Sponsored

shamoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911 GT3, Tesla Model S LR
Occupation
Cybersecurity
If the depth works, I may try to remove my third row seat to accommodate a full size. I know for most people third row seat is more important but even my second row get used only a few times a year.
If rear passengers in your 2nd row are rarely used, curious why you'd even be interested in an R1S with 3 rows of seating.

Overlanding and storage, then toss the tire inside or on a hitch mount. Purely off-roading, then R1S probably isn't the best vehicle.

Just curious.
Sponsored

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
If rear passengers in your 2nd row are rarely used, curious why you'd even be interested in an R1S with 3 rows of seating.

Overlanding and storage, then toss the tire inside or on a hitch mount. Purely off-roading, then R1S probably isn't the best vehicle.

Just curious.
They’re only building it with 7 seats now.

Max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Truck

Just curious.
My config was a 5 seater R1S. 7 seater is a compromise I am forced to make. So the real choice is between the truck and SUV which is a tough one since I do use the bed in my current truck which I may have to keep as long as it runs after R1S or just get a trailer.

I wouldn’t want the spare for hard core off roading. My real life use would be gravel roads to get to a trail head but if I was doing serious off roading I still would choose R1S. R1T wheelbase is just too long. I want the spare because I have had a few blowouts and just don’t want to deal with that situation without a spare or with a donut far from home. So if I can’t fit a full size in R1S, I will just keep the small spare in it and get a full size for travel and do what you suggested.

Some of the reasons I chose R1S: I have found large enclosed space inside an SUV more useful more often for my lifestyle than bed of a truck. Although not as convenient a trailer could make it a truck when I need one. That is why I care about fitting a drywall (width wise) in R1S. I won’t have to mess with a trailer for occasional short Home Depot run. I don’t care if @skyote calls me a hill billy, you will see a plywood sticking out of my R1S.

The other reasons: the larger distance between crossbars on top of R1S is more secure for my sea kayak. Although I don’t foresee this happening very often, having the option to stretch in back of R1S if I have to charge to the max frequently on longer tow trips or even car camping (never done it before). R1S with fronk space makes me want to see how much I can stretch the use of the back. I think the length difference between the two can make some parking spots impossible for R1T where R1S could barely squeeze in and having R1T may frustrate me hunting for parking longer.

Last edited:

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
I don’t care if @skyote calls me a hill billy, you will see a plywood sticking out of my R1S.
Lol, I wasn't sure if that comment would make the edit.

On a serious note, the liftgate cannot latch if the tailgate is down, so I don't believe you'll be able to drive that way. Does make me wonder the overall length from tailgate to the back of the front seats with everything laid flat. 🤔

Reactions: Max

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

Lol, I wasn't sure if that comment would make the edit.

On a serious note, the liftgate cannot latch if the tailgate is down, so I don't believe you'll be able to drive that way. Does make me wonder the overall length from tailgate to the back of the front seats with everything laid flat. 🤔
That's why the bungee cord was invented, although in a pinch a nice taught line hitch or ratchet straps can also work

Sponsored

Max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Truck
That's why the bungee cord was invented, although in a pinch a nice taught line hitch or ratchet straps can also work
I knew I was not the only hillbilly in the house ;). I am sure we can find something on the rear hatch to attach the bungee to (to keep it closed) otherwise I may have to go full hillbilly and strap a 2x4 to the roof rack to keep the rear hatch open. Skyote May be too smart to drive behind me with that setup but I am sure someone will get me on youtube after the accident.

Does make me wonder the overall length from tailgate to the back of the front seats with everything laid flat. 🤔
That is an important measurement along with the opening in the back for anyone considering to carry something large. I don’t believe a plywood can lay flat unless you rig something to raise the floor to the level of third row armrest.

OP
OP
kanundrum

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

OP
OP
kanundrum

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

Rivian R1T R1S R1S Owners Guide Manual Available! 📒 (August 22, 2022) 1653711961716

Rivian R1T R1S R1S Owners Guide Manual Available! 📒 (August 22, 2022) 1653711854345

-Drive Modes Updated (Including Sand)
-Rear Storage
-Spare Tire Storage

Rivian R1T R1S R1S Owners Guide Manual Available! 📒 (August 22, 2022) 1653712408989

Last edited:

MichaelD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Sprinter 4x4 camper van (170)
"control the heating and air conditioning to the rear seats" -- that sounds potentially more functional than just a fan control.

Sponsored

Matty J

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, BMW X7
OP
OP
kanundrum

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

fletch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

Couple of differences I've noticed in the july 25th version, compared to the previous version:

- the manual references software 2022.27.x, which hasn't been released yet (as far as I know)
- added a page at interior -> cargo area
- added a couple of pages specific to the 21" wheels (center caps, removing aero inserts, etc.)
- renamed the "mobile device support" section to "phone"
- added a page explaining shipping mode
- added a warning that gear guard will reduce range

echerod

First Name
Rodolfo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model 3, BMW i3
Occupation
Finance
Couple of differences I've noticed in the july 25th version, compared to the previous version:

- the manual references software 2022.27.x, which hasn't been released yet (as far as I know)
- added a page at interior -> cargo area
- added a couple of pages specific to the 21" wheels (center caps, removing aero inserts, etc.)
- renamed the "mobile device support" section to "phone"
- added a page explaining shipping mode
- added a warning that gear guard will reduce range
A few other additions:
- Proximity locking away from home
- Middle row seats adjustment instructions
- Show and Telll mode (apparently all it does is keep displays and exterior lights on)
- Pet comfort
- Cargo cover
- Instructions on airing down tires for off-road driving

That's all I could find.
Sponsored