Sponsored

R1T “vampire” battery drain concerns. Is this normal?

jpa5635

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Network Nerd
No idea what I am looking at here. Need a better explanation/guidance!
The long piece of plastic sitting across the frunk is the trim piece I removed. In the picture it is turned upside down. The now uncovered front area of the frunk is where the trim is usually installed. There are five clips equally spaced on the underside of the trim that hold the trim onto the body area plus two tabs that slip underneath the adjacent trim that runs up the sides of the frunk. The long foam rectangles would be inward (closest to the storage area) and the arches would be over the headlights. Basically you can imagine grabbing the trim by the most inward edge and flipping it over to insert it back into place.
Sponsored

DTown3011

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
The long piece of plastic sitting across the frunk is the trim piece I removed. In the picture it is turned upside down. The now uncovered front area of the frunk is where the trim is usually installed. There are five clips equally spaced on the underside of the trim that hold the trim onto the body area plus two tabs that slip underneath the adjacent trim that runs up the sides of the frunk. The long foam rectangles would be inward (closest to the storage area) and the arches would be over the headlights. Basically you can imagine grabbing the trim by the most inward edge and flipping it over to insert it back into place.
Got it, now I understand! Thank you.

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
5 clips and a tab on either side that slide under the side trim. The easiest way to remove is to unclip each side first then the middle clip and then the two remaining. The piece is thin and flexible so can pulled out easily.

IMG_0446.jpg
Thanks for the pic. Looks like I’ll be doing that soon to see if it fixes the vampire drain. I lost 3% last night.

C.R. Rivian

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Niro EV...R1T Launch Edition
Occupation
retired
Camp Mode is only helpful when you are opening and closing doors, it keeps things from cycling on. It does nothing different if the vehicle is left alone.
" In addition to your truck or SUV’s normal energy setting, Camp mode introduces two more: ‘Stay off’ and ‘Stay on.’ The latter keeps the vehicle fully awake so you can use climate control, play music, and use other features while inside. ‘Stay off’ turns off all the outlets, Gear Guard video and most other features, including the Center display. " Software Spotlight: Camp Mode by Rivian - Rivian Stories
Not the whole answer, but somewhat helpful...every kilowatt counts..

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Quad Motor R1T (Selling the Xterra)
Clubs

I'm curious what users experiences have been with battery drain while gear guard is active vs not. Vancouver is prone to random auto crime and I'd like to see what kind of drain people have been experiencing.

Sponsored

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
I'm curious what users experiences have been with battery drain while gear guard is active vs not. Vancouver is prone to random auto crime and I'd like to see what kind of drain people have been experiencing.
I don't see much of a difference with gear guard on or off. I think my truck just isn't going to sleep and that's using the majority of the power.

OP
OP
mini2nut

mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Model Y
My truck is currently in the SC to resolve some body panel alignment issues and to look into excessive vampire battery drain. I will report back and see if Rivian calls it “within spec” or has a fix for the issue. I suspect nothing will be done until another software update is released.

OP
OP
mini2nut

mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Model Y
I picked up vehicle this week. I had numerous tickets in for body panel alignment and to investigate high vampire battery drain.

As expected Rivian stated that my amount of vampire battery drain was normal. Here is what was typed up on my service invoice;

Technician performed test based on the time stamp you provided the vehicle is operating as designed. A vehicle loses around 3.2% SOC, about 9 mI (14 km) per day, and at lower temperatures (below zero) the range loss may be as high as about 12 mI. (20 km) every 24 hrs. This is due to many factors and is normal

shrink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S (x2); '22 R1T; '14 Jeep Cherokee
Clubs

I have been losing anywhere from 4-7% per day and last night lost 3% in a 12 hour period. This is with PAAK turned off at home, climate powered off, bluetooth turned off on my phone. So I finally decided it wasn't any wireless connectivity issue and started exploring other possibilities. I'm sure everyone is aware of the reddit user who had the bad frunk latch so thinking of that, I popped the frunk lid and took a look. In my case the trim piece that sits directly above the grill and is sandwiched between the frunk lid and grill was clearly not attached correctly as there were gaps at both the right and left sides. It looked like it was rotated several degrees. I just decided WTH, I'll pull the trim piece off and see what happens. I did that at 11:46 Eastern time and in the almost 8 hours since then I have not lost a single mile of range or percentage of charge and I've been checking every hour so the truck has been awakened multiple times. Sorry I don't have pics to illustrate how out of alignment the panel was but my expectation was that I was wasting my time by removing it in the first place. As with all things, YMMV but looks like I may be on to something with my situation.
I removed the frunk trim piece as @jpa5635 discovered and had very impressive results with my much discussed issue. Basically, I had no overnight loss last night with the frunk trim piece removed, but the night before with the frunk piece installed, I lost 3% and 7 miles of rated range.

I'll post some additional details after work today. Might even start a new thread to call more attention to this potential fix prior to the upcoming OTA.

:handsinair: @jpa5635!

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
^ Wow!! This is unbelievable.... but in a good way!

I guess Rivian has determined this is the main sorce of Vampire Drain and is why the software fix is included in an upcoming update. Not cool how they try to downplay the severity and sheer number of their vehicles (um, basically every one of them) by saying "fixed occasional issue with front trunk sensor reporting not closed causing vehicle not to go to sleep"...

Sponsored

OP
OP
mini2nut

mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Model Y
Can the root cause of significant vampire drain be this simple of a fix?

DTown3011

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
I removed the frunk trim piece as @jpa5635 discovered and had very impressive results with my much discussed issue. Basically, I had no overnight loss last night with the frunk trim piece removed, but the night before with the frunk piece installed, I lost 3% and 7 miles of rated range.

I'll post some additional details after work today. Might even start a new thread to call more attention to this potential fix prior to the upcoming OTA.

If the OTA update fixes this like I hope it will, gamechanging....

DTown3011

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Can the root cause of significant vampire drain be this simple of a fix?
In all the posts I have seen, this has either fixed or significantly improved the issue. It has to be it!

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT

Yes, please start a new thread if you can.. this is a very significant issue and owners here might have found the workaround fix till Rivian rolls out the eventually SW fix.

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
Thank you, thank you for a possible short-term work around!! :clap:

Is the vehicle driveable without that cover installed? The hood latches correctly I assume?
Sponsored