Sponsored

R1S : Oct-Dec Delivery (Now Jan-Feb or Feb-Mar 2023)

dspwalker

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Mach E
Occupation
Sales

Cbarwick

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RR Sport Supercharged, Jaguar F-TypeR, AMG GT Conv
Congrats! I'm in south OC near you with a May 2019 pre-order, hoping to be in the same boat as you soon!
Just got my VIN, looks like I’m R1S # 959. Keep bugging your guide. I sent mine a message asking why somebody that ordered after me just got delivery. 2 days later I had a match. Maybe a coincidence, maybe not.

screamingkarts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S LE, Jeep Wrangler 4Xe
Clubs

Got "THE EMAIL" this evening and confirmed the configuration... hopefully things will move smooth from now.

Rivian R1T R1S R1S : Oct-Dec Delivery (Now Jan-Feb or Feb-Mar 2023) 1664861461335

Sponsored

NashvilleR1S

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S, 2022 Pilot
Occupation
Cinematography
Got "THE EMAIL" this evening and confirmed the configuration... hopefully things will move smooth from now.
Exciting!
We have almost identical builds and same order date...come on email come on!!

protamine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LG R1S, 992 GTS
Occupation
CT Surgery
Update in this thread as well - JUST got my confirm my config email at 12am - OCT 1st. How exact. I was never expecting that after all the let downs and shifting timelines. It seems they may have this machine oiled better now.

Congrats on being selected. I'm Cincinnati with a LG and a 10.2020 order...so close to yours (but in the street config)! I'd love to see your R1S when it arrives if you dont mind. Shoot me a PM.

Condor

First Name
CJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, Rivian R1S
Congrats on being selected. I'm Cincinnati with a LG and a 10.2020 order...so close to yours (but in the street config)! I'd love to see your R1S when it arrives if you dont mind. Shoot me a PM.

I'm also in Cincinnati. I have yet to hear anything other than the stock "we're on track for your Oct-Dec delivery window."
Preorder date 4/2020
Order R1S LE, LG, BM, 20" ATs, no underbody shield

I'm even flexible on wheel choice and +/- shield but have yet to hear anything. The anxious wait continues...

evguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 R1S LE; '18 Model 3 LR
Occupation
Law
Just got my VIN, looks like I’m R1S # 959. Keep bugging your guide. I sent mine a message asking why somebody that ordered after me just got delivery. 2 days later I had a match. Maybe a coincidence, maybe not.
Sweet! I would definitely bug my guide if I had one...

evguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Law
My R1S-specific theory based on anecdotal info and quite a bit of speculation: The R1S pre-order holders who received updated delivery windows of Aug-Sep or Oct-Dec are Launch Edition pre-orders (possibly all of the R1S LE's, since LE's are limited in number). I think the ability to configure LE in your pre-order closed in November 2020ish. So there's a limited number of R1S LE holders (maybe 2k, 3k?), all of whom placed their pre-order between late 2018 and November 2020, most of whom are still awaiting delivery by December. Now that we're in the Oct-Dec window, delivery priority within that window is being determined by some combination of batch production and location, rather than pre-order date. This is why we're seeing some folks who pre-ordered a LE in fall 2020 get the "time to complete your purchase" email before some folks who (like me) pre-ordered a LE in the spring of 2019. Those who win this "batch lottery" (because of color/wheel combo, underbody or other production variables) will be the ones taking delivery in Oct or Nov, rather than December, regardless of their pre-order date.

Anyone have data points, or info from guides, that contradicts this theory?

Sponsored

paariv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Died of old age during the wait
My R1S-specific theory based on anecdotal info and quite a bit of speculation: The R1S pre-order holders who received updated delivery windows of Aug-Sep or Oct-Dec are Launch Edition pre-orders (possibly all of the R1S LE's, since LE's are limited in number). I think the ability to configure LE in your pre-order closed in November 2020ish. So there's a limited number of R1S LE holders (maybe 2k, 3k?), all of whom placed their pre-order between late 2018 and November 2020, most of whom are still awaiting delivery by December. Now that we're in the Oct-Dec window, delivery priority within that window is being determined by some combination of batch production and location, rather than pre-order date. This is why we're seeing some folks who pre-ordered a LE in fall 2020 get the "time to complete your purchase" email before some folks who (like me) pre-ordered a LE in the spring of 2019. Those who win this "batch lottery" (because of color/wheel combo, underbody or other production variables) will be the ones taking delivery in Oct or Nov, rather than December, regardless of their pre-order date.

Anyone have data points, or info from guides, that contradicts this theory?
This is quite likely correct, though I'm not sure if OC configurations got real dates in June of this year; they might all have been punted to 2023. So the 10/16 configuration change deadline will allow Rivian to reschedule based on current ability to produce OC and may move things around because of that.

I asked chat yesterday if they were building anything but BM, and got a vague "I'm sure we are," which is almost certainly untrue. I responded with a polite ask for Rivian to update us on when they're actually making - I'm not changing my config, I just want to know!

I suspect that Rivian doesn't want people shifting configurations en masse to BM. So, even if or when they deign to publicly admit the obvious fact that they've delayed certain interior colors, they're waiting until after 10/16 to say so.

I honestly wouldn't mind if they said on 10/16 "It's BM only for the next 6 weeks. You can change to BM, but you'll be in line behind everyone else who already had it configured." I just want them to be up front about what's going on.

evguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Law
This is quite likely correct, though I'm not sure if OC configurations got real dates in June of this year; they might all have been punted to 2023. So the 10/16 configuration change deadline will allow Rivian to reschedule based on current ability to produce OC and may move things around because of that.

I asked chat yesterday if they were building anything but BM, and got a vague "I'm sure we are," which is almost certainly untrue. I responded with a polite ask for Rivian to update us on when they're actually making - I'm not changing my config, I just want to know!

I suspect that Rivian doesn't want people shifting configurations en masse to BM. So, even if or when they deign to publicly admit the obvious fact that they've delayed certain interior colors, they're waiting until after 10/16 to say so.

I honestly wouldn't mind if they said on 10/16 "It's BM only for the next 6 weeks. You can change to BM, but you'll be in line behind everyone else who already had it configured." I just want them to be up front about what's going on.
Good point, I'd forgotten about the OC issue.

Richland Scott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee/ 2022 Volvo XC60
I think EV guy is likely spot on with his analysis. I also agree with Paariv, it is beyond frustrating that Rivian insists on keeping everything about delivery mysterious instead of simply saying here is what we are are doing and why we are doing it. The truth is, we will get our R1's when we get them. However, actually communicating about why we are getting them when we are would make us long term LE holders much less anxious and cantankerous until they are delivered.

evguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Law
I have to chuckle every time I see a 2021 (or 2022!) R1T order receive their 8 steps and say "my long wait is finally over." They don't know the meaning of suffering....

mike813

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S GW/OC/20 | 2020 Tesla Model Y
Clubs

1664861461335.png
Great news - congrats!

@evguy, your theory sounds right to me. Hoping for a batch of CW/BM R1S headed to Florida soon. I sure would like to have mine in time for a thanksgiving road trip - need that guide contact or config confirm email first!
Sponsored