Sponsored

R1S vs. Similar ICE class vehicles (Ex. Yukon)

SlaterGS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Nissan Leaf, Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid
Clubs

What ICE vehicles will most likely be compared to the R1S?
These are ones I compare it to because these are ones we have looked at to replace our Chrysler T&C, but are there others that you feel are similar in size and purpose that would be good to compare?
Rivian R1T R1S R1S vs. Similar ICE class vehicles (Ex. Yukon) upload_2019-10-22_13-18-38

*I tried to take the base 4WD option of all of the vehicles above rather than the 2WD options to get starting price. If anyone knows the cargo number for the Rivian or Model X that would be great.
Sponsored

Last edited:

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
You could throw Explorer/Aviator, and Navigator in the mix if you want...my brother just bought a Navigator & loves it, but I haven't seen or ridden in it yet.

I'd also love to see HP/torque specs included, and you might consider noting the federal tax rebate for Rivian & Tesla price.

Oh, and the $72.5K R1S would be the 240 mile range w/ 105kw pack.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
I would also expect to see people cross shopping vehicles such as the Volvo XC90, BMW X5 and X7, Porsche Cayenne, Mercedes GLE and GLS, Audi Q8, Range Rover, etc.

I had been waiting for Volvo to release the 2020 XC60 Polestar Engineered until the R1S caught my attention earlier this year. Now I'm willing to wait just a little longer for the Rivian - I'd much rather skip the hybrid and go full electric. Not to mention the R1S is a proper SUV that doesn't have its cargo capacity compromised by the fastback crossover design that seems to be the current rage. Space gets a little tight in the back of my current XC60 when we've got both of our German Shepherds riding along. The R1S being a little larger but also not requiring the 3rd row seat, offering the benefits of a full electric powertrain all while remaining fun to drive make it a really compelling option for me.

Last edited:
OP
OP
SlaterGS

SlaterGS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

You could throw Explorer/Aviator, and Navigator in the mix if you want...my brother just bought a Navigator & loves it, but I haven't seen or ridden in it yet.

I'd also love to see HP/torque specs included, and you might consider noting the federal tax rebate for Rivian & Tesla price.

Oh, and the $72.5K R1S would be the 240 mile range w/ 105kw pack.
Good points that I will add.
Any word on the price for the 135 model so I can update? Or a guesstimate?

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
Good points that I will add.
Any word on the price for the 135 model so I can update? Or a guesstimate?
RJ has made mention that there will be a version of the 180 for less than $90K, so I assume the 135 will be in the $80's.

Sponsored

OP
OP
SlaterGS

SlaterGS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

I've updated the first image with some of the comments that you guys have provided. If there is a way to make it into a table rather than an image that would be great. It doesn't want to seem to take the html code...

Can someone explain "combined" hp and torque that Rivian claims?
Seems very disproportionate to what the Model X #'s are.

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
I've updated the first image with some of the comments that you guys have provided. If there is a way to make it into a table rather than an image that would be great. It doesn't want to seem to take the html code...

Can someone explain "combined" hp and torque that Rivian claims?
Seems very disproportionate to what the Model X #'s are.
Rivian uses 4 electric motors, each w/ 197hp, but total hp with all motors active is less than 4x the peak for each individual motor.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
I thought the Federal Incentive on the Tesla was down to $1875 through the end of the year when it phases out completely?

OP
OP
SlaterGS

SlaterGS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

Rivian uses 4 electric motors, each w/ 197hp, but total hp with all motors active is less than 4x the peak for each individual motor.
Tesla has 259 on the front and rear (non performance model), should that mean the # should be ~500hp? I just want to make sure it's as accurate of a comparison as I have information for.

I thought the Federal Incentive on the Tesla was down to $1875 through the end of the year when it phases out completely?
I thought so too. Then I went off of what they had on their website as of 10/17?? I wonder if they are including potential state incentives which is a bit shady IMO as there are none in Ohio so it wouldn't apply for me and many others...
Rivian R1T R1S R1S vs. Similar ICE class vehicles (Ex. Yukon) upload_2019-10-17_8-43-49

Sponsored

Joel

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo
But depending on how you file you taxes you might not get the federal.

OP
OP
SlaterGS

SlaterGS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

But depending on how you file you taxes you might not get the federal.
True.
When I got my Leaf my electric company had a $3500 discount same as cash, then $7500 federal incentive. Worked out really well for me.
For some reason my electric company only had that incentive on Leaf's. I'm guessing Nissan partnered with them?

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
I thought so too. Then I went off of what they had on their website as of 10/17?? I wonder if they are including potential state incentives which is a bit shady IMO as there are none in Ohio so it wouldn't apply for me and many others...
Interesting, this is what I see on their web site right now which looks correct:

Rivian R1T R1S R1S vs. Similar ICE class vehicles (Ex. Yukon) tesla

Probably a bug in their web site.

OP
OP
SlaterGS

SlaterGS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

Interesting, this is what I see on their web site right now which looks correct:

Probably a bug in their web site.
Looks fixed now for me too. I'll update it tomorrow!

timf

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

Tesla's site is supposed to detect what state you're in and show the incentives that apply. Sometimes if it can't detect the state, it defaults to California and you see the extra incentives.
Sponsored