David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 IONIQ 5, '23 R1S quad, many Deeres
Occupation
grain farmer, ex-Honda factory engineer
Clubs

Correct me if I'm wrong: If I see a Launch Edition in the shop with the $3950 All-Terrain Upgrade package, then I'm seeing a vehicle that was built for the R1 Shop (not an orphan). The All-Terrain Upgrade was not an option back in November 2020 when reservation holders could configure a Launch Edition.

Back in December of last year, RIvian removed the compact spare tire from all unfilled R1S preorders. So a true Launch Edition orphan (configured back in Nov. of 2020) would only have a spare tire if it were built in 2022. True?

All this begs the question: Why is RIvian building Launch Editions to stock the R1 Shop? Do they have a crate full of Launch Edition badges to use up?
Sponsored

EileenB

First Name
Eileen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla YLR, Toyota Tacoma TRD 4WD
Occupation
Educator
Looks like Rivian is really ramping up the R1S deliveriers

Great snag -- definitely a better value option w/ the free wheels.

I'm sure you already know, but spares are supposed be available a la carte in the shop s00n (links to shop product pages: compact spare and full size spare).
So far it still seems vague indicating “summer” which could be still months away and after our trip to Colorado for my son’s wedding at the beginning of June. Fingers crossed it appears in the next couple of weeks so we’re not traveling great distances without a spare.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
I can’t believe they added a $3,950 up charge for “All Terrain” package for R1S Shop vehicles including Launch Edition… another way to get folks to jump the line by paying more. Still waiting on my LE to be made from 6/20 reservation…
What wheels did it have? I thought someone said a few months ago that they changed and Lou the additional shield in as an all terrain package with all terrain tires.

I can see that on the adventure but if it is also on the LE I assume it must be a different 20 inch wheel than the free one.

MidnightRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Infiniti
Clubs

What wheels did it have? I thought someone said a few months ago that they changed and Lou the additional shield in as an all terrain package with all terrain tires.

I can see that on the adventure but if it is also on the LE I assume it must be a different 20 inch wheel than the free one.
They added the all-terrain package to the launch edition as a way to charge for the wheels even though it says included.

Rivian R1T R1S R1S Shop access live with lots of inventory! All Terrain.JPG

Sponsored

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
That looks like a bug, if that is the one you’re interested in I would grab it and talk to your guide to get it corrected.

coaster206

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Pathfinder
Occupation
Business
They added the all-terrain package to the launch edition as a way to charge for the wheels even though it says included.

All Terrain.JPG
Exactly. Launch Editions should have line item +\- for wheels, RUS, spare. The AT wheels were free for LE. By making these “All Terrain Upgrade” bundles in the Shop, they now charge for the AT wheels.

MidnightRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Infiniti
Clubs

That looks like a bug, if that is the one you’re interested in I would grab it and talk to my guide.
Not worth the risk. I will check with the guide tomorrow if they can make any overrides but I am sure they will tell me that I did not qualify for LE pricing when I put my original order in.

Ultimately I would rather wait for my original configuration unless Rivian wants to sweeten the deal with LE pricing / upgrade with the standard 20" all terrains.

The benefit of waiting will be hopefully I can get the small v2 upgrades whatever that ends up being later in the year going into the line. Probably a different camera or something pointless lol.

The main benefit will be a slightly more refined/buttoned up build as ramp up takes place

Sponsored

Southern R1S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S (LE/GW/OC/20"AT), Lexus GX 460 Luxury
Occupation
Builder
I can’t believe they added a $3,950 up charge for “All Terrain” package for R1S Shop vehicles including Launch Edition… another way to get folks to jump the line by paying more. Still waiting on my LE to be made from 6/20 reservation…
Exactly, I’ll wait till September for my configuration instead of getting their $3,950 package.
Yeah, I don't love that. I get it makes sense to build in batches, but if they're going to run LE with the AT Upgrade packages they should still price those items separately on LE to reflect the wheel upgrade discount, at least for LE reservation holders.

Curious if those seeing the add-on pricing had an LE or Adventure reserved - wondering if it is possible they're just showing that pricing for Adventure reservations?

All the LEs configured with 20"AT/RUS/CS in the screenshot a few pages back appear to be priced that way. Very sneaky indeed.

Mygrain

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 IONIQ 5, '23 R1S quad, many Deeres
Occupation
grain farmer, ex-Honda factory engineer
Clubs

Ah, the twists and turns in this thread just keep getting better. A few weeks ago, @Mygrain was denied Shop access -- 4 years after reserving -- because his guide said the Shop invitations were restricted to Launch Edition preorder holders only. Then this week, @R1Serenity (nothing personal) requested Shop access via CS Chat -- 18 months after reserving -- then got access and snagged a Launch Edition that Rivian recently built for the Shop. I love this thread!

oskeei

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Duramax Silverado, French's Mustard Yellow R1S
Clubs

Ah, the twists and turns in this thread just keep getting better. A few weeks ago, @Mygrain was denied Shop access -- 4 years after reserving -- because his guide said the Shop invitations were restricted to Launch Edition preorder holders only. Then this week, @R1Serenity (nothing personal) requested Shop access via CS Chat -- 18 months after reserving -- then got access and snagged a Launch Edition that Rivian recently built for the Shop. I love this thread!
The lesson I learned is Rivian needs to have a standard operating process especially with R1S shop access. It seems you have to get the "right" person to gain access. As soon as I found that person, like the R1, it accelerated VERY quickly.

someallenguy

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

The lesson I learned is Rivian needs to have a standard operating process especially with R1S shop access. It seems you have to get the "right" person to gain access. As soon as I found that person, like the R1, it accelerated VERY quickly.
Completely agree. I wasn't going to do a First Mile drive, but went for it after hearing about the lead list. I did the drive last Saturday and confirmed my configuration yesterday after having a 4Q23 estimate after the last update

Last edited:

R1Sky Business

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

Hurts soooo good
Sponsored