First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Model X P90D
September 14, 2022

DETROIT
-- The North American Car, Truck and Utility Vehicle of the Year Awards organization announced the 26 semifinalists for the awards, which will be announced in January.

The semifinalists were culled from a list of 47 vehicles, which ties for the longest list of eligible vehicles in the awards' history. A record 19 battery-electric vehicles were eligible this year.

Car Semifinalists
  • Acura Integra
  • BMW i4 eDrive40
  • Genesis G80 EV
  • Genesis G90
  • Mercedes-Benz C Class
  • Mercedes-Benz EQE
  • Nissan Z
  • Subaru WRX
  • Toyota Crown
  • Toyota GR Corolla
Truck Semifinalists
  • Chevrolet Silverado ZR2
  • Ford F-150 Lightning
  • Lordstown Endurance
Utility Semifinalists
  • Audi Q4 E-Tron
  • BMW iX xDrive50
  • Cadillac Lyriq
  • Genesis GV60
  • Honda CR-V
  • Honda HR-V
  • Kia EV6
  • Kia Sportage
  • Lexus RX
  • Mazda CX-50
  • Nissan Ariya
  • Rivian R1S
  • Volvo C40 Recharge
Fifty journalists from the United States and Canada vote on the awards, which are handed out annually. Once the field is narrowed, the semifinalists are tested throughout the fall, with a group test in October. The finalists are announced in November and the awards will be revealed in January in Detroit. Autoblog Editor-in-Chief Greg Migliore is a member of the jury.

The Honda Civic (car), Ford Maverick (truck) and Ford Bronco (utility) won the 2022 awards.
Sponsored

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Quad Motor R1T (Selling the Xterra)
Clubs

It's interesting the T and other trucks didn't make the truck category

mikehmb

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
eGolf, i3, R1T
Is the list of semi finalists literally every new vehicle on the market (or “substantially improved”)? From their website language, it would appear the R1T doesn’t qualify because it was introduced for MY22. But Lordstown … doesn’t exist, at least with vehicles?

Reactions: Rad

Sponsored

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Jeep Wrangler 2DR, 2022 R1T
Occupation
Utilities
Clubs

mike813

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S GW/OC/20 | 2020 Tesla Model Y
Clubs

As it should be. If the R1S doesn't win the SUV of the year from every publication something is up. In my unbiased opinion. 😂

Hoo D. Hoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 Prius, 2022 Pacifica PHEV, 2023 Bolt EUV
Occupation
Curmudgeon

TexasBob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
This afternoon I finally drove the 14 miles to the Rivian service center to see an R1S in person. All I can say is WOW, WOW, WOW. It is an absolutely amazing vehicle. Just stunning in person. There were a half dozen on the lot in various colors and just wow. The photos and videos do not do it justice.

Mine will not be here until who knows when with a Nov 2021 reservation date, but the guys and Inside EVs may be right: best SUV ever made, ever. This thing has to be a hands down favorite for SUV of the year.

Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Is the list of semi finalists literally every new vehicle on the market (or “substantially improved”)? From their website language, it would appear the R1T doesn’t qualify because it was introduced for MY22. But Lordstown … doesn’t exist, at least with vehicles?
They are starting production soon. Was supposed to be this month but I believe it was pushed back. I kinda lost interest in them when they went fleet only sales.

I was offered to drive one of the prototypes but haven't managed to arrange a time to. Maybe they'll have pre-prods in testing by then.

Last edited:

timf

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

R1S did not make the list of finalists. Those honors go to the Cadillac Lyriq, Genesis GV60, and Kia EV6.

fotoflux

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Onewheel
to each their own. hands down would rather buy the R1S over any of the finalists.

R1S did not make the list of finalists. Those honors go to the Cadillac Lyriq, Genesis GV60, and Kia EV6.
Sponsored