Sponsored

R1T $69,000 starting price - opinions

sevengroove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition
Does the "starting from $69K" on the website mean the 105 kWh version will never be produced? Possibly. Does it mean that the 105 kWh version will be a later offering and come in at less than $69K? Also a possibility.

Does it mean that exactly what is included for the $69k price has not yet been finalized? I find that the most likely.
Agreed with all of these. I don't think Rivian is going to go back on its word, but if they are to update the website, they're not going to say "comes well-optioned starting at 69k". They need a new base price for the 105kwh version, and they're probably just not ready to release that yet until the configurator is out.

Alternatively they could just remove any reference to the base price from their website, although that might be construed as Rivian not having their sh*t together.
Sponsored

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
How do you know he declined to confirm?
Rivian response when asked to confirm the quote of RJ on what was included for $69K:
" our original listed prices represent a well-equipped vehicle. We’ll be releasing more details about pricing soon. "

davrow_R1T

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 Toyota Siennas
My post was in response to accusing a reporter of being lazy for using only official Rivian pricing information in a story.
That's kind of harsh and is not what I meant. I meant "take anything you read on the internet with a grain of salt". Reporters can and do say untrue things, by design or by accident. "Trust but confirm!" as the saying goes.

Also, all car sales contracts say "if it isn't in writing. it didn't happen". So DucRider, you are perfectly correct that the only info that matters, right or wrong, is what is on the web page.

Ssaygmo

First Name
Sage
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt
The quote stating that the original starting price ($69k) for the base vehicle (105kWh, no additional features) is now applicable to a specific model (mid-range = 135kWh), with a specific feature (electrochromic roof, therefore non-base). Given this info, it's reasonable to believe that the prices are lower than what is currently listed on the website. This is an on-the-record quote attributed to the CEO and Founder of Rivian, not some conversation with anonymous sources.

I'm not saying because it was documented that they are "contractually" obligated to sell a base 135kWh R1T for $69k, just as they aren't obligated to sell the 105kWh R1T for that price even though it is confirmed and on their website. Though, it is reasonable to believe based on quotes attributed to RJ that price listed on he website is out of date and real cost should be lower than previously stated. Adding that a reporter could reference this article/quote but could not state a guaranteed price, as none has been given.

I believe you'd be hard-pressed to find anyone here that agrees that well-equipped does not indicate the inclusion of some options.
Agree. But it is also open to interpretation "well equipped compared to other competing vehicles even in base level trim". It does, after all, still have a 105kwh battery and 4 electric motors, air suspension, etc.

Maybe they were waiting for Lucid and GM and Lordstown to roll out their own configurations and pricing to see what the completion is.

I personally like the Rivian better than all the competition, HOWEVER, I also have a cybertruck reservation. If Rivian decide to price like lucid and GM, and the r1t ends up being 69k for the base 250 mile model, $90k for the mid level 135kwh, and thus the base model ending up the same price as the fully loaded cybertruck... it will be a tough decision.

UT Rivian

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMWM2
Rivian response when asked to confirm the quote of RJ on what was included for $69K:
" our original listed prices represent a well-equipped vehicle. We’ll be releasing more details about pricing soon. "
I agree with your responses in that Rivian has never officially confirmed $69k for the mid range R1T. I have no idea what the final pricing structure will be, but they imply the lowest end model well be ‘well-equipped’ which essentially means even the lowest model will have a lot of features.

I honestly can’t imagine the margin for the 135 kWh with the fancy roof at $69k would make it profitable.

I also think this is why the configurator remains in flux. It‘s obviously vital to release it with accurate pricing. After all, you only get one shot to make a first impression.

Sponsored

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
. I also think this is why the configurator remains in flux.
While that's not an unreasonable assumption, I really don't think pricing is that much of a complication for Rivian. I think the bigger issue is their ability to plan around covid - especially since they have promised estimated production dates with the release of the configurator. They have stated that they anticipate another covid shutdown. The longer they put off releasing the configurator, the closer it will be to production and the more confidence they will have in their production schedule. While any number of things could be delaying the configurator, covid is by far the thing that is most out of their control.

ElectricTrucking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911, Chevy Bolt
I am impressed with the ability of any manufacturer to make anything. The amount of detail necessary is mind boggling. With todays youth thinking they are owed everything and no interest in learning anything it will be a struggle for the future of manufacturing.

Mjhirsch78

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Odyssey became an R1T: MAGIC!
Occupation
Teacher
I am impressed with the ability of any manufacturer to make anything. The amount of detail necessary is mind boggling. With todays youth thinking they are owed everything and no interest in learning anything it will be a struggle for the future of manufacturing.
“Get off my lawn!”

Generalizations like these are B.S. I have been teaching 12-18 year olds for 16 years. I have seen 16 year olds emancipated paying rent. I have also seen 18 year olds unwilling to push themselves and always looking for the easiest path. This is not new. This is not generational. There were millennials, Xers, and boomers who were on all levels of this scale. I watch my daughter’s junior high robotics team doing crazy cool things that require intense attention to detail and strong team communication/coordination. We will be fine. Engineering and design will continue to impress as the young minds of today have some cool perspectives based on different experiences that will produce new paths when combined with the institutional knowledge of the older crew.

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
“Get off my lawn!”

Generalizations like these are B.S. I have been teaching 12-18 year olds for 16 years. I have seen 16 year olds emancipated paying rent. I have also seen 18 year olds unwilling to push themselves and always looking for the easiest path. This is not new. This is not generational. There were millennials, Xers, and boomers who were on all levels of this scale. I watch my daughter’s junior high robotics team doing crazy cool things that require intense attention to detail and strong team communication/coordination. We will be fine. Engineering and design will continue to impress as the young minds of today have some cool perspectives based on different experiences that will produce new paths when combined with the institutional knowledge of the older crew.
We're definitely off topic here.

There is truth to both perspectives. The culture of entitlement scares me too & is more prolific than it has been in prior generations. However, there are still hard workers & innovators, but at a smaller minority than previously.

discsinthesky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Element
We're definitely off topic here.

There is truth to both perspectives. The culture of entitlement scares me too & is more prolific than it has been in prior generations. However, there are still hard workers & innovators, but at a smaller minority than previously.
Got any data on that?

Sponsored

JeremyMKE

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna, 2001 Yamaha Vino, 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Riviot
Got any data on that?

There is tons of data on that, I run the education team for a large engineering software company. BTW: There are always examples of the best and worst in people.

Bringing back manufacturing starts with eliminating the stigma that they are dead end jobs.

I could go on but I agree off topic.

I am optimistic, its just going to take work and an open mind!

Its companies like Rivian that can help inspire the youth to how fun, interesting, challenging and rewarding manufacturing and engineering could be!

RobBot

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2007 Toyota Tacoma
"The democratic youth . . . lives along day by day, gratifying the
desire that occurs to him, at one time drinking and listening to the
flute, at another downing water and reducing, now practising
gymnastic, and again idling and neglecting everything; and sometimes
spending his time as though he were occupied in philosophy."

~Platos Republic

And in the 1960s this quote was used (although often attributed to Socrates it has never been proven). I imagine for some of you, this quote was said about you.

"The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers."

Every generation thinks the next generation is entitled and lazy. I have very strong opinions about this, but I'm not going to get into a fight on a random internet forum. Somehow the human race has endured. With social media now you're going to see what you want to see. As Mr. Rogers said, "Look for the helpers"

cohall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
I'm just here to let you all know how disappointed I am that nobody has replied "OK Boomer".

Now trying to get us back on track...What options do you think will be included in the $69K starting price?

So far it's been moderately confirmed that the $69K is the mid-level battery pack and the electrochromatic roof. But we also know that RJ said it would also be a well equipped model, so what additional options might be included? My completely wild-a$$ guesses:
-mid-level stereo (if such an option exists)
-Power Tonneau Cover
-20" Wheels

Excluded:
-Power Tailgate
-Upgraded interior material (not leather, but something vegan)
-22" Wheels
-Top-o-the-line stereo (Paradigm)
-Power Frunk
-Bed lights, additional accessories
-power-sliding rear window
-Roof/bed racks

What say you?

drhnbtx

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"22 R1T '07 FJ Cruiser, '13 Chevy 2500, '18 XC90
i believe Alexa integration will be standard.

skid plates for other than battery optional
Sponsored