Sponsored

RBR1S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S preorder holder; '14 JGC,'20 Subaru Crosstrek
Just me or did the hummer sound weird? WAY noisier than I expected it to be inside.

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
Just me or did the hummer sound weird? WAY noisier than I expected it to be inside.
WTF mode pipes in artifical noise.

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Question I had. Does turning off traction control really lead to a better launch in the Rivian? I wouldn't think so but I guess drag racing isn't my expertise.

RivianBowerbird

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Question I had. Does turning off traction control really lead to a better launch in the Rivian? I wouldn't think so but I guess drag racing isn't my expertise.
It would not based on my experience. The TFL guys are all quite smooth brained and have no clue about many things. I'm going to guess that they don't know that Rivians have a launch mode built in. Sport mode> step on the brake, floor it, release brake.

Sponsored

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
It would not based on my experience. The TFL guys are all quite smooth brained and have no clue about many things. I'm going to guess that they don't know that Rivians have a launch mode built in. Sport mode> step on the brake, floor it, release brake.
Part of that procedure is also to put it in lowest ride height and reduced traction/stability control.

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Part of that procedure is also to put it in lowest ride height and reduced traction/stability control.
Of note in the video he turns stability off not reduced. I hadn’t seen that reduced was part of a winning strategy.

I’d be curious to see 0-60 and 1/4 mile times with some of these different ‘strategies’

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Are you certain about the reduced traction thing?
Yep. Heard that from multiple Rivian engineers and employees. But this recommendation is based on near ideal environmental conditions and will need to change based on conditions differing from ideal.
Of note in the video he turns stability off not reduced. I hadn’t seen that reduced was part of a winning strategy.

I’d be curious to see 0-60 and 1/4 mile times with some of these different ‘strategies’
Agreed. I've not seen a direct apples-to-apples comparison between the two.

RBR1S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S preorder holder; '14 JGC,'20 Subaru Crosstrek
WTF mode pipes in artifical noise.
Oh, weird.

I will never understand that. One of my goals with EV is to have a little noise inside and outside as possible. What is wrong with people who want all this noise....

Sponsored

Inkedsphynx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 LE R1T, '21 CB500FA, '21 CMX1100A
Turning traction control off will likely lead to better launches because the traction control will cut power to a slipping wheel, but when trying to launch as hard as possible, the slipping is probably not enough to outweigh the power cut. Anecdotally I feel like I launch harder with traction control off as well.

Sully151

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Jeep JkU
Occupation
Theater arts
The TFL guys probably knew about the Rivian Launch Mode, but chose not to use it to give the Hummer a better chance. They also didn’t talk about how long it takes to get WTF mode ready, or how, I think, it can only be used so many times. They seem to do a lot to try and make sure Rivian loses.

Madsen203

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y
Occupation
Manager
The TFL guys probably knew about the Rivian Launch Mode, but chose not to use it to give the Hummer a better chance. They also didn’t talk about how long it takes to get WTF mode ready, or how, I think, it can only be used so many times. They seem to do a lot to try and make sure Rivian loses.
Follow the money. They always favor GM over many of the other brands.

RivianBowerbird

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Oh, weird.

I will never understand that. One of my goals with EV is to have a little noise inside and outside as possible. What is wrong with people who want all this noise....
I drove a BMW i4 M50 over the weekend and the fake sounds were absolutely terrible. It sounded kind of like an engine and shattered what could have been a serene experience. I have no idea if they can be turned off, but what hubris...

fotoflux

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Onewheel
I watched the video for the fun factor, not because 0.5 seconds off the rated 0-60 would affect my purchase decision. I am literally going to try to match the 0-60 speed probably 10 times over the lifetime of the vehicle, 8 of those times probably within the first month of ownership.

60-0 is a great indication of real-world crash avoidance capability though. Lots of idiots and deer out there. I will be glad that this car can break hard when a deer pops up or a kid kicks their ball in the street and starts running after it.
Sponsored