Sponsored

R1S roof options: glass, 2-piece removable composite, standard fixed roof

EyeOnRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 4X, Mitsubishi Endeavor. Pre-order: R1S LE
A little more of an official response from Rivian on Twitter albeit still lacking detail.

Sponsored

jimcgov3

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Jacksonville, Florida // Satellite Beach, FL
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model S 75, Rivian R1T Owner
Clubs

A little more of an official response from Rivian on Twitter albeit still lacking detail.

They mention that in their "NEW" FAQ in their website. If you haven't checked it out yet, I would take a look... There are a couple new details.

OP
OP
EyeOnRivian

EyeOnRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
They mention that in their "NEW" FAQ in their website. If you haven't checked it out yet, I would take a look... There are a couple new details.
Thanks! Ironically, I did see the new FAQ section about week or so ago. I only gleaned it and clearly missed or forgot about the roof options entry. Even though the tweet appears to be a copy-n-pasted from the FAQ, the question posed in the FAQ is not EAV specific unlike the twitter question which is for the SUV.

"What roof options can I expect?
We will offer multiple roof styles including electrochromic glass (which turns from opaque to transparent on demand), a fixed glass panel, a two-piece removable composite roof and a standard fixed roof."

So that begs the question will all the roof options be available for both EAVs? (My post originated in the Thoughts on Glass Roof thread but apparently the forum admin copied it here to create this new thread with "R1S" in title.) Clearly the SUV roof is larger than the pickup. So how will the removable roof work? How is it configured? Where is it stored - within the vehicle or completely removed?

Someone in another forum just asked which roof option would you choose. This was my response:
"...hard to say without knowing more details. Some basic information is lacking.
Are all these options available on both the R1S and R1T? If so, how do they differ? Clearly the R1S roof is larger than the R1T roof.
What's the price for each option (except "standard fixed roof" which I expect to be standard)?
How is the removable roof configured and how will it work? E.g. Does it store itself within the vehicle or does it get left behind? The R1S is a big roof.
Will the fixed glass panel come with a sun screen/shade or will one even be needed?"

Come to think of it, another Rivian reply / tidbit about a feature that unfortunately raises more questions than answers. :facepalm:

Last edited:

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
I will go with one of the glass options if there is a sun screen/shade, unless the cost/value isn't there.

A fixed roof would be just fine with me, and I am worried about the TX heat with either of the glass options.

Edax Rerum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S
My guess is that they won't offer a sun screen/shade because of the electrochromic glass option (user-controlled transparency....well, at least between opaque and transparent--I don't know if there are options to have any middle-of-the-road setting). I wouldn't mind being incorrect with that guess, though.

Sponsored

OP
OP
EyeOnRivian

EyeOnRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
My guess is that they won't offer a sun screen/shade because of the electrochromic glass option (user-controlled transparency....well, at least between opaque and transparent--I don't know if there are options to have any middle-of-the-road setting). I wouldn't mind being incorrect with that guess, though.
Well, you might be. :) From the "Thoughts on Glass Roof" thread where I originally made this post, @skyote had posted the following:

In a FB group, a guy said Rivian told him @ NYIAS that there would be 3 different roof options:

1) Electrochromatic glass with 20 shade/color options.
2) Fixed roof
3) Some sort of removable roof

However, Rivian does not state that on their FAQ webpage, but then again their FAQ webpage lacks many details IMO. So it just may come with 20 shade/color options.

As for not offering a sun screen/shade, yea, I suspect they won't either and will probably rely on the OEM aftermarket to come up with one, but ya never know. It's hard to tell with Rivian at this stage as they really don't release/document much of the feature details to answer our plethora of questions this forum and others come up with. (TIC) :)

DocTwinkie

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Acura RDX, 2014 Volvo XC60
I am disliking all these options. Open sky with wind is my desire but with the ability to block the sun to avoid burning.

Fixed roof. Boring.

Full glass panel. So I can see the sky with zero wind? What’s the point. I’m not looking up when I’m driving.

Electroglass. Just why. Just why. An extremely expensive answer to a simple and effective sunshade and still no wind.

Removable. Finally I get wind but I have to pull over to open and close and have to store the pieces...lame. Also if it rains how waterproof is that interior. You get caught in a downpour you could end up with an inch of water in the car before you get to a safe spot to pull over and fish those panels out of the back (assuming they aren’t at home).

Give me a large moonroof any day or something akin to the sky one touch on a Jeep. These options kinda suck in my book.
Sponsored