Sponsored

R1S Routine Maintenance

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Range Rover Sport Autobiography 5.0
Exactly. How did you know the fluid was fine? It’s hydroscopic and will absorb moisture over time which can eventually lead to corrosion, brake failure, gas pockets, reduced braking. Brake fluid can look fine and have dangerous levels of water in it. You could think it’s fine until you need your brakes going down a hill and the water boils and all of a sudden your brakes went from fine to not fine.

Everyone should be swapping their brake fluid every 2-3 years, it’s not even that hard to do.
Sponsored

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
You can check brake fluid for moisture with a $10 "brake fluid tester" available at most auto parts stores and online.

Rivian R1T R1S R1S Routine Maintenance 1678722774099

JayinNJ

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, R1S LE Canyon Red
How did you "check" it? Looking at it doesn't tell you the full story. Principal concern would be moisture absorption which would lower the boiling point and could lead to a soft pedal and corrosion inside the braking system.
I used an electronic brake fluid tester. Not sure how great they are though.
Edit: Yup something like shown above.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Range Rover Sport Autobiography 5.0
You can check brake fluid for moisture with a $10 "brake fluid tester" available at most auto parts stores and online.

1678722774099.png
Those things are junk. I’ve tried them before and had results all over the place. Swapping brake fluid costs $20 and could potentially save you from a fatal accident. Skimping on it is utterly stupid in my opinion.

Even if it was perfectly accurate and reliable the fact is, brake fluid doesn’t mix through the brake system like engine coolant or oil. The brake fluid that sits in the reservoir can absorb water at a different rate to the fluid that’s in the caliper where it deals with heat from the brakes. Another reason why testing really doesn’t mean much. Buy a pressure bleeder for $60 and brake fluid for $20, easy to do and keeps your braking system performing optimally.

I don’t take chances when it comes to safety critical components.
Sponsored