Sponsored

DJG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Various
Wasn't the rear panel always disabled (including R1T) Im sure they'll unlock it via OTA after they do HVAC updates
No, only temporarily locked out between two different OTAs for some strange reason. It's functional again.

drivetorun

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lots
Still a lot of information left to be desired related to the 2nd and 3rd rows (at least upon first glance through the manual). My main questions that remain...

2nd Row:
- There is one reference to being able to recline the 2nd row (when talking about installing/taking out a child's seat), but no information on how you actually recline it. Is there a lever on the side? Do you use the walk-in switch?
- Odd that there's no instruction on how to fold the 2nd row flat (only to tilt and slide for 3rd row access). I'm still assuming you can fold it flat, but no indication of how to do that.
- There's a reference to the 2nd row being able to slide forward and backward along a slider track, but no indication as to whether you can "lock" the second row into a more forward or backward position (to distribute legroom between the 2nd and 3rd rows).
- The 'cargo' animation on the R1S site indicates that the 2nd row is a 40/20/40 split, but there aren't instructions as to how you fold just the center "20" section of the 2nd row (assuming that's still a feature).

3rd Row:
- No clarity around whether there are climate vents dedicated to the third row (and if so, are they just foot ones, are there some in the c-pillar, etc.).
- Can the 3rd row recline in any way? Looking at the manual closer, they use similar verbiage about the 3rd row and installing a child's seat saying to make sure that it's in a fully upright position and not reclined/folded before installing, but this could certainly be a copy/paste text reuse error than actually confirming that the 3rd row can recline.

Last edited:

Tim-in-CA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
🌲🌲R1S, Lucid Air, T-Bird
Besides the climate and lack of 3rd-row cupholders, I discovered another pretty serious flaw:

Screen Shot 2022-05-04 at 2.48.01 PM.png

So you can't leave the lower tailgate down and close the upper liftgate, which means it's a pretty useless feature. Why even bother splitting the tailgate if you can't use the 2 halves independently?
Does this also mean that there is NOT a close button (or open button) on the power operated top half of the hatch? Using the fob/display/phone to close will be a PITA. Also, if there is no button on the top half of the hatch, how do you adjust its opening height. Pretty much EVERY vehicle that has a power operated hatch allows for height opening adjustment. These small misses are getting more and more disappointing ... same as lack of proximity key fob -- also a standard in vehicles for awhile now!

Sponsored

OverZealous

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2023 R1S Quad-Adventure
Occupation
Product Manager / Front-End Developer
Does this also mean that there is NOT a close button (or open button) on the power operated top half of the hatch? Using the fob/display/phone to close will be a PITA. Also, if there is no button on the top half of the hatch, how do you adjust its opening height. Pretty much EVERY vehicle that has a power operated hatch allows for height opening adjustment. These small misses are getting more and more disappointing ... same as lack of proximity key fob -- also a standard in vehicles for awhile now!
Oof, good catch. That would be a huge miss, especially with the requirement that you manually close the lower tailgate, then you have to fumble with a fob or phone to close the upper tailgate?

I have to assume this is just details lacking in the manual, and not a major oversight (and with relatively cheap fix). Right??

Gator42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Defender
No temp controls in the rear, only an indicator. Turns the vents on and off and controls the interior lights in the back. Driver's set temp sets the temp for the back left seat.
Rivian R1T R1S R1S Owners Guide Manual Available! đź“’ (August 22, 2022) Screen Shot 2022-05-04 at 4.09.45 PM

...so I'm reading this right...with the rear screen there's no temperature control for left/right but there is control for airflow upper/lower volume and direction, and seat heat control. The left/right temp is same as for front left/right but it can't be changed with rear screen, yes?

Last edited:

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
Screen Shot 2022-05-04 at 4.09.45 PM.png

...so I'm reading this right...with the rear screen there's no temperature control for left/right but there is control for airflow upper/lower volume and direction, and seat heat control. The left/right temp is same as for front left/right but it can't be changed with rear screen, yes?
Correct, unless by 'volume' you meant the volume of air flow (i.e. SCFM). The fan speed is also tied to the front.

Sponsored

AdamsFan1983

First Name
Silence Dogood
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE in GW
Occupation
Public Relations
<R1S manual drops with HVAC diagram>

Forum: “OMFG THIS IS THE WORST THING EVER AND A HUGE DEAL!” #SHORTSBABY

<Consults R1T Manual>

Me: So, exactly the same as it’s been for months and nobody cared or noticed. Roger that.

xyskis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, 4Runner, Sprinter
Occupation
Surgeon, engineer
<R1S manual drops with HVAC diagram>

Forum: “OMFG THIS IS THE WORST THING EVER AND A HUGE DEAL!” #SHORTSBABY

<Consults R1T Manual>

Me: So, exactly the same as it’s been for months and nobody cared or noticed. Roger that.
I have to say, I was in the back of an R1T last week and surprised that the rear didn't have it's own temperature setting; I kept looking for it during the time I was in the truck and only now realized that it was never an option. Hopefully something that can be fixed OTA?

Killer95Stang

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang, Falcon, F150, Flex and Explorer
Occupation
Engineer
No, only temporarily locked out between two different OTAs for some strange reason. It's functional again.
The rear controls were locked out during my first mile drive today. LE R1T.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
I have to say, I was in the back of an R1T last week and surprised that the rear didn't have it's own temperature setting; I kept looking for it during the time I was in the truck and only now realized that it was never an option. Hopefully something that can be fixed OTA?
It would require hardware — not just software. I wonder if rivian planned for quad climate and the software is lagging (like garage door opener) or if hardware isn’t there then it’ll never happen.

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Quad Motor R1T (Selling the Xterra)
Clubs

The rear controls were locked out during my first mile drive today. LE R1T.
You can enable disable them from the front main screen, which is likely what you encountered today. In a previous software iteration it was locked out likely due to a software glitch not resolved prior to that specific update being released.
Sponsored