R1S test drive - My honest opinion

shamoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911 GT3, Tesla Model S LR
Occupation
Cybersecurity
I was lucky enough to be invited to an R1S test drive last week at my local Costa Mesa, California center. I typically never test drive any vehicles I'm interested in since I research specs, "quirks and features", and other things quite extensively. The quality of the ride itself never matter to me since I'm used to sports cars. I typically prefer a harder/harsher ride vs. a floaty/comfy one. But hey, I had some time, so why not try out the Rivian. Plus I have limited experience with EVs (my first EV is a 2022 Tesla Model S which I received only a few weeks ago). I do have a couple of friends who work at Rivian and I've been driven around in a couple of R1Ts (but never drove myself).

Outside of the Venice, CA hub invite to check out the R1S several months ago and a few sightings around my area, this is my only experience with the R1S.

I'm an enthusiast, in my 40s, and owned multiple types of fun vehicles over the years. I recently sold my BMW X5M which I would say *should* be the closest competitor I've owned to the R1S (with the exception of its non-existing offroad capability). It was fast (~570hp, twin turbo V8, etc). Despite its heavy weight, it handled like a sports car if you were willing to bring it to its limits. Other ones I've experienced (but not owned) are Audi RSQ5, multiple variants AMG SUVs, and the Range Rover SVR. They all have similar driving dynamics...but far different than the Rivian as you'll read below.

My main reason for interest in the Rivian is I want an SUV (room for family/dog/storage) and I want power. For the first time, the option for off-road is possible whereas it was never possible in the past for high horsepower luxury/sport SUVs. Their large brakes do not allow for beefy tires.

Picture first. Nothing too exciting at this point since they are showing up on public roads now. We've all seen these before. Launch green with 22" black wheels.

Rivian R1T R1S R1S test drive - My honest opinion ACFAFADB-23BE-47A3-8053-31783F27943F

Short summary: I was not impressed with the driving dynamics, but great tech, looks great, and use of space is amazing.

Long summary...

With the Rivian's 4 motors, ~835hp, and an advertised 3 second 0-60mph sprint, I was expecting the driving dynamics to be similar to a performance SUV, or dare I say it, a heavy sports sedan/wagon (think M5, E63 S Wagon, etc). Getting in, the guide had me in All Purpose Mode, which significantly toned down the throttle response and suspension. Okay, I get it, it isn't Sport mode. The Rivian was VERY floaty in the up/down direction but surprisingly flat on turns. Staying flat from side to side for such a heavy vehicle was great, but the up/down movement was pretty crazy. It was almost as "bad" as a Jeep Wrangler. Power wise in All Purpose Mode was very smooth, but in no way felt very quick and definitely did not feel like 835hp. Granted it is ~7200lbs but my X5M was 5400lbs and ~570hp and it felt significantly faster and more violent while the pure numbers should make it slower than the Rivian.

I mentioned this to the guide and he moved me to Sport and the throttle immediately got more sensitive and the up/down movement toned down a lot (but it was still noticeably present). It accelerated marginally faster, but for some reason felt very slow. This was while merging onto freeways relative to other vehicles. For someone who drives all his vehicles in "sport mode" 24/7, I'm concerned my real world usage is the 220mile range (assuming you charge to ~75%). As soon as the guide moved me to Sport, the range number dropped ~35 miles that I saw. My Model S Long Range gets me ~365miles charged to 85% which is significantly more (and I'm set to "Insane" acceleration mode 24/7). Yeah yeah its all about efficiency, but this is the metric I'm using now and its been accurate. Will 220ish miles be enough on a day to day basis? Sure but a full day from my place to Los Angeles, exploring, then back home, might use it all up. That happens once every couple of weeks.

So I guess I was disappointed it wasn't as fast as I expected. It SHOULD be faster than my X5M on paper, but is it really? It doesn't seem so accelerating next to other vehicles on the road. Speed/power is on the top of my list, which is probably different than other peoples' priority. I understand larger/heavier vehicles may not feel fast when they actually are. But with my years of experience on track, sports cars/SUVs, I'd say I'm a pretty good judge of performance.

I still love the look and the tech. The use of space and available storage is amazing. I could sit in the 3rd row (I'm 5'9"ish) and have plenty of room. For the price I would pay (~$80K) I think it is still a great deal. I don't know about current pricing. Will I take delivery? Most likely. Will I keep it and sell the Tesla? I don't know. Will I keep both? I don't know. I'd like to keep both (if my wife will allow it :p), I just don't know if I'm willing yet to have the R1S as my only daily driver/family hauler. We have a company Hyundai Accent which my wife drives to work (I work for them in the Cybsersecurity space) and a weekend sports car that only gets driven ~2K miles a year.

Doug Demuro rated it as one of the best vehicles to date and I agree. I guess I place too much emphasis on power/speed even if it isn't the purpose of the vehicle. It is more about being a versatile EV. But with 4 motors and over 800hp, is it wrong of me to expect more?

Maybe a ME problem. :p

Anyway, wanted to present my thoughts to the forum. I'm ready for the backlash. :p
Sponsored

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
You lost me at "felt slow"

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Did you actually floor it? The Rivian does have kind of a long pedal calibration, even in sport mode. As for efficiency in Sport mode, it will all depend on how you drive it. The act of changing modes doesn't do much to actual consumption so much as your right foot will. I drive my MINI 100% in Sport mode now and get the same efficiency numbers I did when I drove it in Green/economy mode unless I'm having fun in the canyons. And even then the regen coming back down more than makes up for my antics on the way up.

I will agree, in part, that the suspension tuning leaves something to be desired. I still think they are undersprung at lower ride heights, which can't really be fixed by damping adjustments either.

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

The lack of sound may make it feel slow but I can assure you it handles way below its weight class and accelerates faster than a X5M. With that being said if your butt baseline is a Porsche GT3 you will have a hard time with ALL cars lol.

Sponsored

jffkm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
model 3
Appreciate the honest review. I felt the same "wait a second" response after driving the R1T in first mile tests I have a M3D and felt that the R1T was slower due to throttle mapping (i.e. you have to mash the pedal to the floor to access any power whereas the M3 requires just a few mm of travel. The specs suggest it should trounce the M3D but it really didn't feel like it. Otherwise, I agree with the floaty/bouncy feel of the car. I'm comparing apples to oranges I know, but was hoping the experience would be closer to sports-car and less "floating boat". The only other SUV I've driven a lot is an MDX Type-S which is super fun. Will def take delivery (barring an major issues with the car) and keep both the M3D and R1S, but I was originally going to drop the M3D entirely and decided against doing that after driving both.

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
I have a T not an S but I don't really get felt slow out of mine. It doesn't handle like a track car but the acceleration is there. I will agree with the float in all purpose with a minor level of float in sport. It's heavy and I give it a pass being a pickup truck. It's the most planted feeling pickup I've ever driven but it's still a pickup.

I've never driven the R1S so idk how that feels in relation to my T but launching mine always feels impressive to me. I might get where you're coming from though, and it's more the "experience" that makes it feel that way. It's stupid fast, but it doesn't whine, doesn't spin tires, there's no engine to ramp up, no turbos to dump waste boost and no gears to shift. It just goes and that's the major difference between it an the ICE sports cars I've driven.

So you have the speed but not the theatre of it all. Maybe that's where your feeling is coming from?

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
You almost need to think of the Rivian as it's own separate category since it's built to be a performance vehicle on road and an adventure vehicle on the trails.

If you want to say it's a jack of all trades, master of none, that's fair... but it's a pretty amazing jack. Not too many vehicles can pull that off.

OP
OP
shamoo

shamoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911 GT3, Tesla Model S LR
Occupation
Cybersecurity
Appreciate all the comments!

Will try to respond to each one after more come in.

cohall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Rivians are many things, but slow isn't one of them.

Genuinely wondering if there was an issue with the vehicle you drove, or the long travel of the go-pedal threw you off a bit.

Of course, I don't have a GT3 to compare it to - which I'm sure changes your perspective on "fast" a bit.

Sponsored

Inkedsphynx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 LE R1T, '21 CB500FA, '21 CMX1100A
I'm with everyone else. My T is insanely quick (not sure I'll call it fast with a limiter just over 110mph). I have yet to run into anyone on the streets that could take me off the line at a stop light (Yes, I know, I shouldn't do this on surface streets). Most everyone I've come up against I've walked so badly I've wanted to throw a collar out the window for them to stop and pick up.

I've not driven a LOT of really quick/fast cars, but I've never been in anything that punches it like my T does. At 7k lbs no less. It feels every bit as quick to me as I'd expect based on the specs. The only things out there quicker are supercars and motorcycles (I doubt either of my bikes could take my T in the 1/4 mile. Neither are particularly quick for motorcycles.)

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
I'm with everyone else. My T is insanely quick (not sure I'll call it fast with a limiter just over 110mph). I have yet to run into anyone on the streets that could take me off the line at a stop light (Yes, I know, I shouldn't do this on surface streets). Most everyone I've come up against I've walked so badly I've wanted to throw a collar out the window for them to stop and pick up.

I've not driven a LOT of really quick/fast cars, but I've never been in anything that punches it like my T does. At 7k lbs no less. It feels every bit as quick to me as I'd expect based on the specs. The only things out there quicker are supercars and motorcycles (I doubt either of my bikes could take my T in the 1/4 mile. Neither are particularly quick for motorcycles.)
Yeah I just looked it up my new Harley Pan America can't take my 7K lb pickup truck in the 1/4 lol.

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
He probably forgot to turn off stability control/traction limiting in the drivers screen.
I don’t think I’ve ever done that myself. 😆

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Rivians are many things, but slow isn't one of them.

Genuinely wondering if there was an issue with the vehicle you drove, or the long travel of the go-pedal threw you off a bit.

Of course, I don't have a GT3 to compare it to - which I'm sure changes your perspective on "fast" a bit.
Some people find the throttle in the R1's to be too touchy, some find it to be too soft. I don't really understand either viewpoint. Give it the amount of throttle that's needed to make it do what you want to do! The mapping could be better for maneuvering in parking lots, but it's still not bad.

If you're used to driving very fast ICE cars, the linear power delivery in an EV is definitely a different experience. That said, my R1T still launches off the line harder than any other vehicle I've driven, especially on wet pavement.
Sponsored