First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus LX470
Occupation
IT
Sorry That info has not been made public that I can find.... They compare it to a RangeRover so those dimensions will get you close but exact measurements have not been published.

monzarottie

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, MB Sprinter 4x4, R2 Reservation
Occupation
Retired

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Yeah, I'd love to know the rear opening dimensions so I can order a TransK9 crate for my pup.
https://www.transk9.com/products/spacesaver-cages-boxes/
Yes, I'm in a similar boat and transk9 is also on my short list. Given that R1S deliveries are still basically a year out, I will be waiting to see if Rivian might be offering their own dog accessories. I met RJ at the Mill Valley event and asked what kind of accommodations and crash protection they might offer for our k9 passengers but he wasn't ready to answer that question just yet. He did mention his family has a big Lab so hopefully that means the topic is being addressed. If not, we should certainly be able to get some measurements once production spec vehicles are made available for test drives.

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
Just curious, in the case of a crash how is:
1) The box secured to the vehicle
2) The dog secured inside

I've seen dog harnesses, and curious overall how this would be better, other than keeping them in a more confined space.

Sponsored

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Just curious, in the case of a crash how is:
1) The box secured to the vehicle
2) The dog secured inside

I've seen dog harnesses, and curious overall how this would be better, other than keeping them in a more confined space.
Keeping them in a more confined space is really about the best you can do as it keeps them from be ejected outside the vehicle or into a human passenger in the event of a crash. It also keeps them from wandering away from the vehicle after an accident where their people have been incapacitated.

Some of these crates can be tethered into the vehicle should the crate be small enough to actually move around much in the cargo area.
Rivian R1S interior dimensions? {filename}

We use harnesses now because they are the best available option with our current vehicle. But even those are of limited effectiveness because it is really difficult to keep a dog seated in a forward facing position to optimally distribute the impact load across their torso. Worse yet is the tendency for dogs to get flipped around and spin out of their harness. And then there is just the general poor quality of many of the available pet restraints (harness, crate, etc) with something like 25 out of 29 products failing in one way or another.

Here's some scary video involving crash test dogs:

monzarottie

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, MB Sprinter 4x4, R2 Reservation
Occupation
Retired
Yes, I'm in a similar boat and transk9 is also on my short list. Given that R1S deliveries are still basically a year out, I will be waiting to see if Rivian might be offering their own dog accessories. I met RJ at the Mill Valley event and asked what kind of accommodations and crash protection they might offer for our k9 passengers but he wasn't ready to answer that question just yet. He did mention his family has a big Lab so hopefully that means the topic is being addressed. If not, we should certainly be able to get some measurements once production spec vehicles are made available for test drives.
Here's a little more regarding the safety features of the TransK9 crates
https://www.transk9.com/crash-testing/

PostMinivanDad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21' Pacifica PHEV, 23' 3 row Model Y
I am really hoping full interior measurements like hip room and opening sizes (not to mention seating configurations for each row and the access mechanism for the third row) will be revealed once the configurator goes online. Dog cages, children car seats, boosters – for me, dimensions and interior practicalities are more important than colors/infotainment/battery choices at this time…. If stuff doesn't fit, it's a deal breaker.

jeeden

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Ford Explorer Limited, 2015 Ford Mustang GT
Occupation
Project Manager
Clubs

Looking at a spreadsheet someone posted on the cu ft of space in the back I'm kind of surprised. It seemed it had quite a bit, but is showing only 7 compared to the 18 of my current explorer. The explorer has a well, but it seems the rivian has a well that can be closed. the explorer is pretty carved out on the interior and feels a lot bigger than it is, but maybe the rivian isn't quite as big as I thought. Doesn't matter a ton because we have the third row down most of the time, but was looking forward to keeping the current space I have and then adding the trunk. Thoughts?

Babbuino

First Name
Manuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3
Occupation
DESIGN engineer
Looking at a spreadsheet someone posted on the cu ft of space in the back I'm kind of surprised. It seemed it had quite a bit, but is showing only 7 compared to the 18 of my current explorer. The explorer has a well, but it seems the rivian has a well that can be closed. the explorer is pretty carved out on the interior and feels a lot bigger than it is, but maybe the rivian isn't quite as big as I thought. Doesn't matter a ton because we have the third row down most of the time, but was looking forward to keeping the current space I have and then adding the trunk. Thoughts?
Length wise they are very similar otherwise it wouldn't fit in my garage lol

Rivian R1T R1S R1S interior dimensions? upload_2019-10-22_13-18-38

Sponsored

PostMinivanDad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Just got off the chat with a Rivian CS rep, asked about the interior dimensions:

-Hip room, leg room etc: To be revealed.

-Q: Where is that 5 cubic feet rear bin? A: Under the rear cargo area. There will also be storage under the second-row seats.

-Q: What is the cargo area size behind the third row, not counting that bin? A: 7.1 cubic feet (confirms the numbers discussed here).

Comment: 7.1 cubic feet is not much, but, adding the frunk with 11.7, it makes a bit more than a Volks Atlas at 18.1. I won’t count the under-cargo area bin (might be used by the spare if you get it) or the second row under seat storge until we see how usable they are.

I also asked about 3rd row access, if the 60/40 will be a car seat safe tilt or a fold and tumble: To be revealed.

jeeden

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Ford Explorer Limited, 2015 Ford Mustang GT
Occupation
Project Manager
Clubs

The numbers are still odd though. The back area looks so much bigger than the explorer, but the explorer 18 (must be bin and behind seat) is more than the Rivian 13 (7.1 + 5). Maybe the other brands count all the way to the ceiling or something. I guess 5 cubic feet can be little carve outs in the side panels etc.

PostMinivanDad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
The numbers are still odd though. The back area looks so much bigger than the explorer, but the explorer 18 (must be bin and behind seat) is more than the Rivian 13 (7.1 + 5). Maybe the other brands count all the way to the ceiling or something. I guess 5 cubic feet can be little carve outs in the side panels etc.
I read before that some makers count differently, but I think the SAE standard for SUV trunk space is to the top of the seat back – cargo over that would be a projectile danger/visibility issue.

You are right that the pictures make it look larger and that 7.1 cubic feet seems wrong: An example of measurements for that volume would be 44 inches wide, 23 inches high and 13 inches deep.

The R1S cutaway picture that has been circulating online does seem to show a space similar if not larger than the Explorer/Aviator… Which have about 48 inches of width and 20 inches of depth: This means the cargo height is 34 inches to arrive at 18 cubic feet - seems about right for the seat back height.

I wish they would just post pictures with roller bags etc…
Sponsored