Alan
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Vehicles
Lexus LX470
Occupation
IT
Sorry That info has not been made public that I can find.... They compare it to a RangeRover so those dimensions will get you close but exact measurements have not been published.

electruck

Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Volvo XC60
Yeah, I'd love to know the rear opening dimensions so I can order a TransK9 crate for my pup.
https://www.transk9.com/products/spacesaver-cages-boxes/
Yes, I'm in a similar boat and transk9 is also on my short list. Given that R1S deliveries are still basically a year out, I will be waiting to see if Rivian might be offering their own dog accessories. I met RJ at the Mill Valley event and asked what kind of accommodations and crash protection they might offer for our k9 passengers but he wasn't ready to answer that question just yet. He did mention his family has a big Lab so hopefully that means the topic is being addressed. If not, we should certainly be able to get some measurements once production spec vehicles are made available for test drives.

skyote

Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps & 2500HD Duramax
Just curious, in the case of a crash how is:
1) The box secured to the vehicle
2) The dog secured inside

I've seen dog harnesses, and curious overall how this would be better, other than keeping them in a more confined space.

electruck

Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Volvo XC60
Just curious, in the case of a crash how is:
1) The box secured to the vehicle
2) The dog secured inside

I've seen dog harnesses, and curious overall how this would be better, other than keeping them in a more confined space.
Keeping them in a more confined space is really about the best you can do as it keeps them from be ejected outside the vehicle or into a human passenger in the event of a crash. It also keeps them from wandering away from the vehicle after an accident where their people have been incapacitated.

Some of these crates can be tethered into the vehicle should the crate be small enough to actually move around much in the cargo area.

We use harnesses now because they are the best available option with our current vehicle. But even those are of limited effectiveness because it is really difficult to keep a dog seated in a forward facing position to optimally distribute the impact load across their torso. Worse yet is the tendency for dogs to get flipped around and spin out of their harness. And then there is just the general poor quality of many of the available pet restraints (harness, crate, etc) with something like 25 out of 29 products failing in one way or another.

Here's some scary video involving crash test dogs:

monzarottie

First Name
Roger
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit
Occupation
Retired
Yes, I'm in a similar boat and transk9 is also on my short list. Given that R1S deliveries are still basically a year out, I will be waiting to see if Rivian might be offering their own dog accessories. I met RJ at the Mill Valley event and asked what kind of accommodations and crash protection they might offer for our k9 passengers but he wasn't ready to answer that question just yet. He did mention his family has a big Lab so hopefully that means the topic is being addressed. If not, we should certainly be able to get some measurements once production spec vehicles are made available for test drives.
Here's a little more regarding the safety features of the TransK9 crates
https://www.transk9.com/crash-testing/