Sponsored

R1S misaligned lift gate(s) - gaps and assembly issues

Zeusy Zeus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

People should be happy for the money they spend, but I don't really care much about this (if I did, I would work to get it fixed as best it could weighed versus the time and effort to get it done).
I disagree with this statement. Regardless of how much cheaper you’re getting the vehicle than others post March 2022 or whatever there’s no excuse for these kind of issues from a manufacturer. Especially when the SC is stating they can’t fix it. If I take delivery and the vehicle has this issue I’ll refuse and I suggest everyone else does the same. Fix it or get out of the auto business Rivian.
Sponsored

proto

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Alfa Romeo Stelvio, Lincoln MKC
I’m super happy with the service I’m receiving regarding my liftgate. Initially after hearing the liftgate horror stories here I was going to just live with it (I had all the same issues as you), but I took it in for something else and had them look at the liftgate while I was at it. They immediately said they wouldn’t be able to fix it themselves, but that if I could go without it for a while (they gave me a R1T loaner) they’d send it to the body shop. It had been there for about three weeks when I needed to get my sunglasses out to take on vacation. No problem, I went to the bodyshop and they walked me to my car. To my amazement the liftgate looks perfect. It’s still there because they are waiting for a replacement for the panel above the taillight which they couldn’t get perfectly flush.

Hopefully it will be completed by the time I get home. I’ll post photos when I do get it back.

Lmirafuente

First Name
Lionel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla, Audi Cabriolet
I have a 2023 model year with a build number under 600.
So the lift gate issue is not a QA issue but a physical/mechanical issue in order to have the auto lift gate feature. I was informed by my SC they are working on a fix and not sure when that would be available.

They did adjust mine the best they could. it is better but not perfect.

I was at a RAN charging station next to a two week old R1S with the same issue and told the owner he could get that adjusted to look like mine.

I would be curious to see a perfect tailgate owner and see if they would open their lift gate to see what the hydraulic arm or hinge the arms are connected to looks like.

I happen to have pic from 2020 R1S prototype of the lift gate so you can compare the difference. This could be a supply chain issue of available choices for the arms or other physical challenges that requires a redesign. Just a guess on my part…

Rivian R1T R1S R1S misaligned lift gate(s) - gaps and assembly issues 1685543078423

diehlryan

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2023 R1S
VIN PN 68XX - No alignment issues at all on tailgate and liftgate.

LL75

First Name
lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
I have a 2023 model year with a build number under 600.
So the lift gate issue is not a QA issue but a physical/mechanical issue in order to have the auto lift gate feature. I was informed by my SC they are working on a fix and not sure when that would be available.

They did adjust mine the best they could. it is better but not perfect.

I was at a RAN charging station next to a two week old R1S with the same issue and told the owner he could get that adjusted to look like mine.

I would be curious to see a perfect tailgate owner and see if they would open their lift gate to see what the hydraulic arm or hinge the arms are connected to looks like.

I happen to have pic from 2020 R1S prototype of the lift gate so you can compare the difference. This could be a supply chain issue of available choices for the arms or other physical challenges that requires a redesign. Just a guess on my part…

1685543078423.jpeg

It looks like it is impossible to fix unless they redesign it.

Sponsored

VHRivian

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Chevrolet Traverse
VIN just under 6000 and my tailgate was off bad enough that the liftgate was rubbing and scratched the paint on the tailgate. Quick fix at the Normal service center and everything is dead-on perfect. Liftgate did not need any adjustment.

DB-EV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1s
I disagree with this statement. Regardless of how much cheaper you’re getting the vehicle than others post March 2022 or whatever there’s no excuse for these kind of issues from a manufacturer. Especially when the SC is stating they can’t fix it. If I take delivery and the vehicle has this issue I’ll refuse and I suggest everyone else does the same. Fix it or get out of the auto business Rivian.
Hi - looks like a miscommunication. I intended to convey that for the money you spend (regardless of order date it is a lot), one should be happy. In my case, I was happy enough to not bother. In your case you seem unsatisfied with the situation so it may make sense to push on it for you. You should do what makes you happy.

jpmc86

First Name
Juan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Mercedes GLK 250, 2009 Mercedes E63
Occupation
Engineer
Our 01/23 production date R1S also has similar issues. Mostly the gap between the drivers side roof and the tailgate. It’s a bit much if you ask me.

I am going to start working with my guide on notating and waiting until they have a better MFG process. To be honest, this method of having them ship a replacement, painting, plus adding the window is a bit cumbersome and also probably depreciating from a market value standpoint. It is no longer original paint.

I was at the Miami service center and it’s a hit or miss. I see some that are perfect, some that aren’t and all recent May production dates.

The best case scenario is they make a replacement campaign assembled and painted at the factory shipped for a direct install.

We should be receiving like-for-like as it was intended. No one gave us a discount for the depreciation, but also the time spent from our personal time off. This ain’t a one off, clearly.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model Y
I just brought in my R1S to the Chicago SC for the same issue but not as bad as the OP’s. They said they will try and fix it the best they can. They also mentioned the water leak test at factory. Sounds to me that their priority is to pass the leak test even if it means some panels be misaligned. I think it’s to push for more deliveries. Deliver now, fix later.

For reference, below is my front driver side fender and rear lift gate.

Rivian R1T R1S R1S misaligned lift gate(s) - gaps and assembly issues IMG_8220

Rivian R1T R1S R1S misaligned lift gate(s) - gaps and assembly issues IMG_8221

Sponsored

RIV206

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘23 R1S, '23 Model Y
Clubs

Rivian R1T R1S R1S misaligned lift gate(s) - gaps and assembly issues IMG_6702

Just took delivery 4 days ago and noticed this today on the front pax door.

OP
OP
Amped

Amped

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Volvo, Porsche
LATEST UPDATE ON THE LIFTGATE ISSUE:

- Rivian offered to 'fix' the misalignment for the 5th time. In fact they flew a tech from their factory whose specialty was to deal with R1S liftgates.

- They compensated the wonky alignment by lining things up differently and as best as they could but it's far from perfect. Perfect was not the goal here. The door is sitting further in now and the tail lights line up a tad better than before. So one thing has been fixed only to set something else off.

- Worst part: randomly the liftgate doesn't shut close now. It happens frequently. One time is too many times if you ask me. I don't know what causes it nor is that the point. Yes I can shove it close manually by using my hand but that's also besides the point.

- Rivian offered to put us in touch with their leadership team and legal department to figure out a solution whether if it'd be a buy back, a replacement, or whatever else. We have not heard from Rivian although we've followed up with them. They are ghosting us. No word. No resolution, nothing. It is utterly sad because we wanted to work in good faith and work towards something without having to resort to litigation which we told the staff at our Rivian Center as well. Their apologies and 'wanting to make things right' to use their own words hold absolutely no ground. Empty words. It is so weird and so disappointing.

- We have no choice but to hire a lemon law attorney and we have. Rivian did this to themselves. We, again, did everything we could, over a course of many months, to avoid a lawsuit. For a company that has done such an awesome job of creating a perception for their brand and wanting to stand behind their products, their actions have fallen very short. They have not only not solved the problem but they're also completely ignoring us now eventhough we have repeatedly followed up with them to see if they have any constructive answers for us. They can't fix the liftgate. Their techs can't do anything more so where does that leave us? Are they wishing for us to go away and if so what does that say about them as a corporation with public IPO? We know we have a solid case here. There's been more than 3 unsuccessful attempts, the limit is 3, under less than a year. We are dealing with an absent management team who seem clueless in handling lemon cases and as they soon shall learn Rivian isn't exempt just like all other auto manufacturers. Lemons exist and so do lemon laws to protect consumers.

I find this entire experience so disheartening especially when Rivian's VPs and CEO use rhetoric about making exceptional products and creating meaningful experiences. Yup RJ, we need to hold you to it. That's why my wife and I enthusiastically ordered our R1S and invested in RIV stocks. BUT at $80K+ we much prefer for our 'adventure' not to be hindered by a moody and poorly-aligned liftgate that may not shut! We'd like for innovative 'forever adventurous' SUV that we waited 3 years for and ordered sight un-seen because we put our faith in a start-up that would do things differently than the competition to simply perform the essential functions of an SUV and if that isn't an option then let's work it out. Good customer service to me means valuing customers and not dodging difficult issues when push comes to shove. It means working towards real solutions. May I add that I'm also overlooking our R1Ss other flaws which my wife and I have been willing to compromise -- other panel gaps and poorly assembled parts, charging issues, and critical hardware malfunctions such as digital screens going dark mid-drive on the freeway, just to name a few.

May I offer a few ideas for what you could've done differently team Rivian: You could've taken the car back and given us an R1S with a better assembled liftgate a long time ago, traded our R1S for an R1T - something we told you we were very open to, or offered to do a buyback working with us directly without an attorney getting involved which would've saved you significant amount of time, energy and money in lawyer fees and punitive damages should the company lose this case!

Last edited:

Sevn86

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2025 BMW X5 M Sport
Occupation
Sales
LATEST UPDATE ON THE LIFTGATE ISSUE:

- Rivian offered to 'fix' the misalignment for the 5th time. In fact they flew a tech from their factory whose specialty was to deal with R1S liftgates.

- They compensated the wonky alignment by lining things up differently and as best as they could but it's far from perfect. Perfect was not the goal here. The door is sitting further in now and the tail lights line up a tad better than before. So one thing has been fixed only to set something else off.

- Worst part: randomly the liftgate doesn't shut close now. It happens frequently. One time is too many times if you ask me. I don't know what causes it nor is that the point. Yes I can shove it close manually by using my hand but that's also besides the point.

- Rivian offered to put us in touch with their leadership team and legal department to figure out a solution whether if it'd be a buy back, a replacement, or whatever else. We have not heard from Rivian although we've followed up with them. They are ghosting us. No word. No resolution, nothing. It is utterly sad because we wanted to work in good faith and work towards something without having to resort to litigation which we told the staff at our Rivian Center as well. Their apologies and 'wanting to make things right' to use their own words hold absolutely no ground. Empty words. It is so weird and so disappointing.

- We have no choice but to hire a lemon law attorney and we have. Rivian did this to themselves. We, again, did everything we could, over a course of many months, to avoid a lawsuit. For a company that has done such an awesome job of creating a perception for their brand and wanting to stand behind their products, their actions have fallen very short. They have not only not solved the problem but they're also completely ignoring us now eventhough we have followed up with them to see if they have any constructive answers for us. They can't fix the liftgate - so now what? Are they wishing for us to go away and if so what does that say about them? We have a solid case here. There's been more than 3 unsuccessful attempts, the limit is 3, under less than a year.

Please don't use 'we're a new company' and 'the early adopter' bullshit as excuses - not when Rivian's VPs and CEO use rhetoric about making exceptional products. At $80K+ I prefer for my 'adventure' not to be hindered with a liftgate that won't shut! I'd like my innovative 'forever adventurous' SUV that I waited 3 years for and ordered sight on-seen because I put my faith in a start-up that would do things differently than the competition and that would mean valuing its customers, to at least have a tail gate that works. That's overlooking its other flaws that I'm willing to compromise - other panel gaps and poorly assembled parts, charging issues, and hardware malfunctions such as digital screens going dark mid-drive on the freeway, just to name a few. A working liftgate is not much of an ask!
Sorry to hear this is still an issue op. Mine is now 95% better but with them lining up the trunk it now has the right part of the inner light bar pushed in vs the outer light. So that’s no longer flush.

Rivian R1T R1S R1S misaligned lift gate(s) - gaps and assembly issues IMG_8002
Sponsored

Last edited: