First Name
Loc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911 Turbo S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo Coupe
Occupation
Retired
Did they release the specs on it already? I haven't seen anything so far. I do agree the Macan EV should be pretty great.
Not formally but it's pretty well covered by most publication, 800-volts architecture, 100kWh battery, 300-kW+ charging rate...

Car and Driver
Motortrend
Sponsored

Last edited:

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
That looks pretty cool. There are no dealers super close to me, maybe it's time for a road trip.
I haven’t seen a 3 yet but there are quite a few 2s in my area and every time I see one I think it’s pretty sharp looking. Not a look that everyone would like though.

OP
OP
Donald Stanfield

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
I haven’t seen a 3 yet but there are quite a few 2s in my area and every time I see one I think it’s pretty sharp looking. Not a look that everyone would like though.
I like the exterior of the Volvo, and I think the polestar looks similar. We just don't like the interior much. The polestar looks cool and the interior looks better.

tgo10000

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
mach e, r1t, r1s
I also have test driven the iX and feel similar to your thoughts, it’s better than the r1s/r1t(ride quality, efficiency, range, build quality, driver assistance) and hard to argue against but Rivian’s are more capable. At early pricing the R1S is significantly less but at current pricing maybe only moderately depending on how you spec each of them. Early pricing aside I love Rivian but I’d probably get the iX. Also depends on how close you are to a Rivian service center…

OP
OP
Donald Stanfield

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Stuff and things
I also have test driven the iX and feel similar to your thoughts, it’s better than the r1s/r1t(ride quality, efficiency, range, build quality, driver assistance) and hard to argue against but Rivian’s are more capable. At early pricing the R1S is significantly less but at current pricing maybe only moderately depending on how you spec each of them. Early pricing aside I love Rivian but I’d probably get the iX. Also depends on how close you are to a Rivian service center…
Service hasn’t been an issue even though I’m a couple hours from a service center. I already have a T so I’m in that whole mess anyway should something arise.

Yeah I no longer have a reservation and the way I’d spec each vehicle makes them cost about the same. It’s going to be up to my wife and whether or not she wants that stronger regen.

Sponsored

manitou202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, Mercedes EQS SUV
We have an EQS SUV and an R1T. We considered the iX but my wife really wanted the 3rd row. We also came from a Model X so I have experience with all of them.

The EQS is much more luxury and comfort than any of the other options. It is in a league of its own if you want the smoothest and most luxurious EV out there. The iX is typical BMW and drives like a sporty SUV. It is fairly luxurious but the ride isn't as nice as the EQS. I would only buy the Model X for the charging network. Ours felt very cheap and had a rough ride and rattles compared to the iX or EQS.

The R1S is probably closer to the Model X in terms of a rougher/louder ride but is obviously a very capable SUV. If we didn't own the R1T then we would have purchased the R1S.

You can't go wrong with either the iX or EQS. They both get excellent range, charge faster than the R1 platform, no vampire drain, and have excellent dealer networks.

Edit: I should mention the EQS has one of the best Level 2 driving systems on the market. Easily as good as enhanced autopilot with lane changing and excellent graphics. It also has one of the best navigation and route planning systems in an EV. So with its smooth quiet ride, massaging seats, excellent level 2 driving and route planning, it might be one of the best road trip EVs.

tgo10000

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
mach e, r1t, r1s
Service hasn’t been an issue even though I’m a couple hours from a service center. I already have a T so I’m in that whole mess anyway should something arise.

Yeah I no longer have a reservation and the way I’d spec each vehicle makes them cost about the same. It’s going to be up to my wife and whether or not she wants that stronger regen.
I’m 3 hours from a service center(also have a R1T) so mildly concerned to deal with two vehicles(R1S preorder) but it’s not like traditional dealers are less painful to deal with. I think I’d rather drive than deal with the stealership circus show. For me probably would come down to value and if you need a 3rd row not sure you can go wrong, 🤞

Also I definitely prefer stronger regen after driving EVs for a few years

Zybane

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Raptor 37
Occupation
Military Pilot
We have an EQS SUV and an R1T. We considered the iX but my wife really wanted the 3rd row. We also came from a Model X so I have experience with all of them.

The EQS is much more luxury and comfort than any of the other options. It is in a league of its own if you want the smoothest and most luxurious EV out there. The iX is typical BMW and drives like a sporty SUV. It is fairly luxurious but the ride isn't as nice as the EQS. I would only buy the Model X for the charging network. Ours felt very cheap and had a rough ride and rattles compared to the iX or EQS.

The R1S is probably closer to the Model X in terms of a rougher/louder ride but is obviously a very capable SUV. If we didn't own the R1T then we would have purchased the R1S.

You can't go wrong with either the iX or EQS. They both get excellent range, charge faster than the R1 platform, no vampire drain, and have excellent dealer networks.

Edit: I should mention the EQS has one of the best Level 2 driving systems on the market. Easily as good as enhanced autopilot with lane changing and excellent graphics. It also has one of the best navigation and route planning systems in an EV. So with its smooth quiet ride, massaging seats, excellent level 2 driving and route planning, it might be one of the best road trip EVs.
Seems you really like the EQS. It's gotten some bad reviews, example: throttle house absolutely hates it.

manitou202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, Mercedes EQS SUV
Seems you really like the EQS. It's gotten some bad reviews, example: throttle house absolutely hates it.
Not surprised Throttle House hates it. It is polar opposite of the kind of vehicle they would like.

Two problems I see with most of the reviews. First they don't spend enough time with it to learn all of the features and tech. Second, it is relatively boring, so it doesn't make for great headlines. No falcon wing doors, no 0-60 in 3.5 seconds, etc.

Overall it's a really nice luxurious EV that isn't trying to be sporty or flashy, but it just an extremely solid and comfortable ride. I don't think any other EV on the market comes close in these qualities. But it's definitely not for everyone. I prefer our R1T but my wife absolutely loves the EQS. It's her speed.

BronxBomber

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S LE, 2022 Ford Mustang Mach-E
Occupation
Talent Executive
Okay so next year will be 3 years on our '21 Audi SQ5 Sportback prestige which means it's gotta go. I mean it doesn't HAVE to, but we usually trade cars every 3ish years. My R1T has won me over to BEV's. EVs are cheaper to run, the instant torque is really nice and since I have a place to park and plenty of electrical panel space in my house, I have a 400 amp service, EVs are practical to charge.

We would like to stick with an SUV and as this is my wife's car there is no way I'm going to convince her to downgrade in quality from what she already drives. We test drove the iX and we both really like it. We sat in the Volvo XC40 recharge but while I liked the outside, the interior reminded me more of a Subaru than a luxury car. We test drove the Audi Q4 and that car seemed like a downgrade from what we have now. Granted trim level didn't match our Prestige but the whole thing just felt cheap inside.

We sat in the Mercedes EQS and while we didn't drive it, we still might, it reminded me of something out of a 60's movie about the future more than a car I would want to drive. It was unnecessarily futuristic to the point of being strange looking. I mean it was comfortable and roomy but I was expecting the computer to say "I'm sorry I can't do that Donald" 2001 a Space Odyssey style.

I have had my T since September and in my view it's the only thing even comparable to the iX. The problem is my wife says she doesn't care for the overly boxy look of the S. I'm going to have her start driving my T when we go out places. I want her to get a feel for the drive, because if she says it's something she's willing to consider I will see if I can arrange a test drive for her at a service center. I'll go 3 hours out of the way and make a day trip out of it for her. Are there any other vehicles to the same standard that I'm missing? I think the model X maybe?

I almost wish I never went to the premium class of cars because I'm turning into a real picky bitch. Also, price range I'm looking is under 120.
Just here to say, and I probably speak for most of us on this forum, that I’m certainly a picky, male bitch 😂🫡

Sponsored

Rugbym8t

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram TRX
I would say take another look at the New Tesla Model X. I had a 2020 and then went to the refreshed and wasn't expecting much of a difference. I made the jump in the craY resale pricing days. But It was like a redesigned car. So much quieter and nicer driving and tight. My 2020 Model X never felt that well made, but my 2022 Model X Plaid was great. The price cuts now bring the Model X to the same price or lower than the competition. It's a compelling option. So much so, that I am thinking of going back and getting another Model X Plaid (I sold my last one right before the drastic price cuts! :). It's not going to have as nice of an interior as the BMW iX, but the build quality has gotten a ton better than older Tesla models!

With the new model pricing, the R1S is facing some stiff competition. Where it wins is being an electric 4Runner. If that's what you want then it's great. But I am a bit worried about Rivian at this pricing, as all the legacy manufacturers are making great options, & Tesla is putting price pressure on everyone.

Friscorays

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
G35, V8 Vantage, 4C, F type
"The BMW iX is Only Guilty of 1 Sin!" Spoiler: "Being ugly."

OP
OP
Donald Stanfield

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Stuff and things
Yeah I didn't think it was that bad but I can totally understand where it gets people saying that. It's not Cybertruck levels of ugly but it's certainly out there.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
This is what I love about his videos. All I really needed to see was the title and the look on his face :CWL:

Also, he’s right - that new BMW front distracts from otherwise great vehicles.

bgoldber88

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1T LE, 2021 BMW X3 PHEV
Occupation
Engineer
I almost wish I never went to the premium class of cars because I'm turning into a real picky bitch. Also, price range I'm looking is under 120.
God I know that feeling. I used to think my 2011 Prius was a great car.
Sponsored