R1S won't reset - no GPS, LTE or WiFi

mkennedy1996

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Model X, Model Y
Today I lost GPS, LTE and WiFi. I also tried to reconnect my phone and it won't present the setup screen.

Also the software version says something to the effect of Version Information Not Available. I am on the latest version for the last 6 days or so.

A soft reset goes through, but does not resolve any issues.

When I try a hard reset, it shows the notice that it is about to reset and then that goes away and the vehicle goes back to "normal" with the problems still there.

I called service and she said that this is the first time she heard of a truck that wouldn't reset. The connectivity team is going to contact me on Monday.

Any ideas or advice?
Sponsored

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Today I lost GPS, LTE and WiFi. I also tried to reconnect my phone and it won't present the setup screen.

Also the software version says something to the effect of Version Information Not Available. I am on the latest version for the last 6 days or so.

When I try a hard reset, it shows the notice that it is about to reset and then that goes away and the vehicle goes back to "normal" with the problems still there.

I called service and she said that this is the first time she heard of a truck that wouldn't reset. The connectivity team is going to contact me on Monday.

Any ideas or advice?
Sounds like the communication board died. It will probably need to be replaced.

maddave12

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Volvo XC90, Subaru Outback
Occupation
Selfless supporter of the economy
Clubs

I had the exact same thing happen 2 days ago (Apr 10). The support people I talked to seemed to have no idea about it as a set of symptoms, but Googling tells me folks have seen it as far back as a year ago. This is a few days after my mobile tech had to come back and reboot the 12v systems because my gear tunnel and tailgate quit opening after he replaced my 12v batteries.

So, far, I've read internet "wisdom" that:
- a 12v reboot (disconnecting then reconnecting the 12v batteries) has fixed it for some,
- a 12v reboot only temporarily fixed it, and
- it requires a new "transmission control module (TCM)", which has to be programmed at the factory after scanning your individual vehicle, and the programming takes weeks. Some have said this scan can be done by a mobile tech, others have been told it has to be at an SC.

I intend to push my local SC to:
- research the issue,
- send a mobile tech to do the scan, and get the programming started, and
- only require me to drive to the SC (3 hrs, round trip) once to get the new TCM installed.

Assuming, of course, that's what the SC understands is the actual problem.

OP
OP
mkennedy1996

mkennedy1996

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Model X, Model Y
I had the exact same thing happen 2 days ago (Apr 10). The support people I talked to seemed to have no idea about it as a set of symptoms, but Googling tells me folks have seen it as far back as a year ago. This is a few days after my mobile tech had to come back and reboot the 12v systems because my gear tunnel and tailgate quit opening after he replaced my 12v batteries.

So, far, I've read internet "wisdom" that:
- a 12v reboot (disconnecting then reconnecting the 12v batteries) has fixed it for some,
- a 12v reboot only temporarily fixed it, and
- it requires a new "transmission control module (TCM)", which has to be programmed at the factory after scanning your individual vehicle, and the programming takes weeks. Some have said this scan can be done by a mobile tech, others have been told it has to be at an SC.

I intend to push my local SC to:
- research the issue,
- send a mobile tech to do the scan, and get the programming started, and
- only require me to drive to the SC (3 hrs, round trip) once to get the new TCM installed.

Assuming, of course, that's what the SC understands is the actual problem.
My issue was the telematic control module.

Work order states:
"Internal failure of telematic control module. Replaced Telematic control module and all
functions retuned to as expected"

They first tried a same day appointment, but could not resolve. They told me a newTCM would need to programmed in California and then installed. That took three days and I was able to pick up the car.

maddave12

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Clubs

Work order states:
"Internal failure of telematic control module.
They first tried a same day appointment, but could not resolve. They told me a new TCM would need to programmed in California and then installed. That took three days and I was able to pick up the car.
"Telematic" makes more sense to me than "Transmission." I suspect the OP for my source had the word wrong.

3 days I can live with. 3 weeks would be a heck of a lot harder. This is encouraging!

Sponsored

RivianXpress

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Sprinter, TE300i, R1250GSA, KTM 500, 790
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Mine is doing this - First appt is 7 weeks away...

seatosummit

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 R1T, '87 LJ70, 73' Porsche 914 (EV Conversion)
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Clubs

Mine is doing this - First appt is 7 weeks away...
I imagine you asked about availability at the San Jose service center and the Sacramento service center?

I split time between norther and southern CA and the woman I spoke with last week said SJ tends to be less busy than SF.

Best of luck, doesn't sound fun.

Taco Corp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Clubs

Any ideas or advice?
Keep pushing on them, I had sent them links to all of the forum posts regarding this same issue when it happened to me in November. Very surprising that in spite of this obviously happening to multiple people that they still don't seem to have any sort of KB covering the symptoms. The guy at the shop had seen it before but I didn't get the sense that communication between the phone service folks and the shop techs is all that great.

s4wrxttcs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Engineer
I thought I responded to this point yesterday, but apparently that was another post of the same thing.

Maybe Rivian customer service should spend more time on this forum.

They'd learn a lot.

I don't have an original problem with my car, and I never had a single original problem.

Just dupes of other peoples problems. :-(

RivianXpress

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired Engineer
It is shocking there is not a KB covering this issue with tech support.

Sponsored

baker27118

First Name
Duane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2010 GMC Canyon
Occupation
IT Professional
I had the same issue. Service had me put the truck into a deep sleep and 1 hour later I could perform the hard reset.

Process
1. Turn BT off on all paired phones
2. Remove all keys and fob from truck and nearby
3. Get out and lock truck with keycard or fob
4. Stay away for +30 minutes
5. On lock truck and try hats reset.

Its worth a try as it worked for my issue. Good luck.

suprteck

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, Rivian R1T
Occupation
Mechanic
I have the same problem with no GPS wifi sos after the last update So the mobile tech came out today to reboot the car by disconnecting the 12v batteries but that didn’t work. Ended up having to replace both 12v batteries and still couldn’t get it to work. Truck ended up in turtle mode and was about to get towed back to Service center. Eventually came out of turtle mode but still needs to go to service center to get the TCM replaced. The tech told me he is seeing a lot of people with this issue after the last software update… Next time there is a software update I’m going to wait and see before being a Guinea pig

maddave12

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Clubs

I had the same issue. Service had me put the truck into a deep sleep and 1 hour later I could perform the hard reset.

Process
1. Turn BT off on all paired phones
2. Remove all keys and fob from truck and nearby
3. Get out and lock truck with keycard or fob
4. Stay away for +30 minutes
5. On lock truck and try hats reset.

Its worth a try as it worked for my issue. Good luck.
I did actually try this on mine because the support folks suggested it, but it didn't help in my case.

RivianXpress

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired Engineer
After six operate phone calls to six different Rivian Service people they were able to get me in for a service appt next week. Thanks for all the suggestion folks... hopefully they will get this repaired quickly.

Corewhit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150, LEXUS GX460
Occupation
Exec
This just happened to me on Wednesday. Spoke with Rivian service, they said they would get back to me by Friday. Nothing, so I called today and they said I probably need to go to SC because they don’t understand why it’s happening “we’ve never seen this before”. Earliest appt is July 18th! 6 weeks! Trying not to lose faith in them, but that’s just insane.
Sponsored