Sponsored

DJG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Various
I believe those are the two 120V outlets.

Edit: Looks right according to the diagram:
Screen Shot 2022-05-12 at 4.01.31 PM.png
The outlets would be behind that cover, but the exposed buttons are something else. Most likely they are releases for the third row seats, given the tailgate design would make it near impossible to release from the seat back themselves. Early prototypes were powered 3rd row, but I'm guessing they just went with releases.
Sponsored

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
No, the RJ video is an old design and it's now much different.

1652382725609.png
I wonder if that is the final design. Looks like a lot of gaps in the floor, if that is the final design I will need to fashion a floor covering for those gaps so the pups do not get a leg caught in there. 🙁

Reactions: Rad

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
@skyote might be on to something with his suggestion of an adjustable load floor.
It's the most logical explanation. Now I'm just curious how strong & rigid it is; RJ crawled over it through the back in that earlier video though.

Rivian is working on R1S content, but no idea when they'll release it.

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
I would agree with @skyote that the floor will be adjustable in order to maximize cargo space when needed, and a flat (not level) front to back floor for when car camping or large loads.
Much better job describing than I did. I felt like I was a train wreck trying to explain that in real time!

DJG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Various
I wonder if that is the final design. Looks like a lot of gaps in the floor, if that is the final design I will need to fashion a floor covering for those gaps so the pups do not get a leg caught in there. 🙁
Well, the gaps are caused by the left and middle of the 2nd row being slid forward in this photo.

Sponsored

JayinNJ

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, R1S LE Canyon Red
Thanks for pointing that out! 2 x 120V outlets makes total sense based upon the manual. Maybe the 12V is behind what I think is a cover. If so it seems like an awfully large cover for a single 12V outlet.

I’m really looking forward to seeing a video showing everything about the 2nd row through the tailgate. Like, EVERYTHING.
The compressor is probably behind the door. Just like the R1T.

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

The compressor is probably behind the door. Just like the R1T.
Agreed. However, I think there are 2 doors and the lower one (green arrow) looks like a closer match to the R1T compressor cover size and shape to me. The upper one (yellow) appears to be smaller to my eyes.
Rivian R1T R1S R1S Owners Guide Manual Available! 📒 (August 22, 2022) D3AC82D0-EDC4-40F4-9606-B25A548F98E6

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Agreed. However, I think there are 2 doors and the lower one (green arrow) looks like a closer match to the R1T compressor cover size and shape to me. The upper one (yellow) appears to be smaller to my eyes.
D3AC82D0-EDC4-40F4-9606-B25A548F98E6.jpeg
Keep in mind that the door on the R1T covers both the compressor controls and the Gear Guard cable ports. Remove the cable ports and the door wouldn't need to be as tall.

edit: my guess is the upper door protects the compressor controls (and 12V and 120V outlets) and the lower door secures the compressor hose, fittings, etc.

Last edited:

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Well, the gaps are caused by the left and middle of the 2nd row being slid forward in this photo.
Sure, those are the obvious big gaps. But dog owners should also be concerned about the gaps around the edges as well as the seat back splits.

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

Keep in mind that the door on the R1T covers both the compressor controls and the Gear Guard cable ports. Remove the GG ports and the door wouldn't need to be as tall.

edit: my guess is the upper door protects the compressor controls and the lower door secures the compressor hose, fittings, etc.
Good point about the gear guard ports and I like the hose kit storage in the lower compartment.

I was thinking the hose kit could be stored under the floor or in what appears to be another compartment on the passenger sidewall between the armrest and the tailgate. I’m hoping that’s a storage compartment of some sort and not just dead space. Our LR3 has the jack and tools in that area but Rivian shows the R1S has the jack and tools stored with the compact spare.

If only there were an effective way for Rivian to communicate details about the R1S like in a complete manual or video… then we wouldn’t have to engage in speculation. Of course this is a good way to waste some time as we wait for our R1S deliveries.

edit:typo

Sponsored

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Quad Motor R1T (Selling the Xterra)
Clubs

Notice in the newer pic the load floor behind the 3rd row is flat and level with the cargo bars. In the slightly older pic, the load floor was at an angle providing a flat (but not level) surface from the folded second row seats all the way back. @skyote might be on to something with his suggestion of an adjustable load floor. But since the manual doesn't address, we'll just have to wait until one of us can get hands on. Either way, I still wish a 2-row 5-seat config were an option but I think I can make this work one way or another.

newer pic:
1652382725609-png.png

older pic:
fhemkjnveai-tbl-jpeg.jpg
These are the same vehicle type etc, If you look it appears the rear cargo cover is propped up on an incline to match the seats. You can see if if you look at the rails on the sides of it. Similarly when RJ gets in in his twitter video.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
These are the same vehicle type etc, If you look it appears the rear cargo cover is propped up on an incline to match the seats. You can see if if you look at the rails on the sides of it. Similarly when RJ gets in in his twitter video.
Exactly. You just restated the post you quoted.

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Quad Motor R1T (Selling the Xterra)
Clubs

Max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Truck
Notice in the newer pic the load floor behind the 3rd row is flat and level with the cargo bars. In the slightly older pic, the load floor was at an angle providing a flat (but not level) surface from the folded second row seats all the way back. @skyote might be on to something with his suggestion of an adjustable load floor. But since the manual doesn't address, we'll just have to wait until one of us can get hands on. Either way, I still wish a 2-row 5-seat config were an option but I think I can make this work one way or another.

newer pic:
1652382725609-png.png

older pic:
fhemkjnveai-tbl-jpeg.jpg
A nice surprise that would make my day, would be if the raised floor could accommodate a full size spare. I am fairly sure the diameter would be a problem but a man can dream.
Sponsored