aut...llinger-electric-pickups-compared/ar-BB1aeFug

This article was posted a day ago. Once again wrong information on the Rivian.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
I'd have left it at completely. Their market is the last mile delivery market and their products are short range trucks and drones. But the reason I'm posting is that I just noticed that as of today their shares are appearing under the the symbol RIDE rather than the name of the SPAC so I guess the "acquisition" is complete.

Sponsored

davrow_R1T

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 Toyota Siennas
Why has Rivian not updated the pricing? I see many people making videos on YouTube and even big companies writing articles using the base model starting at $69k. All the comments are saying that’s a lot and most are into the cheap Tesla price instead. Wish Rivian would educate people on how the mid level R1T is the 69k.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/aut...llinger-electric-pickups-compared/ar-BB1aeFug

This article was posted a day ago. Once again wrong information on the Rivian.
I tend to blame the lazy article writers rather than the companies they report on. Lack of research is all too common today.

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
I tend to blame the lazy article writers rather than the companies they report on. Lack of research is all too common today.
If they do their research, they will find this on the Rivian website:
Preorder the R1T.
Experience the thrill of navigating the world in an Electric Adventure Vehicle. Starting price of $69,000 ($7,500 federal tax credit not included).

We are all basing the $69K for the mid level with electrochromic roof on third hand information from a report of a conversation at one of the events. If I was a writer for a publication, I would go with what Rivian has officially announced and put in writing.

azbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mach E, Hummer EV SUT
Occupation
Engineer
Preorder the R1T.
Experience the thrill of navigating the world in an Electric Adventure Vehicle. Starting price of $69,000 ($7,500 federal tax credit not included).

We are all basing the $69K for the mid level with electrochromic roof on third hand information from a report of a conversation at one of the events. If I was a writer for a publication, I would go with what Rivian has officially announced and put in writing.
As a consumer, I also go with what is written on the web site.

R1Simon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid
Preorder the R1T.

It's not JUST third hand info from a conversation, this was reported on Reuters, Electrek, and other sources directly through Rivian. The broader point stands though, that because Rivian has failed to update their website with concrete pricing, the narrative stands that the base price is $69k. Sometimes it seems as if they aren't too concerned with marketing or garnering additional interest.

https://electrek.co/2020/01/26/rivian-base-price-lower-than-69000-cybertruck-effect/

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
It's not JUST third hand info from a conversation, this was reported on Reuters, Electrek, and other sources directly through Rivian. The broader point stands though, that because Rivian has failed to update their website with concrete pricing, the narrative stands that the base price is $69k. Sometimes it seems as if they aren't too concerned with marketing or garnering additional interest.

https://electrek.co/2020/01/26/rivian-base-price-lower-than-69000-cybertruck-effect/
Those reports do not contradict what I stated. They are 3rd hand reports of conversations at an event.
When Rivian was contacted about the report, their reply (as contained in the story you linked):
"Hi Jamie, our original listed prices represent a well-equipped vehicle. We’ll be releasing more details about pricing soon. "

If you can see something in that statement that confirms the battery pack size and other equipment included in the $69K original listed price, I must be missing something. "Well-equipped" holds no contractual meaning, but the dictionary definition is: "having sufficient equipment, supplies, or abilities" . I have no doubts that every Rivian sold will have "sufficient equipment".

Sponsored

R1Simon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Those reports do not contradict what I stated. They are 3rd hand reports of conversations at an event.
When Rivian was contacted about the report, their reply (as contained in the story you linked):
"Hi Jamie, our original listed prices represent a well-equipped vehicle. We’ll be releasing more details about pricing soon. "

If you can see something in that statement that confirms the battery pack size and other equipment included in the $69K original listed price, I must be missing something. "Well-equipped" holds no contractual meaning, but the dictionary definition is: "having sufficient equipment, supplies, or abilities" . I have no doubts that every Rivian sold will have "sufficient equipment".
" Rivian founder and chief executive R.J. Scaringe told Reuters the mid-range R1T pickup truck with a glass sky panel that can change from blue to clear was about $69,000. It can travel 300 miles on a full charge. A similar range R1S SUV will sell for about $72,000. "

That's from the Reuter's article - A quote to a news source directly from RJ.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...lower-than-previously-announced-idUSKBN1ZP00B

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
" Rivian founder and chief executive R.J. Scaringe told Reuters the mid-range R1T pickup truck with a glass sky panel that can change from blue to clear was about $69,000. It can travel 300 miles on a full charge. A similar range R1S SUV will sell for about $72,000. "

That's from the Reuter's article - A quote to a news source directly from RJ.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...lower-than-previously-announced-idUSKBN1ZP00B
Like I said. A report about a conversation and not an official statement from Rivian. Not casting dispersions on that particular reporter, but they have been known to get things wrong. Rivian was unwilling to confirm that statement officially, and their website currently contradicts it (unless the 105 kWh vehicles somehow cost more than the $69K starting price of the mid-range R1T).

If you are a reporter, there is no way to fact check the original Reuters report (Electrek tried, but Rivian would not confirm it). Do I believe that RJ made that statement and that it was true at the time? Absolutely. If I am a reporter with the obligation to confirm information, the most I could do would be reference another story that reported a conversation that someone else had.

My post was in response to accusing a reporter of being lazy for using only official Rivian pricing information in a story.

Does the "starting from $69K" on the website mean the 105 kWh version will never be produced? Possibly. Does it mean that the 105 kWh version will be a later offering and come in at less than $69K? Also a possibility.

Does it mean that exactly what is included for the $69k price has not yet been finalized? I find that the most likely.

R1Simon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Like I said. A report about a conversation and not an official statement from Rivian. Not casting dispersions on that particular reporter, but they have been known to get things wrong. Rivian was unwilling to confirm that statement officially, and their website currently contradicts it (unless the 105 kWh vehicles somehow cost more than the $69K starting price of the mid-range R1T).
The quote stating that the original starting price ($69k) for the base vehicle (105kWh, no additional features) is now applicable to a specific model (mid-range = 135kWh), with a specific feature (electrochromic roof, therefore non-base). Given this info, it's reasonable to believe that the prices are lower than what is currently listed on the website. This is an on-the-record quote attributed to the CEO and Founder of Rivian, not some conversation with anonymous sources.

I'm not saying because it was documented that they are "contractually" obligated to sell a base 135kWh R1T for $69k, just as they aren't obligated to sell the 105kWh R1T for that price even though it is confirmed and on their website. Though, it is reasonable to believe based on quotes attributed to RJ that price listed on he website is out of date and real cost should be lower than previously stated. Adding that a reporter could reference this article/quote but could not state a guaranteed price, as none has been given.

"Well-equipped" holds no contractual meaning, but the dictionary definition is: "having sufficient equipment, supplies, or abilities" . I have no doubts that every Rivian sold will have "sufficient equipment".
I believe you'd be hard-pressed to find anyone here that agrees that well-equipped does not indicate the inclusion of some options.

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
quote attributed to the CEO and Founder of Rivian,
Exactly my point once again. Someone (not anonymous) is saying that RJ stated the increased spec for the $69K price. Rivian will not confirm the veracity of that quote..

I personally believe that the minimum we will get for the $69K is the 135 kWh pack and electrochromic roof. But I cannot state it as a fact with any evidence to support it. It's not lazy reporting to use only the official Rivian info, particularly since when asked specifically about the quote attributed to RJ, they decline to confirm it.

Jehorton

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Model Y Performance
Occupation
Firefighter/Paramedic
Exactly my point once again. Someone (not anonymous) is saying that RJ stated the increased spec for the $69K price. Rivian will not confirm the veracity of that quote..

I personally believe that the minimum we will get for the $69K is the 135 kWh pack and electrochromic roof. But I cannot state it as a fact with any evidence to support it. It's not lazy reporting to use only the official Rivian info, particularly since when asked specifically about the quote attributed to RJ, they decline to confirm it.
How do you know he declined to confirm?
Sponsored