Sponsored

R1S pre-price increase owners - What R1S configuration would you get if ordering today?

moondog417

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X, R1S
Occupation
Education
Three (functional) row EV: only realistic options are R1S, MX, and EX90.

If I didn’t have pre-hike pricing and both were available to me at the same time, I would buy the Volvo in a heartbeat.
Sponsored

Mark_AZR1T

Site Sponsor
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
jackpucks.com
Vehicles
R1T Launch, R1S Canyon Red
Clubs

I would order dual motor, large battery pack, because extended 7x a year road trips, I 100% want the range. We have a quad motor R1S coming (early price) and of course I have an R1T already.

Volvo out. It won't hit 300 mi (guessing 280 at best), which is unacceptable to us.
Kia out. Nice try, it's a KIA (good on them for efforting they way the do) and more akin to a mini-van.

Frankly, for a 7 seater SUV, nothing compares to the R1S......just ask Marques ;)

Shaqdeez

First Name
Shaq
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mazda CX9
I would order dual motor, large battery pack, because extended 7x a year road trips, I 100% want the range. We have a quad motor R1S coming (early price) and of course I have an R1T already.

Volvo out. It won't hit 300 mi (guessing 280 at best), which is unacceptable to us.
Kia out. Nice try, it's a KIA (good on them for efforting they way the do) and more akin to a mini-van.

Frankly, for a 7 seater SUV, nothing compares to the R1S......just ask Marques ;)
The KIA EV9 is akin to a minivan? Really? I don't see a minivan when I look at that vehicle. I personally think it's a pretty nice looking car. The R1S is better in every way but if you actually don't care TOO much about those differences (Speed, Off Road , Slightly higher range , Storage) then the EV9 is an excellent buy.

mkg3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Unagi, Radio Flyer and Kette Car
Clubs

The KIA EV9 is akin to a minivan? Really? I don't see a minivan when I look at that vehicle. I personally think it's a pretty nice looking car. The R1S is better in every way but if you actually don't care TOO much about those differences (Speed, Off Road , Slightly higher range , Storage) then the EV9 is an excellent buy.
I'd thought that EV9 is a minivan without sliding doors after seeing the reveal.

If you look at the proportions of EV9, it much closer to a minivan than SUV. It has all the cladding to make it look rugged but if you take all that away, its a minivan...

mkg3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Unagi, Radio Flyer and Kette Car
Clubs

Today, I would get dual motor with large pack. My preorder is for quad.

Simple logic for me is that two motor setup is more reliable than quad (less components) AND gets better range.

I've never bought a vehicle based on 0-60 time so that aspect means nothing to me. I do care about how heavy/light the vehicle is and its handling quality.

Some people mentioned about the $80K tax credit limit but if you have the pre IRA signed document, then it doesn't matter. If you do not, then Rivian less than $80k only qualify for $3,500, not $7,000, due to battery source being non-North America, I think..

Sponsored

Shaqdeez

First Name
Shaq
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mazda CX9
I'd thought that EV9 is a minivan without sliding doors after seeing the reveal.

If you look at the proportions of EV9, it much closer to a minivan than SUV. It has all the cladding to make it look rugged but if you take all that away, its a minivan...
Still don't see it:D

Monkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Y, Ford F-350 and lots more…
Occupation
Software Developer
Enhanced dual-motor with max pack... Which is what I want to order. And it's been announced, I've been told I'll be able to configure it, but no such options in the configurator yet... I'm getting conflicting info on whether or not it will be available for us pre-March '22 reservation holders, even though we can configure that for the R1T. Honestly, Rivian is kinda pissing me off on this one. If they force us to buy the quad motor, I may take it, maybe, when my estimated November-ish delivery comes around. But to be honest, I've been a Tesla owner for almost 8 years and also have a Ford Lightning too. I'm not going to buy another EV that gets less than 300 miles on a normal ~90% charge. Done with that. Give me max pack or forget it... Especially since you announced that it will now be available for the R1S.

Picard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, X5 45E
Dual motor, large pack, 21" wheels, LA silver, BM interior @84K . We have the Launch edition with the free 22" upgrade that I really didn't need. My commutes have way too many speed traps and cops to really have fun with the quad motors and I don't off-road. A 4.5sec 0-60 would suite me just fine.

But before folks hammer me with the "well you should not have bought a R1S then" - everything here is hypothetical. I am perfectly happy with the R1S that I have and would not trade that in for anything else in this class....

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
I would buy the exact same truck, except I would get the 22's. I got the 21's because it was faster to get my truck. So I would have spent more money if I could have got the truck at the same time.

BrayBay

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Launch Edition R1S - Forest Green/Forest Edge
Clubs

This thread made me realize what a incredible value Launch Edition R1S were prior to the price hike and tax credit changes.

I still believe there is no three row electric SUV that can match what a Rivian can do. If I had to pick today, I probably would go dual-motor, large pack, and 20" wheels. Probably need to cut back on the color options though.

Sponsored

RayzorBEV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1T QM, '23 R1S QM, '23 MY DM, '24 Cyberbeast
Occupation
Electric bum
My 2023 R1S is on a flatbed speeding towards my house as I write this. It was scheduled for 1400 delivery but the carrier broke down coming from Austin TX; needed roadside repair :( Now it's rescheduled for 1730 delivery :/
My configuration is Quad motor with 21in wheels. El Cap Granite with Ocean Coast interior. My roof bars and rubber floor mats are here, just needs the R1S to arrive safely.

Rivian R1T R1S R1S pre-price increase owners - What R1S configuration would you get if ordering today? Screenshot_20230417_072255_Gallery

Rivian R1T R1S R1S pre-price increase owners - What R1S configuration would you get if ordering today? Screenshot_20230405_102615_Chrome

Rivian R1T R1S R1S pre-price increase owners - What R1S configuration would you get if ordering today? Screenshot_20230405_102639_Chrome

landshark

First Name
Kristina
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Real Estate
Would buy the R1S in a heartbeat again with the largest possible battery for road trips. The Quad motor is overkill but fun. We live up in the mountains and our Kia Telluride just did not cut it in real snow and mud.

I had a Telluride SX for 2.5 years while I waited for the R1S to show up. While some the tech is great for the price point those cool features already had started to break and Kia dealerships had no idea how to fix. I was pretty worried about it lasting long term. Also to me the EV9 does look like a minivan.

rodhx

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, 03 IS300 5spd track/autox
This thread made me realize what a incredible value Launch Edition R1S were prior to the price hike and tax credit changes.

I still believe there is no three row electric SUV that can match what a Rivian can do. If I had to pick today, I probably would go dual-motor, large pack, and 20" wheels. Probably need to cut back on the color options though.
Yeah... the day I took delivery of my R1T was the day I regretted not having reserved an S at the same time. That regret still holds today 11 months & 15k miles later.

BigSkies

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model Y
Clubs

I’m a post-price hike order holder, so I can answer with what I’ve actually reserved.

I’m going with the dual motor, large pack and 21 inch wheels. Dual motor is more than adequate for my needs. I consider the added efficiency a plus as well.

I agree with the point about the smaller battery being more than sufficient for 95% of use cases. But I also want to do some road trips and camping trips in places where charging infrastructure is still sparse. I’m willing to pay the money for those 5% of use cases. But I’d get a second EV with a tiny battery as an around-town car in a few years.

I occasionally want to switch to the 20 inch wheels, but that has more to do with tire options than capability.

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Another Dual motor / large pack here, but I think the 20" price increase is worth it in the long run when looking at AS replacements.

We're pre-price hike, so currently have quad/large configured.

Strangely enough, dual/max R1T is only $1500 more... Do we need a second truck, or can an SUV with less miles be fine?

Also, kinda sucks they'll let R1T pre-price hike holders configure to higher mileage dual motor at lesser cost but not the R1S.
Sponsored