First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC90 T6
Occupation
Retired
Has anyone got information for the R1s about the default and maximum distance from the ground to the interior threshold? I suspect they will offer a "step-up" accessory of some kind, but I'm a bit concerned about my wife's comfort in negotiating a climbing challenge every time she enters the vehicle. We have a Volvo XC90 now and it appears to me that the R1s is likely to be a little taller than that vehicle.
Sponsored

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Has anyone got information for the R1s about the default and maximum distance from the ground to the interior threshold? I suspect they will offer a "step-up" accessory of some kind, but I'm a bit concerned about my wife's comfort in negotiating a climbing challenge every time she enters the vehicle. We have a Volvo XC90 now and it appears to me that the R1s is likely to be a little taller than that vehicle.
I would bet it is probably not much higher if any than the XC90. The suspension actually has a lower setting for getting in and out so probably will be pretty easy.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
I doubt a numeric measurement would tell the full picture, anyway. Minivans, for example, tend to be low to the ground but have high seating positions.

A Tacoma Pre-Runner or 4x4 has a relatively high measurement from the ground to the bottom of the foot well, but the seat is really low to the floor.

The best thing to do is wait until you can actually sit in one, yourself. No measurement is going to give you a good idea of what it's like to live with.

Reed

First Name
Reed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 Toyota Tacoma, March/24 Reservation for R2
Occupation
Retired
In the write-ups about the Rivian vehicle in the Rebelle Rally, the navigator was described as very short. It was also stated that she was having some awkward moments getting into the vehicle.

I seem to remember reading that Rivian paid attention to comments from the team and would be doing something to address this issue.

Assume that if they changed something in the R1t entry, they would do the same for the R1s.

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

twysocki,

From the following thread link about the R1T, member skyote gave the following info in entry #633. I hope he's good with me sharing this. If not, I'll expect a scathing, yet humorous retort. There are no actual heights given, as I believe we have yet to parse that data from the daily onslaught of releases from Rivian. If you enjoy drinking from a fire hose, you might get thirsty very quickly hanging out here.

"There are 5 "ride" height settings:
1) Kneel (entry/exit)
2) Aero
3) Normal
4) Off Road 1
5) Off Road 2"

https://www.rivianforums.com/forum/threads/real-photos-videos.885/page-43

The pictures just before entry #633 should give you some sense about the height of the floorboards. I hope this provides some helpful info.

Remember, patience is a virtue......

Last edited:

Sponsored

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
I hope he's good with me sharing this.
How dare you repost something that I wrote on the Internet! ;)

If my wife needed help, I'd lay down & let her walk all over me just like she does at home.

@twysocki , jokes aside, I think she'll be fine. Kneel mode looks very low to me, and I'm sure there will be aftermarket options (maybe even a Rivian accessory option) if kneel mode isn't quite enough.

I'm pretty sure this is kneel mode.
Rivian R1T R1S R1s height from ground to interior threshold Rivian R1T prototype spotted San Jose 1

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

How dare you repost something that I wrote on the Internet! ;)

If my wife needed help, I'd lay down & let her walk all over me just like she does at home.

@twysocki , jokes aside, I think she'll be fine. Kneel mode looks very low to me, and I'm sure there will be aftermarket options (maybe even a Rivian accessory option) if kneel mode isn't quite enough.

I'm pretty sure this is kneel mode.
Rivian R1T prototype spotted San Jose 1.jpeg
Thanks, Skyote! I figured you'd have both an answer for twysocki and an appropriate response for me. I used to kid my wife that she walked on the ground that I worshipped. She never found the knives, either...?

Regarding the height of the R1T pictured here, I don't think it looks any higher than my XC60, and I'm pretty certain that the XC90 that twysocki has sits higher than my Volvo. Again, we should get to try them on before we have to commit.

Best of luck, all!

ravian

First Name
Debarshi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Sienna
Since I have a similar situation here are some open questions and thoughts:

Solution 1: Kneel Mode
1. Will kneel mode be low enough?
2. Does it cause mechanical wear and tear on the air suspension to keep bringing the vehicle down to kneel mode and then bring it up to normal again.
3. How much time (in seconds) will it take to get to kneel mode? I mean you don’t want to be waiting for eternity for the vehicle to lower before you can hop in or jump out without a parachute.
4. Can the vehicle automatically get into kneel mode as soon it is put into park? or even better GPS linked like in Tesla?
5. Can the vehicle run in kneel mode throughout without issues? If yes, would it have at least as much clearance as a regular sedan to avoid hitting normal road obstacles?

Solution 2: Running Boards (preferred)
1. Will Rivian offer running boards as an option?
2. If yes, how will it affect range?
3. If no, would it be possible to add after market running boards?

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T
Since I have a similar situation here are some open questions and thoughts:

Solution 1: Kneel Mode
1. Will kneel mode be low enough?
2. Does it cause mechanical wear and tear on the air suspension to keep bringing the vehicle down to kneel mode and then bring it up to normal again.
3. How much time (in seconds) will it take to get to kneel mode? I mean you don’t want to be waiting for eternity for the vehicle to lower before you can hop in or jump out without a parachute.
4. Can the vehicle automatically get into kneel mode as soon it is put into park? or even better GPS linked like in Tesla?
5. Can the vehicle run in kneel mode throughout without issues? If yes, would it have at least as much clearance as a regular sedan to avoid hitting normal road obstacles?

Solution 2: Running Boards (preferred)
1. Will Rivian offer running boards as an option?
2. If yes, how will it affect range?
3. If no, would it be possible to add after market running boards?
Vehicles with height adjustable suspensions generally will stop lowering if a door is opened. This is to prevent you from trashing the door by lowering it onto something such as when you’re next to a curb.

I doubt that it will let you travel with the truck in kneel mode. You’ve likely taken most of the air out of the shocks at that point and could damage them driving it that way. It might let you go to 5mph or so before automatically reverting to a normal drive height.

cwoodcox

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Ford Expedition
Occupation
Software Engineer
if there’s any kind of air pressure storage on board (I bet there is) then it should be able to adjust height pretty quickly. Most cars with air suspension can lower quite quickly but take a little longer to go back up. A small air tank somewhere would make it much quicker.

The only part that would wear “excessively” from using kneel mode would be the compressor, and it’s the easiest to replace. Air shocks fail but new systems are very good. The most common failure point in my experience is the compressor, or the valves outside the shocks.

I wouldn’t be worried about wear at all, from using kneel. I’ve personally driven hundreds of thousands of miles in 6 different vehicles with air suspension and only seen one shock fail, and one compressor (which wasn’t mine).

Sponsored

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
if there’s any kind of air pressure storage on board (I bet there is) then it should be able to adjust height pretty quickly. Most cars with air suspension can lower quite quickly but take a little longer to go back up. A small air tank somewhere would make it much quicker.

The only part that would wear “excessively” from using kneel mode would be the compressor, and it’s the easiest to replace. Air shocks fail but new systems are very good. The most common failure point in my experience is the compressor, or the valves outside the shocks.

I wouldn’t be worried about wear at all, from using kneel. I’ve personally driven hundreds of thousands of miles in 6 different vehicles with air suspension and only seen one shock fail, and one compressor (which wasn’t mine).
Compressors typically fail because there is a leak in the system causing it to run too much. Wouldn't surprise me if Rivian will be able to monitor the compressor duty cycle and/or system pressures to detect a problem and reach out to schedule maintenance long before the compressor goes bad.

Edit: Dealerships certainly can't offer that level of service. Have to wait for something to fail and then hope they can figure it out.

cwoodcox

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Ford Expedition
Occupation
Software Engineer
Compressors typically fail because there is a leak in the system causing it to run too much. Wouldn't surprise me if Rivian will be able to monitor the compressor duty cycle and/or system pressures to detect a problem and reach out to schedule maintenance long before the compressor goes bad.
That’s really common. My 2012 Expedition does this, when it gets VERY cold up here, it will usually throw a “SERVICE AIR SUSPENSION” code because it runs so often for the first few minutes. The compressor warms the air as it pumps and the vehicle gets up to the ride height it wants and then, since it’s so cold, the air cools and shrinks and it has to run it some more. After 5 or so minutes of off/on it will throw a code and give up for that drive. Either that, or it has to run for a LONG time because it’s so cold, that it can’t get the vehicle up to spec height in 1 minute so it stops the compressor and sets the code.

My 2001 Oldsmobile didn’t do this, and a shock failed before a long road trip (audible leak) but the compressor wasn’t loud enough to be heard in the cabin, so I didn’t think to pull the fuse. It was dead in just a day or two.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE

Edit: Dealerships certainly can't offer that level of service. Have to wait for something to fail and then hope they can figure it out.
FWIW, the compressors Volvo uses are known to fail, but it's because they use an "open" system and in some climates (seems to be linked to heavy salt use on the roads) the compressor seizes up.

I'm curious to learn what Rivian has done, if anything, to prevent these issues. I'm hoping they have added a dryer element and filter to keep debris out.
Sponsored