Biturbowned

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘20 Model Y, ‘22 R1T
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

It would be cool for them to geofence the limiter for drag strips…
Sponsored

Ravenron

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Engineer/Retired Military
Yep, that makes a lot of sense. The tires I'm sure are a huge limiter. Again, 7000lbs, 800+HP...yeah I want some stout, high speed rated tires! AT's probably are going to cut it! I wonder if the 20's, 21's, and 22's all have their own unique limiter MPH's? Or at least AT's vs the other two.

While I agree it would be fun, I think I'm OK with Rivian trying to keep me alive (says the 48 year old me, the inner child disagrees). I'm that nitwit that if it'll go 130, I have to see. When I first got a Model S Plaid in June '21, they were limited to 163MPH and I just had to see. That thing accelerated so hard to 163 that it felt like it hit a wall when it reached the limiter. A soft wall, but it was very noticeable. I'm thinking the R1's would feel the same at their limited MPH.
According to Tire Rack (universal source of all tire knowledge), the stock Pirelli tires (all sizes) are speed rated "H" (=130mph).

With that in mind, 120mph vehicle limit certainly seems safe and reasonable. Just my $.02.

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management
I'm perfectly happy with a 110 limiter for the rest of us given tires, brakes, etc. at this weight. There's no real need to push it any higher to win some youtube dick measuring contests.

If Rivian wants to unlock a Model 3 style drag/track mode (maybe with a PIN/timout/geofence/whatever), I have no real objection, but it's not for me and should absolutely disable enough creature comforts (cruise control, etc.) to make it clear what it's for.

Ravenron

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
I'm perfectly happy with a 110 limiter for the rest of us given tires, brakes, etc. at this weight. There's no real need to push it any higher to win some youtube dick measuring contests.

If Rivian wants to unlock a Model 3 style drag/track mode (maybe with a PIN/timout/geofence/whatever), I have no real objection, but it's not for me and should absolutely disable enough creature comforts (cruise control, etc.) to make it clear what it's for.
This message brought to you by the "Fun Police"!

Seriously, vehicles must be driven safely and responsibly, given location and circumstances, but I don't see a need to introduce additional "nannies" to the system. I don't need more oversight in my life, especially from my vehicle...that said, I alone am responsible for my actions and consequences and therefore refrain from excessive stupidity. I prefer to have a capability and not use it than have someone else arbitrarily determine what capabilities I do and don't need.

Case in point: My last car was a 2018 Hellcat Challenger capable of top speeds of ~200mph. Did I drive 200mph - no; did I, in a controlled environment, enjoy the extra-legal capabilities of this vehicle (track, strip, etc.) - oh yes! Hell, Dodge even paid for Hellcat buyers to attend the Bondurant Racing School in Arizona. Never hurt myself or others or even received a speeding ticket.

A car/truck with extreme capabilities can be driven responsibly and I don't want or need artificial constraints applied just because it makes others nervous...my choices in cars is specifically because of these performance aspects. Ultimately, take care of yourself and refrain from purchasing vehicles that you aren't comfortable with.

Just my opinion and we all get one for free. I understand your viewpoint but respectfully disagree (opening statement for entertainment purposes only ;))

moosehead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Ioniq 5, ‘78 Jeep Wagoneer
Our trucks are so bad ass.

That Super Snake has always done it for me, and I came real close to getting the Urus’ sister vehicle, the RSQ8.

Zero buyers remorse.

Sponsored

windblowlc

First Name
Loc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911 Turbo S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo Coupe
Occupation
Retired
FWIW, there's no need for an Urus when there's a Rivian. And just for kicks, I want to drag race my modded Cayenne Coupe Turbo against my R1T but my wife refuses to participate. 😄

Ravenron

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
FWIW, there's no need for an Urus when there's a Rivian. And just for kicks, I want to drag race my modded Cayenne Coupe Turbo against my R1T but my wife refuses to participate. 😄
In the interest of "helpin' a Brother out", I'll be more than happy to drive either one in her place! Just sayin' ;)

windblowlc

First Name
Loc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911 Turbo S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo Coupe
Occupation
Retired
In the interest of "helpin' a Brother out", I'll be more than happy to drive either one in her place! Just sayin' ;)
Wish I could have the speed limiter bumped up for the race. :)

RBR1S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S preorder holder; '14 JGC,'20 Subaru Crosstrek
Considering that it's software -.... Just add a "1/4 Mile" mode where the limit is up higher and once you reach that speed, as soon as you let off the accelerator, it drops out of that mode and will no longer go that fast. and of course it has safety things built in that mode so you don't fry something.

I mean I'm not a software genius or anything.
Sponsored