Sponsored

DJG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Various
Could’ve also been air suspension settings. R1S and R1T suspension settings may be set up slightly differently due to length and vehicle weight balances.
The videos seem to show the same clearance numbers for each height setting, for whatever that is worth.
Sponsored

OP
OP
kanundrum

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

koersontap

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None!
Occupation
Engineer
You know, I know lots of people here have been (fairly) complaining about lack of a full size spare, and/or space to put one. But watching that TFL video, I couldn't help but think that a full size tire could probably be rigged to stand upright in that under-floor storage space.

Max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Truck
The reviews generated more questions:

What are these measurements (Red and Blue)? If I remove the 3rd row seat, would a full size 21 fit there?

Rivian R1T R1S R1S Reviews Master List: Jalopnik, Inside EVs, TFL, etc 1657123135508

Looks like there is nothing inside and 3rd row armrest can be removed. Will the material behind it is the same as outside or I would expose something ugly.

Rivian R1T R1S R1S Reviews Master List: Jalopnik, Inside EVs, TFL, etc 1657123334127

Reactions: sub

Chinna

First Name
Naren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RIVIAN R1S, MACH-E4X
Occupation
Software developer
Look at the KBB review video, 5'10" presenter fits very well.
Yep and I felt getting in and out is not comfortable for adults

Sponsored

OP
OP
kanundrum

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

Yep and I felt getting in and out is not comfortable for adults

Not a big deal too much that will always be the case with a 3rd row setup but as long as you are comfy sitting I see it as a win.

fromSf

First Name
m
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus Rx450H, 2023 Genesis GV60
From Edmunds review:

The second row of seating, however, is a bit less calming. Riding in the back seat of the R1S both on- and off-road, we discovered a bouncy ride that passengers will experience on anything but the smoothest terrain. There's also a bit of electric powertrain noise coming from underneath the seats that upsets the serenity of the experience. This bumpy ride is particularly noticeable when the R1S is equipped with its more aggressive all-terrain tires. So, if you don't plan on spending much time off-road, we recommend going with the pavement-oriented all-season tires for a better ride quality.
From DigitalTrends Review:
While we were impressed by the handling, there were some flaws. The R1S felt well-damped, soaking up bumps nicely, but still had a significant amount of body motion that caused it to jiggle side to side as weight shifted. And while this SUV could take corners like a sports car, the experience wasn’t much fun.
After reading this, super confused about which tire/wheel option to chose. 95% of my driving is city roads and worried about custom 21'' sizing availability.

Last edited:

sevengroove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition
Guys, finally some good news via Gear Patrol:
Reps for the brand say Rivian has received 90,000 preorders for the electric SUV — and is hustling to deliver them all by the end of this year.
😆 😆

Yossarian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Telluride, Wee-Strom, Lynskey Cooper
Kudos to @kanundrum for collecting and posting all of the R1S info links. Not unexpectedly, the reviews are generally glowing, and serve to make the wait seem even more intolerable.

Speaking of the wait, though I have an R1T Max configured, that's only a place holder until we can order the R1S Max, er "Longer Range." Just when that will be is a big unknown, with Rivian not seeing fit to offer any information on the timetable.

We do know that Rivian is in the process of EPA certification of the Longer Range R1S, or at least that's what CS has been telling me for some time now. It will also be interesting to see what the upcharge for the bigger R1S battery pack winds up being. I suspect that even though its capacity will be less than the 180 kWh R1T Max Pack, the cost will be more than the $16,000 Rivian now gets for that option.

Sponsored

sevengroove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition
From Edmunds review:

From DigitalTrends Review:

After reading this, super confused about which tire/wheel option to chose. 95% of my driving is city roads and worried about custom 21'' sizing availability.
I'd probably still get the 20s and change out the AT tires to AS tires for a minimal cost (assuming a tire shop will buy slightly used ATs) if it really bothered me.

The observation about additional "jiggle" or body roll in the R1S is an interesting one. I do wonder if the drive modes are tuned identically between the T and S. Perhaps they are not as far along with making tweaks to the original T modes to better suit the S? That would also explain why they were showing off the T at the off-road course instead of the S.

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

What are these measurements (Red and Blue)? If I remove the 3rd row seat, would a full size 21 fit there?

1657123135508.png

Looks like there is nothing inside and 3rd row armrest can be removed. Will the material behind it is the same as outside or I would expose something ugly.

1657123334127.png
While I don’t think this will answer your questions about the dimensions you want, there seem to be a lot of good measurements here: https://www.thedrive.com/news/we-me...s-cargo-storage-to-determine-its-usable-space

edit: Oops, just saw this was already posted here, too: https://www.rivianforums.com/forum/...s-cargo-area-trunk-frunk-storage-volume.6638/

Last edited:

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Quad Motor R1T (Selling the Xterra)
Clubs

DJG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Various

1657123135508.png
I think there is enough information to guesstimate it fairly closely (at least close enough to say either "no way, not even close" or "yeah, maybe"). Measure the distance from the base of your back to the top of your shoulders. That is approximately the height of the seat back that is folded. Add 4 or 5 inches to reach the back of the second row. You could also fully deflate the spare to ensure it fits and maximize cargo room. Fully inflated the 21" wheel/tire is 33" in diameter. You maybe shave a couple inches deflated.

I would not expect the height to be enough for the tire to be a level surface however, but that's probably secondary.

Reactions: Max

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs