Sponsored

R1S vs. Similar ICE class vehicles (Ex. Yukon)

Marko-ER

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None
Occupation
none-of-your business
I think between Sub, MKG3 and Swilly I am warming up to the idea.

I think you are right, nothing on the market right now quite meets the standards of Rivian. It was reinforced this weekend where I went up to a cabin with family with a rented Toyota Tundra TRD and still had trouble with dirt roads and very muddy/slushy snow.

That being said, 70K+ for a vehicle, not to mention quad motor system/air suspension etc. seems like overkill. And in terms of what other people have raised -- using a vehicle as a donation, here's how I look at it:
(1) With a price hike, and perhaps more on the horizon with the inflationary environment we live in, I view my reservation as an already appreciated asset, akin to a stock I purchased with a cost basis at a steady 20% below current values. I can donate said stock (or vehicle) to charity and enjoy the full current value writeoff. Again, this is how it works: transfer vehicle to charity -- who puts it up for auction, and presumably get a cost+ for what then current price happens to be. For example: if pre-price hike Rivian costs 70K, post price hike for same configuration is 96K, they get 100K. I can write off 96K, and whoever purchases the vehicle at 100K can write off 4K as a deduction, if he/she itemizes.
(2) So as a backup option and if my thinking is correct and current inflationary pressures continue, I think I would be more than happy with a base (2 engine) version of Rivian, so I am planning to put a second reservation at a current base version of Rivian R1S. Hopefully the tech including battery tech and service continue to improve, and I am in absolutely no rush to take delivery myself.
(3) I looked at the Vietnamese company 7 seater (Vinfast VF9) and the previews for 7 seater from Hyundai (Ioniq 7?), and neither sounds interesting or appealing to me. Ford Bronco, if Ford got its act together and gets a hybrid or plug-in hybrid might sound better.

Lots of other variables.

PS: Anyone buying more Rivian stock with recent dip?
Sponsored

BigNerd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Model Y SR, 22 Leaf, 22 Chevy Silverado
I used to think when the prices first came out, that Rivians were overpriced.

But know that I've been shopping full-size trucks and SUVs (all ICE because there is no other big SUV than the X), I've come to realize that the R1S is priced well... even with the hikes.

A nicely equipped SUV with the same features as a base R1S is probably going to run you $50k-$70k (and that's just the mid-size ones)... so even without the Fed credit, the R1S compares.

My only problem is you can't get one even within a year (if you reserve now), and who knows what else will be out by 23-24?

I used to want an EV truck, but I think medium/big SUV suits me more.

the long way downunder

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Occupation
WFH
The R1 was modeled on the Range Rover, so that's in the comparison in my estimation. The Cayenne and Audi, maybe Volvo for some markets, certainly the R1T is the alternative to the R1S, and the Model X for feature-function-benefit of equivalent EV and price reference in the niche market of luxury EVs. Maybe add the Hummer EV and its SUV just for amusement.

I'd say R1S buyers are also looking at the mainstream marques: Silverado EV, Lightning and throw Cybertruck in there, and no doubt have deposits on all five. Until we know anything about the Cybertruck, the EVlanche is the most technologically sophisticated.

My only misgiving with the R1T is whether I should seriously keep a fun weekender that I can sell for a $50K gain. Would I pay the $130K or so that seems to be the market today – no. So should I keep it at that price? Inertia and procrastination are making the decision for me. The honeymoon continues. : )

R1Sky Business

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

I used to think when the prices first came out, that Rivians were overpriced.

But know that I've been shopping full-size trucks and SUVs (all ICE because there is no other big SUV than the X), I've come to realize that the R1S is priced well... even with the hikes.

A nicely equipped SUV with the same features as a base R1S is probably going to run you $50k-$70k (and that's just the mid-size ones)... so even without the Fed credit, the R1S compares.

My only problem is you can't get one even within a year (if you reserve now), and who knows what else will be out by 23-24?

I used to want an EV truck, but I think medium/big SUV suits me more.
Get both

Allegedly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Land Rover Defender, '22 Ford Bronco, '22 Tayc
To me, the closest ICE competitor has yet to be mentioned here.

I currently own a '22 Defender 110 and have a pre-order for the R1S for the wife. Rivian took too long so she just got a Taycan, our first EV, and we both love it.

Comparing the R1S with a Defender, they are roughly the same size, and price. Both are extremely capable off-road.

Rivian wins in 0-60 (duh) but the i6 Defender has 400hp/400 ft-lb torque. It's twin-turbo with a mild hybrid supercharger. Not slow and has an optional V8.

Fit, finish, and overall build quality looks consistently better on the Land Rover.

Defender has 2 or 3 row config. Rivian locks me into wasting space on a 3rd row.

Looks are subjective. The Rivian exterior does nothing for me and the front looks awkward although it looks much better in person. I've been looking at it for so long, it's starting to look dated already. Idk if "bland" is the word but, if I didn't know what it was, I wouldn't have looked twice when I first saw it on the road. The previous comment about dropping kids off and having other kids notice... nothing to worry about there. I consider the new Defender to be drastically better looking and I know that's a controversial opinion even outside of Rivian circles. Like I said, subjective.

Rivian interior looks nice but so does the Land Rover.

The Defender is dead quiet inside and I expect the same from the Rivian.

Tech in the Defender is excellent and, again, expecting the same.

Driving comparison? I'm still in line for the R1S. They're bringing an R1T to my house in a couple weeks for a test drive. I'm not expecting it to drive like the Porsche but am expecting a better on-road EV experience from the Rivian with the lower center of gravity. We'll see.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Picard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, X5 45E
Driving comparison? I'm still in line for the R1S. They're bringing one to my house in a couple weeks for a test drive.
Are you signed up for a mobile test drive on an R1S or R1T? If its R1S, you are the first one that I have heard getting this invite.

Allegedly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Land Rover Defender, '22 Ford Bronco, '22 Tayc
Are you signed up for a mobile test drive on an R1S or R1T? If its R1S, you are the first one that I have heard getting this invite.
R1T. Sorry, I really wasn't clear on that one.

Max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Truck

Bigeasy70075

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Tundra, Wrangler
Will be interesting to see what the Kia EV9 will bring to the table when it goes on sale 2H 2023.

rraj2k81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Tesla Model S LR
I like the BMW X5 45e as an ICE alternative to the R1S, and well spec'd it comes in in the same price range as the R1S.

I am personally not in the market for a three row, 7 passenger full size SUV. I prefer vehicles like the X3 M40 or the Genesis GV7. So, the R1S is not my ideal vehicle type, but I like the value of the R1S.

The new Jeep Grand Cherokee 4xe looks good too.

Sponsored

RBR1S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S preorder holder; '14 JGC,'20 Subaru Crosstrek
Curiously missing Jeep. You might want to include Grand Cherokee, Grand Cherokee L, and Wagoneer/Grand Wagoneer.

I believe the L is about the same size wise as the R1S, and the both Wagoneer are as big or bigger. Also, the Grand Wagoneer price wise is has a similar starting (88k per jeep page) and can easily go 6 figures.

As a Grand Cherokee driver currently, I can't wait for my R1S to take over the driveway.