First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
Okay so next year will be 3 years on our '21 Audi SQ5 Sportback prestige which means it's gotta go. I mean it doesn't HAVE to, but we usually trade cars every 3ish years. My R1T has won me over to BEV's. EVs are cheaper to run, the instant torque is really nice and since I have a place to park and plenty of electrical panel space in my house, I have a 400 amp service, EVs are practical to charge.

We would like to stick with an SUV and as this is my wife's car there is no way I'm going to convince her to downgrade in quality from what she already drives. We test drove the iX and we both really like it. We sat in the Volvo XC40 recharge but while I liked the outside, the interior reminded me more of a Subaru than a luxury car. We test drove the Audi Q4 and that car seemed like a downgrade from what we have now. Granted trim level didn't match our Prestige but the whole thing just felt cheap inside.

We sat in the Mercedes EQS and while we didn't drive it, we still might, it reminded me of something out of a 60's movie about the future more than a car I would want to drive. It was unnecessarily futuristic to the point of being strange looking. I mean it was comfortable and roomy but I was expecting the computer to say "I'm sorry I can't do that Donald" 2001 a Space Odyssey style.

I have had my T since September and in my view it's the only thing even comparable to the iX. The problem is my wife says she doesn't care for the overly boxy look of the S. I'm going to have her start driving my T when we go out places. I want her to get a feel for the drive, because if she says it's something she's willing to consider I will see if I can arrange a test drive for her at a service center. I'll go 3 hours out of the way and make a day trip out of it for her. Are there any other vehicles to the same standard that I'm missing? I think the model X maybe?

I almost wish I never went to the premium class of cars because I'm turning into a real picky bitch. Also, price range I'm looking is under 120.
Sponsored

gearcritic

First Name
Kelvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T preorder
You could look into BMW iX. i hear they’re really nice and handle really well, but the looks are meh but that’s always subjective.

OP
OP
Donald Stanfield

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Stuff and things
You could look into BMW iX. i hear they’re really nice and handle really well, but the looks are meh but that’s always subjective.
Yeah we test drove the iX and it's my wife's current front runner. I like the looks of the R1S better personally, but my wife likes the looks of the BMW more. Interior wise the BMW might edge out the Rivian even for me though. Either way they are both really nice cars and I don't think you could go wrong with either.

cpd1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T RB/OC/20
We picked up our iX last May, it is a great car. Wife loves it, range is excellent, easy 325 mls at normal highway speed in decent weather. Fit and finish really good and super quiet.
I like our R1T but on road manners are in a class or 2 below vs iX.
Lastly, iX has been faultless, no vampire drain to speak of and no real bug. Got first OTA upgrade this week, previously was visit or service but clearly not a mission like Rivian SC.

Sponsored

McMoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 Performance
The iX is the best option or what about EQE? Could wait for the refreshed E-Tron Q8 next year, or Volvo EX90, or Kia EV9 (will be very boxy). The Mazda CX90 PHEV will be very nice too and should cover most driving on electric.

Tim-in-CA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
🌲🌲R1S, Lucid Air, T-Bird
If you need the vehicle soon, EQS and iX are your only options for something luxury. I suggest you and your wife drive both

Jac

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Volvo XC40, Honda VFR1200X
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

Polestar 3?

ravian

First Name
Debarshi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Sienna
The ix is a 5 seater, not 7 so in a different size class from the R1S

windblowlc

First Name
Loc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911 Turbo S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo Coupe
Occupation
Retired
The Porsche Macan EV will be released some time in 2024 with 600 hp, 735 lb-ft of torque, air suspension, and rear wheel steering. It'll be worth waiting for.

Sponsored

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
If she doesn’t like the R1S, maybe she would like the Polestar 3?

JPC

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S Limestone - Forest Edge - 21"
If you were open to the XC40 then you may want to check out the Lyriq. Those were the two we narrowed it down to for my wife's car. The XC40 was very nice and actually a blast to drive, small and very quick. Too small, though, for our family. And you're right that the interior is nice but not luxury. The Lyriq is a bit bigger than an X5, so two-row but very spacious. The interior really impressed us, even for the the debut edition that doesn't come with real leather (which we don't want anyway). The drive is very comfortable and smooth, super quiet. The RWD is plenty of power for my wife, though if AWD were available for another 3k we'd gladly make that deal.

Haven't driven one yet but the iX definitely seems like a tier above the Lyriq, with the EQS obviously costing a fortune and may even a notch above that. It could be worth a look though if you can find a dealer with a cancelled preorder!

OP
OP
Donald Stanfield

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Stuff and things
The Porsche Macan EV will be released some time in 2024 with 600 hp, 735 lb-ft of torque, air suspension, and rear wheel steering. It'll be worth waiting for.
Did they release the specs on it already? I haven't seen anything so far. I do agree the Macan EV should be pretty great.

OP
OP
Donald Stanfield

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Stuff and things
If you were open to the XC40 then you may want to check out the Lyriq. Those were the two we narrowed it down to for my wife's car. The XC40 was very nice and actually a blast to drive, small and very quick. Too small, though, for our family. And you're right that the interior is nice but not luxury. The Lyriq is a bit bigger than an X5, so two-row but very spacious. The interior really impressed us, even for the the debut edition that doesn't come with real leather (which we don't want anyway). The drive is very comfortable and smooth, super quiet. The RWD is plenty of power for my wife, though if AWD were available for another 3k we'd gladly make that deal.

Haven't driven one yet but the iX definitely seems like a tier above the Lyriq, with the EQS obviously costing a fortune and may even a notch above that. It could be worth a look though if you can find a dealer with a cancelled preorder!
Yeah the Lyriq is on the list assuming we can find one to look at.

OP
OP
Donald Stanfield

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Stuff and things
If she doesn’t like the R1S, maybe she would like the Polestar 3?
That looks pretty cool. There are no dealers super close to me, maybe it's time for a road trip.
Sponsored