Sponsored

R1S - Stop using fuzzy fabric/carpet in cargo area - please.

RBR1S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S preorder holder; '14 JGC,'20 Subaru Crosstrek
So, after watching an hour worth of reviews (on 2x) - I'm going to ask one simple thing to Rivian (and all other manufacturers). PLEASE stop using the fuzzy fabric liner (I don't know what it's called, but Rivian has it, my Grand Cherokee has it, everything seems to have it) in the cargo area and the back of seats that fold.

Why -

• It's horrible to clean and keep clean. Dirt gets in it, and stays in it no matter how much you vacuum. Food stains are forever.
  • Pine needles, wood, etc. get into it from your shoes, hiking, (heaven forbid you put a bag of mulch in there and it leaks). Yes, its dark, but red cedar mulch and you'll see every fiber.
  • It wears out, looking fuzzy and ragged very quickly.
  • Pet hair - a white dog on black fuzz = hopelessly there forever.

Yes we can buy a liner from a 3rd party, but if you argue that, at least provide your own. 3rd party liners often don't come in the right size to protect the entire cargo area (both rows folded), they only do the rear or with the 3rd row folded. Sure 3rd party nylon liners are available, but they look bad and they don't fit (remember you are buying a $90k vehicle, no $300 liner will look good).

The ask -

Find something else, give us an option for super strong diamond stitch nylon with padding underneath or something that is permanent.
  • Strong, smooth good looking, matching
  • Waterproof
  • Easy to vacuum clean
  • Washable (handwipe off most dirt)
  • Stainproof (ever had a kid spill a milkshake on that fuzzy stuff, forget about it, it's there forever)

And if you got this far and you're wondering what I'm talking about - you can see the fuzz in the back, and even when he looks in the lower section, you can already see sand grains in the brand new cargo area. Forever embedded in fuzzy.

And Even WORSE - this guy climbs in to show you how he fits for sleeping and BOOM - giant muddy footprint, locked in that "carpet fabric".

Sponsored

Last edited:

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
“Carpet” in cars holds up better than plastic does. It also attenuates noise.

you’ll never find cordura or similar used

but there are options.
to your point about 3rd party options not fitting, these are made to measure, and will cover everything.
https://www.canvasback.com/find-your-vehicle

OP
OP
RBR1S

RBR1S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Oh yes, back to the 3rd party options (some of which are decent). But why can't Rivian simply use that instead of covering it with the fuzzy fabric/carpet? And have it padded, you know to help with that noise issue.

Thanks for the link BTW, I'm compiling a list so I can pick the best option when it's time.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Oh yes, back to the 3rd party options (some of which are decent). But why can't Rivian simply use that instead of covering it with the fuzzy fabric/carpet? And have it padded, you know to help with that noise issue.

Thanks for the link BTW, I'm compiling a list so I can pick the best option when it's time.
When I’ve had carpet in cars that’s been really dirty, I’ve had the car detailed, and they’llusally pull the whole carpet out, power wash/shampoo it, and let it dry for several days. Good as new. I’d rather have carpet with a cover on it than just nylon or whatever. I’ve had trucks with vinyl floors and it’s not nice.

I’ve had a canvasback liner in my car for 5+ years. It has held up to everything, camping, dogs, bikes, mulch & soil, car parts, lumber etc etc. zero stains or wear.

they did not have a pattern for my car, but managed to find an example at a nearby dealer to measure.

It was turned around in about two weeks, at a slight discount for being a bit of a Guinea pig. they were great to deal with.

OP
OP
RBR1S

RBR1S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I’ve had a canvasback liner in my car for 5+ years. It has held up to everything, camping, dogs, bikes, mulch & soil, car parts, lumber etc etc. zero stains or wear.

Bingo - and this is exactly what I want - except built in. Even your list. You get me.

Honestly, it's enough that I'm ALMOST ready to just switch over to R1T, so I can pressure wash the back of it clean.

Sponsored

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bingo - and this is exactly what I want - except built in. Even your list. You get me.

Honestly, it's enough that I'm ALMOST ready to just switch over to R1T, so I can pressure wash the back of it clean.
I'd buy it as an accessory. I don't want rubber or cordura floors. Give me a removable/replaceable cover.

You can pressure wash the back of an R1s clean, too. Just....get some dessicant bags.

Gator42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Defender
I’ve discovered a steamer has a never ending list of chores at my house…

Yah, It’s an issue. One more way the R1S is like a Grand Waggoneer…from the 80s…

Defender has a textured hard material that looks like it scratches easily. I wouldn’t know since a rubber cargo mat has always been there…

Last edited:

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Quad Motor R1T (Selling the Xterra)
Clubs

So, after watching an hour worth of reviews (on 2x) - I'm going to ask one simple thing to Rivian (and all other manufacturers). PLEASE stop using the fuzzy fabric liner (I don't know what it's called, but Rivian has it, my Grand Cherokee has it, everything seems to have it) in the cargo area and the back of seats that fold.

Why -

• It's horrible to clean and keep clean. Dirt gets in it, and stays in it no matter how much you vacuum. Food stains are forever.
  • Pine needles, wood, etc. get into it from your shoes, hiking, (heaven forbid you put a bag of mulch in there and it leaks). Yes, its dark, but red cedar mulch and you'll see every fiber.
  • It wears out, looking fuzzy and ragged very quickly.
  • Pet hair - a white dog on black fuzz = hopelessly there forever.

Yes we can buy a liner from a 3rd party, but if you argue that, at least provide your own. 3rd party liners often don't come in the right size to protect the entire cargo area (both rows folded), they only do the rear or with the 3rd row folded. Sure 3rd party nylon liners are available, but they look bad and they don't fit (remember you are buying a $90k vehicle, no $300 liner will look good).

The ask -

Find something else, give us an option for super strong diamond stitch nylon with padding underneath or something that is permanent.
  • Strong, smooth good looking, matching
  • Waterproof
  • Easy to vacuum clean
  • Washable (handwipe off most dirt)
  • Stainproof (ever had a kid spill a milkshake on that fuzzy stuff, forget about it, it's there forever)

And if you got this far and you're wondering what I'm talking about - you can see the fuzz in the back, and even when he looks in the lower section, you can already see sand grains in the brand new cargo area. Forever embedded in fuzzy.

And Even WORSE - this guy climbs in to show you how he fits for sleeping and BOOM - giant muddy footprint, locked in that "carpet fabric".

If only they kept with the original plan... The video should start very close to where they talk about the floor under the mats

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
I still prefer carpet or the fabric to a cheap looking plastic surface. Ideally, it would be a hard plastic surface with factory installed snaps to accept carpet. That’s how it is done in most boats. Take it out, wash it, put it back in.

aw113sgte

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 R1t
Our Xterra did this correctly with the plastic liner. Works great.

Sponsored

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I still prefer carpet or the fabric to a cheap looking plastic surface. Ideally, it would be a hard plastic surface with factory installed snaps to accept carpet. That’s how it is done in most boats. Take it out, wash it, put it back in.
That’s sort of what they’d planned originally as I recall

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Quad Motor R1T (Selling the Xterra)
Clubs

Navian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda Miata, Toyota Matrix XRS, Ford Maverick
On point OP đź‘Ť
My 05 Toyota Matrix has the best cargo space of any car(not truck) I’ve ever owned. I would rather have a hard durable interior with tie downs and an option for carpet or rubber covers from OEM or 3rd party for sound deadening

Rivian R1T R1S R1S  - Stop using fuzzy fabric/carpet in cargo area - please. C09FADFA-2379-4952-86FD-85161644F2FF

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

If it's that big of a worry for you, get the Hummer SUV instead. It doesn't have carpet in the back... or anywhere.

koersontap

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None!
Occupation
Engineer
See, here's the catch though. Most people say they'd rather have carpet over some "cheap plastic". But the funny thing happens, somewhere in the second year, where that carpet starts looking hella cheap. Through a mix of debris that won't come out, sand and grit, and just getting matted. That solid surface though? Looking like the day it was installed.
Sponsored