prasadtakkar

First Name
Prasad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Rivian R1S LE
Hi Folks,

I wanted to find out if Rivian has published any guidelines on routine maintenance and was unable to find any relevant information within owners manual. I decided to reach out to the guide assigned to us and this was their response:

We are currently collecting information about how vehicles perform on the road and will use that data to publish our recommendations about maintenance service intervals.

For now, though, I recommend the following for maintenance intervals.

• Cabin air filter replacement every two years.
  • Clean and lubricate brake calipers every 15000 miles. I recommend it more frequently if you are dealing with a lot of snow and salt on the road. The great thing is that with regenerative braking, you may never have to replace your brakes for the entire time you own the car.
  • Rotate tires every 6,000 miles. Our vehicles are heavy, so they wear down the tires more quickly.
We will work on publishing our official recommendations in the months to come, and I will reach out to you when I have that information.

Has anyone else here heard or seen any information on this topic?
Sponsored

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

6000 miles on tires conflicts with previous guidance of 7000 or 9000, depending on what SC you ask.

They've never mentioned brake calipers to me in my recent visits with over 15k.

No word on headlight fluid?

BigE

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Honda S2000
Hi Folks,

I wanted to find out if Rivian has published any guidelines on routine maintenance and was unable to find any relevant information within owners manual. I decided to reach out to the guide assigned to us and this was their response:

We are currently collecting information about how vehicles perform on the road and will use that data to publish our recommendations about maintenance service intervals.

For now, though, I recommend the following for maintenance intervals.

• Cabin air filter replacement every two years.
  • Clean and lubricate brake calipers every 15000 miles. I recommend it more frequently if you are dealing with a lot of snow and salt on the road. The great thing is that with regenerative braking, you may never have to replace your brakes for the entire time you own the car.
  • Rotate tires every 6,000 miles. Our vehicles are heavy, so they wear down the tires more quickly.
We will work on publishing our official recommendations in the months to come, and I will reach out to you when I have that information.

Has anyone else here heard or seen any information on this topic?
Since Rivian’s don’t have any type of filter on the pack cooling, say like Tesla do. I would think at some point if you are concerned about keeping your Rivian for a long time, you would want to have a fluid change. Not per Rivian so I guess we’ll see.

Tire Rotation: agree, 6k is a good number unless you’re primarily highway. With the 22’s, I’m not sure I’ll have many rotations. 6k x 4 maybe?

OP
OP
prasadtakkar

prasadtakkar

First Name
Prasad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Rivian R1S LE
6000 miles on tires conflicts with previous guidance of 7000 or 9000, depending on what SC you ask.

NO word on headlight fluid. I guess we wait until Rivian officially publishes guidelines.

grantsi

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 45e, Porsche Cayenne
Since Rivian’s don’t have any type of filter on the pack cooling, say like Tesla do. I would think at some point if you are concerned about keeping your Rivian for a long time, you would want to have a fluid change. Not per Rivian so I guess we’ll see.

Tire Rotation: agree, 6k is a good number unless you’re primarily highway. With the 22’s, I’m not sure I’ll have many rotations. 6k x 4 maybe?
when you say you don't think you'll have many rotations is that because you anticipate them wearing down before a rotation is necessary?

Sponsored

BigE

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Honda S2000
when you say you don't think you'll have many rotations is that because you anticipate them wearing down before a rotation is necessary?
We’re only a couple months and 2,600 miles in with our R1T. We do a lot of in town driving so I’m only anticipating the 22’s will last, maybe 25k miles? So if we rotate every 6k miles it will only be 3 rotation and then a new set of tires. I don’t think I will put our spare into rotation unless I was thinking of going to a different tire.

grantsi

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 45e, Porsche Cayenne
I’ll be taking delivery on Saturday - do about 90 highway miles per day so it will be interesting to see the tire life

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
Great, so we know we need to replace the cabin air filter periodically, where do we get one?

Please do not reply "make an appointment at your local Service Center"..

Count Orlok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1S/ 2024 INEOS Grenadier/ 1969 Ford / etc.
Occupation
retired
I’ll be taking delivery on Saturday - do about 90 highway miles per day so it will be interesting to see the tire life
no pics?

uthatch

First Name
Uri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X Plaid, Model Y, Bronco - sold for R1T
Similar here…96 per day just on my commute.

So far we’ve gotten almost 30k miles on a Model Y with 19’s and it’s looking like maybe 20k on a Model X Plaid with 22’s. The X is a heavy beast so may relate to the R1 more closely, but the 22’s are summer tires and my R1 will be AT’s. So maybe there’s nothing to be gleaned in it all. I do tend to get decent mileage out of tires in general.

All of this is a lot of typing for basically not much pertinent info, sorry.

Sponsored

JayinNJ

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, R1S LE Canyon Red

The miles don't really matter. It is best to just check the tread depth every few months and rotate when needed, such as when 2/32 difference.

HumanGenome

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Check tread wear and then make a decision, there is no golden ticket answer on rotation.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Range Rover Sport Autobiography 5.0
Thought I'd jump into this thread instead of starting a new one.

Definitely need to swap the Brake fluid at the 2 year mark. I always use Bosch ES16-32N as it meets DOT 5.1 which is about as good as you can get and lasts for three years. My guess is Rivian uses DOT 4 which is compatible with DOT 5.1, just worse.

The two questions I have is: What is the cap size for the brake fluid reservoir (I have a power bleeder to make things easy) so I know if I'll need a different sized cap and what size of cabin air filter does the Rivian take?
  • Rotate tires every 6,000 miles
  • Lubricate brakes annually
  • Swap cabin filter annually
  • Swap brake fluid every two years
All easily done at home.

JayinNJ

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, R1S LE Canyon Red
Thought I'd jump into this thread instead of starting a new one.

Definitely need to swap the Brake fluid at the 2 year mark. I always use Bosch ES16-32N as it meets DOT 5.1 which is about as good as you can get and lasts for three years. My guess is Rivian uses DOT 4 which is compatible with DOT 5.1, just worse.

The two questions I have is: What is the cap size for the brake fluid reservoir (I have a power bleeder to make things easy) so I know if I'll need a different sized cap and what size of cabin air filter does the Rivian take?
  • Rotate tires every 6,000 miles
  • Lubricate brakes annually
  • Swap cabin filter annually
  • Swap brake fluid every two years
All easily done at home.
I always hear this, but I don't think I ever have on any cars. I checked by 4 year old Tesla and the fluid was fine.

camaroz1985

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4
Occupation
Engineer
I always hear this, but I don't think I ever have on any cars. I checked by 4 year old Tesla and the fluid was fine.
How did you "check" it? Looking at it doesn't tell you the full story. Principal concern would be moisture absorption which would lower the boiling point and could lead to a soft pedal and corrosion inside the braking system.
Sponsored